sudden hydrogen evapourisation

I use this setup for a last 100+ cycles. Suddenly it start to boil and I think around 10 tons of hydrogen return back into gas state. 

I check, look like each liquid hydrogen tile have -255 - -256 celsius, supercoolant below -260. I suppose couple kilograms of oxygen appear inside of chamber, but it was frozen into solid state with -256C immediately. Is it oxygen?

hydrogen.thumb.jpg.6092b810faddd662dc474a929e701a5d.jpg

Even if made of insulation, your insulated tiles will provide a little bit of heat for this to happen. It should stabilize, eventually.

44 minutes ago, degr said:

I suppose couple kilograms of oxygen appear inside of chamber

Use gas overlay to confirm. It should not be the case. Oxygen is very much solid when in the range of liquid hydrogen.

Most likely you filled the current level of liquid and started a new layer. Partial evaporation (also known as flaking) would easily cause this. The two insulated tiles on the left and right at the new liquid layer (4th tiles up from bottom) are the likely suspects. Check their temperatures.  They will slowly drop till partial evaporation can no longer occur. Thermal conductivity is irrelevant in the calculations so even insulated insulation is suspect. Each time you hit a new threshold on liquid storage you will have the same problem unless you plan ahead and mitigate the issue first. 

I see normal gas pipes, not insulated ones.
My hypothesis is that maybe You accidentally feed the chamber with oxygen You mentioned via hydrogen gas pipes. Oxygen became liquid inside pipes before reaching gas vent damaging gas pipes and falling into liquid hydrogen. As liquid oxygen fell onto liquid hydrogen it started exchanging heat cooling down to solid oxygen but evaporating some amount of hydrogen.

Well sounds reasonable but You mentioned 10T of hydrogen. This is outside of possibilities for this mechanism.

Is insulated insulation really exchanging heat?

I found reason - 

hydrogen.thumb.jpg.7b49ecf3dd29aaae9a4aadd408e21dba.jpg

This tiles was made from obsidian, and in beginning of the cycle their temperature was in range [-80, -100]. At the end of cycle their temperature is -250. So, insulated tiles suddenly and rapidly consume my hydrogen chill. Yes, obsidian was mistake, but however - from -100 to -250 during 20-30 sec. Why it happen?

5 hours ago, degr said:

This tiles was made from obsidian ... Why it happen?

I took a little liberty editing the quote to explain:

Your problem starts the material.

Then the steam turbines below are providing heat.

Material choices other than obsidian for insulation (cold environment) in order from better to best:

• Igneous rock. Mafic rock.
  • Ceramic.
  • Insulation.

How to fix? Lots of work needed, choose one of the following:

• A. Add layer of tile on top of the pipes on the bottom of hydrogen pool (it does not need to be insulated).  This would move the liquid pump and pool up 1 tile. A metal tile would be best to so you make the most of the aquatuner.
  • B. Change insulated tile material.
  • C. Add insulation to make double layer.
  • D. Make a vacuum for steam turbines below: layer of liquid that is already there should be good enough for cooling instead of oxygen. (Don't freeze the liquid, though.)

That's the standard solutions I can think of for now.

Hope it helps.

Fortunately it was build in space biome, so it was easy to remove gas. Anyway, it should not transfer heat so fast. There should be some kind of equilibrium - it should take chill from hydrogen, and heat from turbine, so, it should be for an example -200. And it is insulated tile, so it should exchange temperature much slower. It is obsidian, so, in 5 times faster then igneous rock, but not for 30 sec.

Think it is bug, but now I have vacuum layer on bottom, problem solved.

Archived