Rework firestaff and fire dart

I think they should do better damage wise for burning for destructive tools as they are,
Fire darts should burn away 10% of a mob's hp while it would perhaps overtime burn down 1-2% of boss hp.
Fire staff would be better at doing fire dart damage with faster burn, but at less percentage health.

I'm only suggesting this to give a use for mostly useless items that we got.

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

They are far from useless. Niche but not useless

In ruins and against raid bosses are usefull. Works well against hound waves too

Ever considered scaled suits? :P they work better for dealing with, hordes. Also, torches do well enough to do ruins if you wanna stunlock creatures like bishops and such.
For real, fire staffs and fire darts aren't all that amazing. I think they are one of things that deserve a buff besides nightlights that also kinda fall short in usefulness. These items are very much forgotten by the community.

10 minutes ago, Mantas said:

Ever considered scaled suits? :P they work better for dealing with, hordes. Also, torches do well enough to do ruins if you wanna stunlock creatures like bishops and such.
For real, fire staffs and fire darts aren't all that amazing. I think they are one of things that deserve a buff besides nightlights that also kinda fall short in usefulness. These items are very much forgotten by the community.

Fire staffs are much cheaper and ranged. Fire staff helped me a lot when i was too noob to know how to deal with certain bosses or get the magic tier early

Idk, there is plenty of items forgotten by the community just because they dont get out of the same strats like night armor or fire and ice staffs (a little more used but not in all his potential)

Edit: what i think is that willow should deal more damage with them or recover sanity using them instead of losing

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Idk, there is plenty of items forgotten by the community just because they dont get out of the same strats like night armor or fire and ice staffs (a little more used but not in all his potential)

The thing about ice staffs is that they are universal and passive. They are a utility tool while fire staffs are nothing more than sheer chaos with little benefits.
If we speak about bosses is that they get fire resistance stacking on them, they will take less on outside sources so I think that buffing special tools to combat that would really benefit the items themselves and have actual potential.
... As I said, using a simple thing as a Torch to set creatures on fire does the job easier than making a whole other item like fire staffs. They don't have the practical combat or general use. Nobody will use fire darts either cause normal damage with blowdarts do a better job and faster. 
What I'm saying is that fire darts or fire staffs should be good for dealing as an additional damage with the things such as the Enlightened Crown and such. Nothing bad about speeding up boss fights and burn down their fat heavy layers of HP with that.

4 hours ago, Mantas said:

I think they should do better damage wise for burning for destructive tools as they are,
Fire darts should burn away 10% of a mob's hp while it would perhaps overtime burn down 1-2% of boss hp.
Fire staff would be better at doing fire dart damage with faster burn, but at less percentage health.

I'm only suggesting this to give a use for mostly useless items that we got.

10% of beequeen's health is 2,700 hp and 1% is 270 that is way too much damage. They currently help chip away at BQ's hp from a distance which is great for how cheap they are. Rather if we were to truly buff the fire staff then it would be better if the fire damage stacked with other fire sources, maybe indicated by a larger flame or changing its color. 

I think it's fine the way it is. I just wish Willow wouldn't burn things she set on fire since a cool strat for her is to set mobs on fire and attack them while they burn. 

using a simple thing as a Torch

you are losing dps using a torch as melee weapon instead of using a fire staff when you can aproach the enemy and is more dangerous

Nobody will use fire darts either cause normal damage with blowdarts do a better job and faster. 

i used them a lot agaisnts deerclops since i could have them crafted before winter meanwhile blowdarts are only avaraible in winter, also they can warm you. They are a "noob" item like there is others and works fine. Also you can combine both

i wont be against an improved staff made with fire staf+moon glass. Like how you use glass to focus light we could have glass items that focus the magic

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I can agree with howlvoid and and you for sure that magic items like that should at least get some type of improvement. I'm just brainstorming on it could be, cause in singleplayer it maybe can be called as a 'noob item' but in DST we got bosses up to 100k health and we still resort to things like strength increasing characters like Wolfgang, Wigfrid and pairing anyone with goat jellies.

Overall I like the fire stacking ability and flame change with it, would have been cool if that would have happened in Willow rework with fire items reworked, but in general I'm just seeking some improvement cause I horded up to more than full red gem chest which drains wayyyyyyyyy slower than blue gems when I use them for specific fights.

300-500 damage isn't a lot considering that we got enough lategame items to deal more damage and the characters, buffs- repeating myself here. But simply put, combat items like that need some rework to work with current standards of DST, both PVE and PVP wise I'd like to think.

Night lights have their use in the ruins, where nightmare fuel is more abundant than any other fuel type (even though in DST nightmares don't leave free fuel after despawning unlike in single player, it's still abundant). Night lights also don't produce heat, so they are better than campfires/furnaces during summer caves/ruins activities since they don't overheat player, and don't require to kill boss unlike mushlights/glowcaps; I think they are a good use for red gems. Also red gems as any other can be used as fuel for Winona's G.E.M.erators, so one doesn't need to sacrifice more valuable types of gems.

Fire staff isn't useless since there is a lot of oven designs requiring ranged igniting tool, such as ovens for pigs, bunnymen, monkeys, etc, and even if design allows to use torch, monster characters/Wurt can have hard time using torch in such designs. For beefalo riders fire staff + thermal stone in winter is a good combo (but fire staff + clothing also works), if one doesn't want to remount beefalo (especially handy for owners of ornery ones). Fire staff is still ranged attack, so it can be used to kite first hit of Dragonfly instead of ice staff; other people said already that in the long fights fire damage adds up (although fire rework would be cool, in my opinion). On the other hand, fire staff doesn't cancel bishop's first attack, unlike ice staff, and since the whole point is to take less damage or not take it at all, I'd rather either hit bishop with torch 1 time and do the rest of the hits with normal damage weapon, or use ice staff to freeze bishop in labyrynth to loot protected chest without taking damage and leave. Also I didn't tested it yet, but in theory fire staff could be better than torch (due to short igniting animation and ranged nature) on the lunar island to burn hounds's corpses and prevent horror hounds from spawning, especially if fight hasn't stopped yet. So in the end, fire staves are quite good, and are a tools with a lot of potential.

For solo worlds there is always an option to rollback and in general there is less chaos going on, but in multiplayer life giving amulets are spent much more frequently, therefore it's another item to sink red gems into.

As for fire dart I agree with you that it needs rework, this item is outclassed by fire staff (for fire effect) and blow dart (for damage), the only advantage is that it requires science machine to prototype instead of shadow manipulator in case of fire staff, and doesn't have negligible -1 sanity per use.

Archived