Pragmatic Steam Turbine Setup - Design Review :)

Hi everyone,

someone will probably be entering this post thinking "yet another steam turbine post" or something along this lines :-D. Reality is, after DLC came out the Terra planetoid changed quite a bit being more limited in terms of resources.

I've delved quite a bit in game builds and mechanics and the more i learned the more i loved the pracmatic/simple/small system approach comprared to iper complex mega buildings etc.

So i had this lava source at the bottom of the planet and a couple of steam vents and have been experimenting in debug mode to find something suitable for survival that wouldn't require endless cycles to build or super late game materials/dupes inspired from what i've seen around the internet and on this forum.

Needless to say i dislike the bug/exploit approach so wanted to build something "fair" that is true to the game spirit.

so what i have come up is something along these lines:

DJKbdDy.jpg

The water tank above is intended to be every water source you can come up. In this example i am returning "exhausted" hot water back in the container but can be routed where needed (i.e. to electrolyzer to generate oxygen and delete the heat)

In the spoilers more details for the only 2 view involved: pipes and automation should you be interested.

Spoiler

Pipe View:

R08ay8u.jpg

Automation View:

UcjDO0t.jpg

Turbine Room

• Hydro sensor is set to activate "below ~50kg" to avoid turbine flooding
  • Thermo sensor is set to activate at "above ~90° C" to avoid overheat and let water exit and renew the water in the closed loop with fresh one.

Heating Room

• Thermo sensor: activate "below 200° C" to maximize power generation of the turbine
  • Atmo sensor: activate "below 2000g "

Looking forward to your feedbacks before moving to build it in survival.

save file attached if anyone want to try it "hands on".

Tenedas

Radioactive Dreamland.sav

You may want a larger steam room with more mass to even things out and prevent temperature bounces that cost you heat.  Make it three tiles tall and put Tempshift plates in the middle three tiles of the middle row.

If you really want smooth, consistent power, control each door from a different Temp Sensor with ~2deg of difference between each sensor. (but that is overkill)

You shouldn't need a second pump in the Turbine room.  If you're balancing the heat from the Steam room correctly, you can keep the turbine cool enough by snaking the Turbine output around the room using Radiant pipes then dump it back into the steam chamber.

This design will give you insurmountable headaches down the line and I'll give you the reasons why.

1. should anything else other than water enter the system, and don't rule this out, it happens. You'll have unwanted stuff in the turbine's steam room, eg, if that's oil or petrol, you'll be spending the next 20+ cycles trying to remove it, with the potential of releasing a very inconvenient steam bomb into your base.

2. There's too much mass, you don't need all them doors.

3. Using the turbine output water to cool the turbine is very unreliable.  If the turbine gets closer to it's optimum operating temperature of ~190c, the output will not be able to cool it enough and the turbine will stop working.  Even if you are using an external source, the water is going back into that external source, slowly heating up your base, which is an even bigger headache.

4. Having a temp sensor close the turbine output valve is a waste of time, if the turbine output goes directly to the steam room and you use the correct amount of water, you shouldn't have any problems.  If you want some delay before the steam room is to be cooled by the 95c water, then snake the output or have a loop multiplier, that fills up before it starts to empty into the steam room.

5. There is no petroleum in the steam room.  There's a reason for this, but I can't remember why, something to do with heat deletion or something.  It also helps to spread and even out the temperature.  General rule of thumb, Always use petrol in your steam room, just enough to cover each floor tile.

From my experience, the most reliable solution is to use a dedicated Aquatuner loop to cool the turbine.  You can usually get away with attaching directly to the Turbine circuit, which also attaches to the large side of a transformer feeding your power grid, but you'll need to use Steel for sure. 

15 hours ago, Craigjw said:

5. There is no petroleum in the steam room.  There's a reason for this, but I can't remember why, something to do with heat deletion or something.  It also helps to spread and even out the temperature.  General rule of thumb, Always use petrol in your steam room, just enough to cover each floor tile.

The heat deletion bug is no longer a concern. (-:

1 steam turbine is not enough, and I can't understand why you spill water from turbine. If you want to chill turbine with 95C water, you may put metal pipes and achieve same chilling effect without water spilling. Not sure, but I think 95C turbine can't produce a lot of power, so almost everything should go to power-up your nice water pumps on right and top. And yes, too much doors.

Spoiler

From left to right:

best - average - worst.

spomair.thumb.jpg.4c769dfad2713e1deacdaaab3be8c6b6.jpg

Yes, I build large and not efficient.

Archived