Use AI to Upres the Game

Here's some quick examples using waifu2x, a free tool that utilizes "Deep Convolutional Neural Networks".

The first example is just doubling the resolution with a basic tool.
The next is the actual AI generated image, if you can, you should try downloading the images and quickly go back and forth between them.

The last example is just me cutting out a few rows of the items1 file to compare sprites, the non-blurry ones are the AI generated sprites(they're not in any order.)

It took my longer to make the example images and this post than generating these files.

Items1 - Cutout Examples.png

Items1 - Simple 2x.png

Items1_waifu2x_2x_2n.png

Here's a last example with the denoise setting, set to 3.

Look how much cleaner deerclops looks, keep in mind that we're upres-ing from 2k to 4k textures.

You could automate this whole process with a script for everything in the game right now.

atlas-0_waifu2x_2x_3n_CutOut.png

they have high quality vectors of every single asset in the game already they just dont release hq textures cause the game isn't 64-bit or they waiting to release it with a remaster dst hd version like they did with ninja

8 hours ago, --- -.- said:

they have high quality vectors of every single asset in the game already they just dont release hq textures cause the game isn't 64-bit or they waiting to release it with a remaster dst hd version like they did with ninja

Fascinating! I didn't know that, now i want to see how the manage to pull off a non-vector look with vectors!

Do you know if they use SVG?

There wouldn't be any need for this.
Klei has the HD/HQ copies of everything they've ever drawn in-company. If they wanted something higher res they can simply enable it from their end.
It's why most older things like the spear and football hat are suddenly HD now. 

Also these AI images seem almost... water colored which sticks out to me.

On 3/13/2021 at 11:13 PM, --- -.- said:

I don't think a game being 32 or 64 bit would have any affect on what resolution things can be.

29 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I don't think a game being 32 or 64 bit would have any affect on what resolution things can be.

Well actually it does. The higher resolution textures are in a game the more memory they will take, the more memory's used the closer it's to the 4GB cap of 32-bit. And when it reaches that cap the game crashes.

With 64-bit 4K textures could've even been an option that's possible, while with 32-bit even getting most textures less horribly low res could cause people to start experiencing out of memory crashes if their pc is a potato or they're using lots of mods or big mods.

With 64-bit all textures can have resolution this beautiful with no worries of out of memory crashes occurring because of them...

1164631739_image(20).thumb.png.86354af2ed439541b76f316b54900671.png

Instead of this sadness they are...

a.png.bcc1adb57c2bc92b0f99ec65603470be.png(Actual in game resolution)

2 minutes ago, --- -.- said:

Well actually it does. The higher resolution textures are in a game the more memory they will take, the more memory's used the closer it's to the 4GB cap of 32-bit. And when it reaches that cap the game crashes.

With 64-bit 4K textures could've been an option, while with 32-bit that is just a dream which will never happen.

With 64-bit all textures can have resolution this beautiful...

1164631739_image(20).thumb.png.86354af2ed439541b76f316b54900671.png

Instead of this sadness they are...

a.png.bcc1adb57c2bc92b0f99ec65603470be.png(Actual in game resolution)

My mistake, thanks for the correction.

Archived