The clothing system didn`t change since the thermal upgrade iirc. It`s pretty ancient. And there is quite a few things that could be changed about it to make it more engaging, more interesting and less annoying to use.

1. Warm sweaters and cool vests should add/remove heat passively instead of changing insulation levels. As for now they modify hte insulation of the dupe which is fine in theory but in practice the dupe only freezes or overheats if he exchanges heat with the enviroment faster than he can keep up due to his natural "homeostasis" effect. This maens that the sweater works for both cold and hot while the vest for neither - it just makes matters worse in both scenarios.
What they should do is passively add or remove heat from the dupe. It would be a simple effect but rise or lower the temperature a dupe can safely work in. It could also affect the "toasty/chilly surroundings" thersholds to reduce the stress they create.

2. More variation in the clothes. - We could get more advanced versions of the sweaters and vests providing larger bonuses (this could be used for space missions like establishing a base on the frozen asteroid) but would require extra resources on top of reed fiber like lumber. The snazzy suit should get a better version requiring gold which would extra decor and maybe a weaker sparkle streak effect.
There should be clothes for other purposes like a diver suit preventing sopping wet status (having a large decor penalty) and maybe a weaker version for soggy feet. A suit out of refined metal to provide scalding protection. Maybe something to protect from eye irritation and other similar effects.

3. Suit checkpoints. - Simple concept, suggested a lot. Just equip certain clothes after one point, and unequip when going back.

Yeah, i agree, the clothes in ONI are in every way quite outdated. There were some interesting mods that covered this deficit, like this one for example: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1810563583 but i remember there was also something that prevented soggy feet just like you described. guess you were referencing that mod.

8 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

What they should do is passively add or remove heat from the dupe.

I do agree that closes need more 'reason' behind them, but I don't particularly like 'remove heat' mechanics. I think it would be more interesting to have 'stuffy rubber suits' that prevent dupes from gaining 'soggy feet' debufs, but are inconvenient for dupes due to 'skin not breathing, but better than being soggy or zapped', 'winter' closes for colder biomes, sterile closes for cooking and medical needs that reduce chances of contacting and spreading germs and other specialized outfits like that.

Also with this DLC we probably will need more dupes in general to man the colonies. While hats is a nice way to distinguish professions, some times it is not enough, would be nice to have some kind of closes based color-coding. From my personal experience:

I ended up having 3 pilots in my base game and assigned to each one a different hat (exosuit, piloting and navigations), due to having somewhat different skillsets and uses (two dupes did not act as pilots most of the time, but I did have all three in space at once when I was exploring for research points). I suspect that this is going to be even more prominent in DLC where dupes might not have a permanent residence: some dupes on 'maintenance duty' for 'automated colonies' will need to be distinguishable from dupes with 'permanent residence'; pilots that are just automating deliveries will need to be distinguished from dupes for long range flights, scanning and initial colonizations (or whatever players will come up with)

1 hour ago, TheKilltech said:

guess you were referencing that mod.

Wasn`t really refernecing mods, but i guess modders could have some similar ideas. It makes sense for clothes to fill the niche of preventing soggy feet after all.

1 hour ago, AndreyKl said:

I don't particularly like 'remove heat' mechanics.

I meant it as a fix to it`s current behaviour that just doesn`t work as intended. As for now dupes already "remove heat" passively if too hot and create it when too cold. Clothes would just augment that, which would work as a simulation of them being warm or cool. Overall it wouldn`t add or remove a significant amount of heat from the simulation. Especially compared to some of the heat exploits.

1 hour ago, AndreyKl said:

would be nice to have some kind of closes based color-coding.

I was thinking of that as well. Would be great if different schedules had different colors but using clothes for that works as well.

4 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I meant it as a fix to it`s current behavior that just doesn`t work as intended. As for now dupes already "remove heat" passively if too hot and create it when too cold. Clothes would just augment that, which would work as a simulation of them being warm or cool. Overall it wouldn`t add or remove a significant amount of heat from the simulation. Especially compared to some of the heat exploits.

Hmm, i'm thinking if this could be bent as not being entirely unrealistic. I mean, when we are too hot we do heave a cooling mechanism: sweating. And different cloths interact with that mechanism differently. a thin west for example will allow the sweat to evaporate much easier then when wearing a sweater (hence the name btw?). Doesn't exactly work the same in the other direction with heating up since that's just burning calories but whatever.

15 hours ago, TheKilltech said:

Hmm, i'm thinking if this could be bent as not being entirely unrealistic. I mean, when we are too hot we do heave a cooling mechanism: sweating. And different cloths interact with that mechanism differently. a thin west for example will allow the sweat to evaporate much easier then when wearing a sweater (hence the name btw?). Doesn't exactly work the same in the other direction with heating up since that's just burning calories but whatever.

Only unrealistic part about that in the game is that there is no heat exchange with the enviroment when the dupes sweat. My idea effectively just makes heating up or cooling down easier which is how clothes should work in the end. Making the clothes add a passive heat effect doesn`t sound realistic but overall will make them work as intended without compliated mechanics which means less room for bugs.

Archived