Why isn't my pip planting?

I'm trying to plant some natural plants for decor.  My pips have planted 1 room (that is otherwise identical) and 6 plants in this second room.  And yet, try as I might, they will not plant in the 1 open spot just to the right of the two ladders.  They will plant at both ladder locations if the ladders are removed.

I have reloaded/restarted.  Added, removed, and replaced the seeds multiple times.  I am, completely stumped at this point.  Any ideas?

20201216183107_1.jpg

Seems you are correct yet again.  There seems to be a pattern here :) 

I didn't realize they could plant two plants at the same location.

I have another bizarre issue.  I seem to have created an infinite heat generating room.  The chamber to the bottom right is supposed to generate liquid O2.  Coolant is super coolant (in the loop).  Walls are insulation and it's surrounded by a vacuum (I know, redundant, I just wanted to play with all my insulation) and piping in the hot steam chamber is insulation as well.  I had a near identical version earlier made out of mafic rock that worked fine.

This room won't cool down.

I initially filled it with O2 and closed the output vent.  The AT then ran bringing the temps down from ~50C to -180C in about 2 cycles.  At this point it stuck and refuses to budge, sitting at -185ish C for 4 cycles straight, through multiple reloads.  I've turned it off and let the small amount of liquid O2 settle and then back on hoping it will cool the rest O2 of the gas down.  The system 'churns' but it never cools.

From what I can tell, the liquid O2 drips down, then for some weird reason turns to gas on the insulation, and when it does so gains heat somehow...  The AT has been running constantly the entire time.  I'm completely baffled at this.

20201217093030_1.jpg

5 minutes ago, Crimsontide said:

From what I can tell, the liquid O2 drips down, then for some weird reason turns to gas on the insulation, and when it does so gains heat somehow... 

Insulated tiles will conduct heat, even if made of insulation (the abyssalite compound thingie). So basically that room is still stabilizing.

Stabilization would have been even quicker if the walls had been made of some metal tile.

This is a bigger issue if the condensation room had been smaller, because then the risk of pressure damage would appear rather quick....

There's still a fixed amount of heat in the room (its in a vacuum).  The amount I've pulled out over the last 4 cycles FAR exceeds the amount needed to bring it down 5C regardless of the material used.  I was able to bring the entire room + O2 + tempshift + supercoolant in pipes + drywall tiles down 230C in 3 cycles, and somehow I can't make it budge even 0.1C in the next 4 cycles?  It's generating heat... somehow.

The one's untouched by the O2 heating/cooling are at 40C.  That is every single insulation tile except the bottom row (right, left, and top walls) is exactly 40C even though the chamber was filled with O2 when cooling.  The bottom row is around -20C to -30C.  So clearly its pulling some heat from there.

did some math here...

Okay I see where I went wrong.  Insulation has a much higher SHC than I realized.  And the insulation that is changing temp is dropping (albeit slowly) over time.  So while it doesn't exchange heat with gases at all it seems, it has no problem exchanging heat with liquids, or at least does so in small quantities much like abysallite does when phase changing.  The reason I didn't see it in the cycles prior was because there was no heat exchange, and it didn't start till we hit the liquefaction point of O2.

So it is not generating heat, rather dissipating it in a rather bizarre and unintuitive fashion.

I appreciate the help!

Further reading about the mechanic involved. Conductivity never shows up in the equation so abyssalite boils petroleum, and insulation boils liquid hydrogen, and steel gas melts abyssalite into tungsten.

Since this post they fixed the heat transfer equation so that you can't generate infinite heat, but it still works more or less like that.

Archived