Permaculture Pepperbread?

Hi Folks...

I'm early in my playthrough, c250 or so, Terra, 16 dups. I'm now cap'n'tapping my geysers for the next little while, and I have a Francis Johns' style industrial brick, and am churning out steel, and it's all kind of boring, so I was thinking about permaculture pepper bread.

Assuming pip-planted greenhouses with farm stations, my math says 16 dups need 32 pinchas and 40 sleet wheats for a pepper bread every cycle. (I have double-checked that farm stations still fertilize wild plants, and they do.) 72 plants means 5 fertilizer synthesizers. I'm assuming that I'll have plenty of time to get dirt, pwater, and phosporite production set up.

I'm wondering if I've said anything insane so far, and I'm wondering whether, even if I haven't, I'd be better off just building an old-school hydroponic rig for all of this.

Thoughts? -- GeePaw

If you have any waterweed seed, it is worth noting that frost burgers are a much, much cheaper option, requiring a total of 1.33 plants per dupe compared to pepper bread's 6 plants per dupe.

You will need meat, but that's fairly easy to come by. Shove voles, hatches or slicksters are all able to take care of that requirement easily.

Thanks, QuQuasar.

The numbers on wild unfertilized drop-harvested frost burgers do look pretty amazing, requiring only 34 sleet wheat and 12 waterweed for my 16 dups.

That's entirely labor-free and very low power needs, too. I'm guessing an AETN could easily keep the space chilly enough.

What are people's feelings about the athletics de-buff?

On 1/2/2021 at 1:24 AM, nakomaru said:

Oni-assistant says 80 + 16 not 40 + 32.

Thank you for making me aware of this utility.

I think doing the calculation myself is part of (most of?) the fun, but it'll be nice to have something to check my work against.

...although, am I using it wrong? Whether fertilizer is ticked on or off, it doesn't change the food calculus for anything involving mealwood. Can mealwood not be micronutrient fertilized?

It's a hundred cycles later, and my 36 sleet wheats and 12 lettuces are coming on line, all wild/unfertilized/drop-harvested. First frost burgers coming out of the oven now.

I'm very excited. This was ridiculously easy to do, not just easier than an oil boiler, easier than a full Rodriguez. (One rather obvious pro-tip that I was too dim to pre-understand: use the door method for creating wild tiles in the ice biome, not the algae/slime cooking method.)

As @TheMule pointed out earlier, it is *way* cheaper than pepper bread, and the athletics debuff is nothing in a mature base. I am now realizing I could have started this readily around c100, and even if I restricted the burgers to dups who were adequately promoted, the morale bonus would have been lovely.

As someone commented in another topic not long ago, pip planting really completely changes the food mini-game.

Archived