Idea for making walls more useful

So, walls aren't very useful for keeping mobs (especially hostile mobs) contained. And that's okay, the Constant isn't really supposed to be contained so easily. The issue arises when things like lureplants, structures, and statues are used as walls, making regular walls ironically, the worst walls. So how can walls compete?

My idea is to make all, or some walls have a fixed additive damage reduction that needs to be passed before damage is dealt. For example:

Stone walls would could absorb 20 damage per hit before taking damage, making it ideal to contain spiders, as they wouldn't be able to overcome the absorption, but ineffective for containing larger mobs.

Alternatively, to produce a similar effect, it could be implemented using a "shield" stat that absorbs a constant amount of damage before regenerating after a given time, in addition to the health, meaning that multiple spiders attacking would be able to destroy the wall. Kinda like having a low health wall of Chesters that get permanently damaged whenever one dies.

The exact figures I'm unsure of, but I would probably put the upper limit below Deerclops DPS, because nothing should be able to contain him. Grass walls, on the other hand, would probably be unchanged.

A consequence of this would be that players would be likely unable to escape a wall prison just by punching, which is probably a bad thing.

Is this a good idea, of the silly ramblings of a fool? Lemmie know, and thanks for reading.

2 hours ago, W0l0l0 said:

So, walls aren't very useful for keeping mobs (especially hostile mobs) contained. And that's okay, the Constant isn't really supposed to be contained so easily. The issue arises when things like lureplants, structures, and statues are used as walls, making regular walls ironically, the worst walls. So how can walls compete?

My idea is to make all, or some walls have a fixed additive damage reduction that needs to be passed before damage is dealt. For example:

Stone walls would could absorb 20 damage per hit before taking damage, making it ideal to contain spiders, as they wouldn't be able to overcome the absorption, but ineffective for containing larger mobs.

Alternatively, to produce a similar effect, it could be implemented using a "shield" stat that absorbs a constant amount of damage before regenerating after a given time, in addition to the health, meaning that multiple spiders attacking would be able to destroy the wall. Kinda like having a low health wall of Chesters that get permanently damaged whenever one dies.

The exact figures I'm unsure of, but I would probably put the upper limit below Deerclops DPS, because nothing should be able to contain him. Grass walls, on the other hand, would probably be unchanged.

A consequence of this would be that players would be likely unable to escape a wall prison just by punching, which is probably a bad thing.

Is this a good idea, of the silly ramblings of a fool? Lemmie know, and thanks for reading.

A long time ago I already proposed this idea. And since nothing has changed, the developers did not consider it necessary.
Regarding the idea itself:
First. We don't have PvP, so it doesn't make sense to worry about the indestructibility of walls right now. In the end there is also a hammer.
Second. As long as the statues remain indestructible, they will be better than the walls.

On 1/7/2021 at 1:48 PM, 0rutyna0 said:

A long time ago I already proposed this idea. And since nothing has changed, the developers did not consider it necessary.
Regarding the idea itself:
First. We don't have PvP, so it doesn't make sense to worry about the indestructibility of walls right now. In the end there is also a hammer.
Second. As long as the statues remain indestructible, they will be better than the walls.

Big sad :/.

The idea is that they're cheaper and more convenient than using the statues. But you are right.

On 1/7/2021 at 1:54 PM, Well-met said:

This is interesting, but assuming the threshold is higher for better tier walls, they would just become invincible pens and you could trap anything below mini-boss tier permanently.

That's almost what I'm going for. It is intended to be able to house creatures, but still be susceptible to damage if overwhelmed. Another way I have thought of is adding damage absorption based on the damage dealt, I was thinking of using a continuous function to model it, but it would be much simpler in discrete jumps. Eg: Walls have 95% damage absorption with 20 or less damage, 80% absorption from 20 - 40, 50% from 40 - 80, and 0% absorption with 80< damage. Numbers are off the top of my head, but the main goal is to reduce the effect of small amounts of damage, while making them useful (with some repairs required) against larger attacks.

In my opinion, how much hp walls have is irrelevant. The problem is the following: Mobs do not realize they cannot pass between 2 structure or attack them. Yes it is pretty good to make use of mechanics and see how they work, but the walls biggest advantage is how cheap to build. 24 Stone wall block enough to a small cage to close some mob. But for this, the wood fence will work too.  

Main goal of walls are not to block the enemy; just slow them while we could kill them but we cannot do that. Darts cannot go through the walls every time. Catapults destroy the walls, Tooth traps very often work without damage, and bramble traps damage the walls too. However if I use Stagehands: Darts work correctly, catapults do not deal dmg to and mobs never attack them. Additionally, dogs sometimes attack the walls without any reason. If I only want control mobs, the wood fence is enough. 

I think some mob move mechanic upgrade would be good. For example, If a dog ( does not have free route to target) or (senses free route, but spends 5 sec next to a Structure without bark or bite) -> attacks the very next wall or structure to him. 

Archived