Things that are asking to be nerfed in one way or another

By now some may know I absolutely hate the Cool Steam Vent (output being at 110C) particularly because of the restrictions enacted on Steam Turbines (needs 125C minimum) and the Liquid Tepidizer (85C maximum, but creates more heat than it takes to power). Despite that I do love challenges and there are some things that I think could definitely be more of a problem and not just be another exploit.

* Wild critters and wild plants can just be mass farmed for no loss of resources and gain of food. If they required to be fed and fertilised all the same, just less for what you get, the only problem would be setting up ecosystems surrounding them to make sure they can eat and expel something the other can eat in some way. For example one critter could feed on what a plant in its spawned environment provides, while they excrete something that is absorbed into soil that the plant can then consume and keep growing. We can already see this to some extent being done with shine bugs and bristle blossoms.

* Many buried objects to me have always seemed like a get out of a bad situation card. If instead more seeds and a few more critters were found in biomes themselves, which required food whether wild or not, that would be yet another game changer.

* Germs need to be restored to their former glory. I don't really have a need for a doctor otherwise and the lack of food poisoning side effects and threat of death from slimelung really isn't fun. Another cool idea I had was having mushrooms spread through a germ type of their own besides any bit of fungus you had to plant.

* Gas not turning to liquid when below certain pressure in pipes. I don't know if this is intended, and while it allows for some extra builds it looks more like something that shouldn't happen, at least not with as much passing pressure as you can deal with.

* Printing pod gives you printables way too often. Some duplicants have bad enough that the current system allows you to just never even consider taking them and some people get too many duplicants when starting out but sooner or later you adapt and it becomes way to get lots of free stuff, many things that you have not even discovered. What if they required to be scanned at the printing pod to be given as an option to be printed? If the pod took 10 cycles to give one printable that would further increase the risk of your colony going down. Rejecting a printable could recharge it in a shorter period of time, making each choice you make during the printing count. Every duplicant choice then, and especially early on counts. Wild shove voles have been subject to this exploit method in particular and in the base game, you could even just throw a bunch of wild ones in a small box and over time have enough food to last forever.

* Many buildings that take metal ore suffer from the fact that they can't take any refined metals to make. Plug slugs also can't eat refined metals for some reason. These changes would be great, but what would be another great barrier is if more materials were required to make certain buildings, glass in particular. Atmo suits could be made to require plastic and glass, conductive wires plastic and some other buildings like the liquid tepidizer or the aqua tuner some glass as well. It would make some of the most desired buildings behind a material requirement, which would provide some extra challenge as opposed to just going the route of repairing suits (I personally don't mind that either). Oxygen masks and may be even glossy drecko ranches then would be a must have before getting into any more advanced suits.

21 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

* Gas not turning to liquid when below certain pressure in pipes. I don't know if this is intended, and while it allows for some extra builds it looks more like something that shouldn't happen, at least not with as much passing pressure as you can deal with.

Very much intended. It's hard coded to 10% of the pipe capacity.

* Printing pod gives you printables way too often.

Yeah, I feel that way too. The best solution would be for the printing pod to work once every (number of dupes) cycles. So 3 dupes, once every 3 cycles, 1 dupe, once every cycle, and 16 dupes, once every 16 cycles.

* Many buildings that take metal ore suffer from the fact that they can't take any refined metals to make.

You can in almost all cases use manufactured materials instead, ie. steel or thermium. The really annoying thing for me in this respect is that you can't use diamond to replace glass in many buildings.

5 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Very much intended. It's hard coded to 10% of the pipe capacity.

Is that for some processing reasons? This hidden "feature" appears pointless as an implementation.

5 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

You can in almost all cases use manufactured materials instead, ie. steel or thermium. The really annoying thing for me in this respect is that you can't use diamond to replace glass in many buildings.

I would much prefer the option, since you can use steel and thermium for all of these types of buildings. Seems almost more like an oversight that was never bothered with. Fire poles in particular look like the sort of thing you wouldn't want to make out of unfiltered metal :culpability:

Solar panels are an example of explicitly requiring glass and diamond not being available. Could have something to do with that being too easy, but the more logical approach could be to have them also require refined metal and generate heat as that would make sense and should put "solar panels OP in DLC" complaints to rest.

3 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

I would much prefer the option, since you can use steel and thermium for all of these types of buildings. Seems almost more like an oversight that was never bothered with.

Steel was originally in the refined metal category. It was moved to the manufactured material category specifically be able to replace ore, like thermium. Note that niobium is also technically an ore.

6 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

Solar panels are an example of explicitly requiring glass and diamond not being available. Could have something to do with  that being too easy, but the more logical approach could be to have them also require refined metal and generate heat as that would make sense and should put "solar panels OP in DLC" complaints to rest.

I was specifically thinking about pixel packs but I guess it's fair enough. They're already quite OP for decor bombing. Solar panels can still be destroyed by meteors so you still run a slight risk by using diamond.

And yes, I ignore DLC related comments on this forum, as it doesn't apply here.

52 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

Is that for some processing reasons? This hidden "feature" appears pointless as an implementation.

I think that might be a semi QoL reasons. Small packets can heat up or cool down much faster than big ones and you don`t want your pipes to break when the pump grabs a few mg of liquid and it instnatly boils.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

I think that might be a semi QoL reasons. Small packets can heat up or cool down much faster than big ones and you don`t want your pipes to break when the pump grabs a few mg of liquid and it instnatly boils.

Pipes break a lot even with high packets so this really just results in an exploitative mechanic. Personally not a fan of the way pipe damage system works to begin with, it could do with a rework, like if one pipe breaks, all contents start spilling out through it. Wires usually only break in one place when an overload happens, while pipes can just keep breaking onward until one of them breaks completely. And if duplicants keep repairing them before they break completely, you will end up with a ton of pipes broken creating a marginal tedium of cleaning up.

4 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

Pipes break a lot even with high packets

Pipes break a lot if the temperature difference is high. What i`m talking about is random pipe breaks when the temperature difference is almost nothing but still high enough to boil or freeze the contents if it`s a super low amount.

It`s kind of a programming shortcut to avoid a tedious issue that gets exploited by the players.

On 4/24/2021 at 5:03 PM, ZombieDupe said:

Germs need to be restored to their former glory.

yes 100%. Germs completely not a threat. Actually, once I lost my colony, it was +100% hunger +max epidemic. I dig in slime biome around 12 cycle, and soon almost all my dupes catch slimelung, and in same time there was no enough oxygen in toilet room, and they stuck in toilet loop (run in toilet, did not finish their business inside, run out, take a deep breath, back to toilet, and so on until death from starvation (which happen pretty fast)).

I absolutely hate the Cool Steam Vent (output being at 110C)

Everything ok with cool steam vent

* Wild critters and wild plants can just be mass farmed for no loss of resources and gain of food.

It would be interesting to do something like rolling lifecycle for plants and animals - like animal die, and from it dead body new plant grow. If animal did not eat plant, it can't lay egg. But think it is too complicated-balance-breaking update which will never happen

Printing pod gives you printables way too often.

no. You may disable non-duplicant feature if you think it give many benefits. I prefer to build 100-dupes colonies, and slow printing pod is a big nono for me

Many buildings that take metal ore suffer from the fact that they can't take any refined metals to make

yes, completely agree.

Many buried objects to me have always seemed like a get out of a bad situation card.

Think everything ok with buried objects

Gas not turning to liquid when below certain pressure in pipes.

Liquid not turning to solid also. I always think it is exploit, and just did not use this feature.

Archived