1 hour ago, SixbySix said:

Someone should mod in that the first pass on the desalinater turns brine to salt water, then the second one turns it to water.   :)  Any takers .......

Process logic would lean towards a more natural order of:

Salt water → Brine + Water

then

Brine → Water + Salt.

Managing that does introduce more logistics... so there's that.

To actually get salt water then a new piece of equipment would be needed to combine water & salt. A mod could be useful for the hardware that would do either that first combination or do the process: water + brinesalt water.

I would push for being able to farm waterweed with brine as well... (I'd already ranted about that some time ago) And if brine is used, then boost waterweed in some way - either growth speed or produce yield.

Since we're brainstorming mods then one could actually take this a step further and say we mod the ice maker to take salt water to provide brine + ice.

41 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Isn't Brine more concentrated salt water..?

[from ONI-wiki "5 kg/s Salt Water = 4.65 kg/s Water + 350 g/s Salt, 5 kg/s Brine = 3.5 kg/s Water + 1.5 kg/s Salt"]

Correct.
The order of extraction follows the arrows.

Freezing salt water in-game gives us brine + ice. (Solid water then.)

Then, passing the brine through the desalinator gives us water + salt.

The desalinator accepts either salt water or brine and adjusts product amounts accordingly (Salt + water).

I'd recently put together a salt water "freezer" and found that it is more practical than just using the desalinators... (Building it is resource intensive, but several savings were perceived down the line.)

So a "new" machine that would accept both water and brine in order to combine them should in theory output salt water.

I'll fix the process a bit.

So it would look like:

Brine goes into desalinator and produces Salt water + Salt.

I mean, I guess that the desalinator itself could actually be modded by someone to do such intermediate step now that you point it out. To respect the way the piece of hardware is coded then the output salt water would still come out at 40ºC+

Interesting.

Archived