3-tile wide waterfall

26 minutes ago, Occam Blazer said:

Is there a way to reliably create a three tile wide waterfall in a single-gas environment?

I believe you can do it if you start them in sequence. Left-to-right, or right-to-left I forget which.

What's causing the waterfall to break at the bottom?

1 minute ago, ghkbrew said:

I believe you can do it if you start them in sequence. Left-to-right, or right-to-left I forget which.

What's causing the waterfall to break at the bottom?

I start it left to right. Don't know what's causing it to break at the bottom. This is my device for starting it.

20210330182722_1.jpg

Try to do 3-tile wide oxygen waterfall in carbone dioxide environment. If you will drop -200C hydrogen, it will froze carbone dioxide into solid state, and nice vacuum will fix your problem. 

Spoiler

maybe

8 minutes ago, degr said:

Try to do 3-tile wide oxygen waterfall in carbone dioxide environment. If you will drop -200C hydrogen, it will froze carbone dioxide into solid state, and nice vacuum will fix your problem. 

Reveal hidden contents

maybe

Well, I need it in polluted oxygen....

Definitely doable (see my picture to the left, which is a stable 20+ wide waterfall).  

The wide waterfalls I made in my first post on this topic were made right-to-left. 

The second post just required jump starting things (again right-to-left), and then they stayed stable. 

The extra airflow tiles you have at the top of your configuration could potentially be a problem, as the configuration at the top can mess stuff up (it's not always the bottom). This probably isn't the issue, but could be.

If you encounter a change anywhere along the fall from one type of gas to another, that will break things. Does any gas other than PO2 ever enter the picture?

If you don't have enough liquid to persist through save/load, that could also be the issue. The amount needed to get it running is not the same as the amount needed to keep it running through save load.  Your valve settings may need to be adjusted.  Exact valve settings are given in the second post above, with the computations around them to prove they are correct.  Before that second post, I had posted some incorrect stuff that got propagated around the web and now shows up more often than the correct information.

There are lots of things that could be breaking your setup, but not enough information to figure it out from what you've provided.  

Is the liquid polluted water or something else? Polluted water has it's own issues, and it may be that the simulation is somehow allowing PO2 to off-gas in a place you don't want it to. I haven't tested polluted water in waterfalls, as that adds an extra gas dynamic. If you are using any other liquid, then I'm pretty sure we can isolate the problem and explain exactly why it's breaking. If the liquid is PW, then the random offgasing mechanic might be the issue. :) 

20 hours ago, mathmanican said:

The wide waterfalls I made in my first post on this topic were made right-to-left. 

Thanks. That design seems much more reliable.

If you encounter a change anywhere along the fall from one type of gas to another, that will break things. Does any gas other than PO2 ever enter the picture?

Pretty sure it's a mono-culture of gas. Atmosuits everywhere and a double liquid lock to enter with an atmo-breach detector between.

Is the liquid polluted water or something else?

I started out with polluted water, but switched to plain water because I suspected random off-gassing.

21 hours ago, mathmanican said:

If you don't have enough liquid to persist through save/load, that could also be the issue.

It's an infrequently created waterfall and I've noticed it mid-game.

21 hours ago, mathmanican said:

There are lots of things that could be breaking your setup

I realized that I have some shipping rails going through the waterfall transporting slime, so I bet that's what was doing it.

This is the new setup.

20210418181220_1.jpg

Archived