So I am wondering... Does radiation have any impact on early game?

Wheezeworts and Shine Bugs emmit early game radiation and we can encounter it on the asteroid surface, but do we really need to care about them...? When dupes have 100 rads/cycle passive reduction is there any need to pay attention to this? Unless we are making shine bug reactor or wheezewort cooling farm, my understanding is that duplicants will safetly absorb any early game rads, reducing new system to oblivion until we decide to ranch beetas and refine uranium... 

Am I correct? or is here something scary about the radiation?

If I am right, I feel the values should be tweaked (by devs or in-game options) so the radiation consisted a real threat to our base

Yeah... It was a one-day radiation sickness vomit-flood :lol:. After that, everything run smoothly without any worries.

Spoiler

My colony cycle 110 started recently after Beeta patch. Shine bugs moving around and a little space build. No signs of sickness so far.

1806674926_RusticBurrowc110.thumb.JPG.d031695797c87ea8c4c519fd2de61c64.JPG  1249687267_RusticBurrowc110space.thumb.JPG.87d9cb168ac73ab3f94f41f74bf31433.JPG 

Even Beetas do not seem to be a problem. They are not tamable (as far as I know.. They attack-die in dupe sight unless you let them sleep in CO2) and have small radiation radius.

Spoiler

300733424_beetaradius.thumb.JPG.db75b37ee8d7507936526ed008f53f5c.JPG

I am still waiting for a "uranium emits radiation+germs" update but so far radiation seems safe enough if you are not building anything extreme. 

It`s possible that difficultysettings will affect the passive rad reduction in the future. For now it`s ok that it isn`t too opressive when we don`t have much countermeasures other than special suits. If we get some ways of curing radiation sickness when dupes get actually affected then they can crank up the amount of radiation created.

They could also make different radiation levels based on planetoid or even different for each space tile (visible through starmap) so that certain areas of space are more dangeorus.

2 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

I am still waiting for a "uranium emits radiation+germs" update

I think they mentioned something about encasing dangerous resources. Maybe when they make uranium more dangerous they will add a machine that can put it in a safe container for transport so we get both a problem and a solution.

It definitely feels non-threatening completely, so I do think they will tweak up the numbers a bit. I just hope it won't become basically harmless like diseases.

What I'd like to see it done is the realistic way. Dupes having very low Rad loss per cycle (Or even 0 maybe), but the radiation would need to accumulate for a very long time to become a problem for them. Like, dupes could have 10 Rad loss per cycle, most sources would radiate them 50 per cycle or more, but they would need a 10000 Rads or more to start having problems. This way it would be like temperature management, something that brings you down sneakily if you don't pay attention to it and start working on it early.

2 minutes ago, Unfawkable said:

It definitely feels non-threatening completely, so I do think they will tweak up the numbers a bit

Guess what... :lol:

Spoiler

[update 454967]

"Duplicants no longer continually reduce their Absorbed Rad Dose, instead cleansing their rads in large amounts while peeing or vomiting."

But also how you describe it (low level of rad gets deleted but continuous exposure accumulates) but no extreme vomit until later.

Spoiler

[update 454967] "Adjust radiation sickness tuning. Duplicants no longer vomit at the minor sickness level."

I can confirm a dupe can get sick  loitering around 3 wheezeworts continuously but the level seems to even out around minor sickness (given enough time maybe not..?)

3 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Guess what... :lol:

Hide contents

[update 454967]

"Duplicants no longer continually reduce their Absorbed Rad Dose, instead cleansing their rads in large amounts while peeing or vomiting."

But also how you describe it (low level of rad gets deleted but continuous exposure accumulates) but no extreme vomit until later.

Hide contents

[update 454967] "Adjust radiation sickness tuning. Duplicants no longer vomit at the minor sickness level."

I can confirm a dupe can get sick  loitering around 3 wheezeworts continuously but the level seems to even out around minor sickness (given enough time maybe not..?)

I'M A DESIGN GENIUS :D

Seriously though, Iove the approach, and peeing it out seems like such a creative way to go about it. Also, incoming intentionally food poisoning your dupes to cure Radiation faster.

Archived