Map Size and starting map Diversity

I really enjoyed oxygen not included and was happy when the new features where announced.

Now after playing with the expansion i am a bit dissapointed.

The new Map size is for me a real show stopper - it is really too small.

I know the different Worlds are virtually in one map but i hope this will be changed - actually each world could be run in its own cpu core which would free cpu time for bigger maps.

Also at the moment the Worlds are not diverse enough - after a few games you know exactly what will come after the next biome.

Will we see bigger maps in the future again and will we see more biomes (and features like something else than "minor vulcano") on the starting Biome?

I`m pretty sure it`s all to come. The base game didn`t have start variety until short before launch. Currently they are amking sure there is nothing missing on each planetoid and the world generation isn`t broken. I`m pretty sure a forest start is in the works. Next they might consider wilder starts like volcanea or rime and generally shuffle up the biomes between the 3 close cluster planetoids.

As for the map size it`s not that simple to switch a button and make other planetoids be handled by different cpu cores. They have to work with the base game engine and not everything is possible there. They might increasethe sizes of planetoids in the future but that depends on the game performance once they add all the planned content.

28 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

... I`m pretty sure a forest start is in the works.

Tree... Logs...Chainsaw...Welding...Sparks...Fire...Moocombustion...Explosion :confused:

Also cute butterflies and the radioactive bees would be great. Bears, the game also need bears! Imagine a growling bear, drinking dupe brew pbheer and then getting stung by radioactive bees.

I think some of the monotony of the swampy and terra start - hot granite biomes is signs of it being a work in progress. Having three minor volcanoes seems like a placeholder for two potentially random emitters and a single oil well or a foreshortened oil biome without wells - just a ration of oil and joyas with a potential for sporechilds perhaps ( not much, but enough to entice research or innovation ).

17 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

As for the map size it`s not that simple to switch a button and make other planetoids be handled by different cpu cores. They have to work with the base game engine and not everything is possible there.

Of course - i am a software engineer and i am well aware that it is not always simple to split a single core programm to several threads.

But in this case where one world does not directly affect the other (Ok Spaceships and Teleporters need to be handled) i dont see a reason to not let the Words be computed in seperate threads.

30 minutes ago, JonC88 said:

But in this case where one world does not directly affect the other (Ok Spaceships and Teleporters need to be handled) i dont see a reason to not let the Words be computed in seperate threads.

I think they might work on it once they have the basics of the dlc done. They did multithreading for pipes before. But i think they will focus on optimizing after they finish with the new content.

3 hours ago, BuffRhyno said:

I would agree I like to have a bigger map to start off with compare to the old one before the DLC.

It would be very nice to have a large start map ( optional ).

Also please with lots of renewable resources, so we can suck it all up !

image.png.d60962e74312ab18061992b748bdfb7a.png

Archived