DLC Feedback

Hi,

The rocket has steel walls and glass windows but don’t need those materials to build it. When we build a rocket, there is an amazing lift to get the job done easily. But there is no input to power this. This makes the rocket too easy to build and not realistic at all.

Oppositely, the fiber is way too hard to get. It required me a lot of time in space without an atmosuit. I have to drop a dupe without food and oxygen digging like crazy to get to a nice pocket of polluted air full of slime lungs. It needs to be a dupe that has way too much moral needs to work fast enough. I build a printing pod and let him die because he was destroying everything due to the stress. We care about the safety of our adorable dupes.

What are you thinking about it?

Thank you!

It needs some tweaking for sure. I don`t like how we don`t get to make paintings or clothes due to fiber being a high tier resource now. We need other high tier materials or just changing the atmo suit recipie to plastic.

Rockets are all sorts of weird now. I wonder if they change the requirements for modules. Getting steel early isn`t easy but maybe they could put some steel in the ruins like the glass we got in windows so we can get a jump start on the rockets iwhen they require steel.

It seems like we need to use the robots to prepare a place for dupes beore we drop one. Then a simple oxygen mas would suffice. But the rovers need to be more reliable. Maybe they should be solar powered so they can stay on the surface longer.

It would be nice if the cloth fabricator could be used to "deconstruct" those suits you find in the lockers to give you at least some fiber to work with - likewise I was hoping to get fiber from deconstructing carpet tiles... sadly, nada.

There's no timbleweed nor dreckos spawned on either of the two colonies, I also doubt that the printing pod will spawn either.

Currently the best chance I see to get into space or deal with the rising temperatures below is to use the little oil I got from sweeping near the teleporter to make petroleum, plus make myself some iron and go directly for the jumpsuit... no idea if that's going to work, but other than that I see myself pretty much stuck.

10 hours ago, Hedgehog77 said:

There's no timbleweed nor dreckos spawned on either of the two colonies, I also doubt that the printing pod will spawn either.

Seems like it`s intended but as long as you land on the third asteroid and discover dreckos or thimble reed you will get the print option.

The carpets in the POI should give you enough fibre to make a couple of suits. I do agree that suits are important for space, but I don't agree that they're strictly necessary. The bigger issue to my mind is the fact that ALL rockets require a dupe pilot, even simple cargo haulers. This makes cargo hauling unnecessarily fiddly & expensive, especially compared to the teleporter we get between the first two asteroids. My suggestion would be to allow the building of a "Vertical Landing Strip" which would require Power & Refined Metal, but allow for the launching & receiving of automated rockets. New planetoids would still require dupes and/or robots to build pads & basic infrastructure, but no longer would we get haulers suffocating mid flight because their O2 wasn't filled completely.

I strongly disagree that rockets need to be more expensive (aka, post-Steel with a power cost). If anything, the starter rockets we have aren't good enough meaning that it'll probably end up being worth just skipping Sucrose & CO2 entirely. The current rocket options could be twice as good and they would still feel mediocre.

I don't see this as a problem. We build a rocket and land on a slug planetoid. Next, we look for a rope and take it to our main settlement. At minimal cost, every 2 cycles we have a rope fiber. My strategy is that as soon as I scout the slime planetoid, I drop the load - first flight. Then I send the pioneer module with a duplicate, it swarms and finds reeds. And for a well-equipped rocket module, it is not at all critical.

On 12/12/2020 at 1:56 PM, Sasza22 said:

It needs some tweaking for sure. I don`t like how we don`t get to make paintings or clothes due to fiber being a high tier resource now. We need other high tier materials or just changing the atmo suit recipie to plastic.

I agree with both parts of this.  Carpet tiles and paintings shouldn't be gated just because space suits are too good, but they are too good and gating them makes sense.  The solution, as you suggest, is to probably have them require an advanced material (carbon fiber?), allowing fiber to be utilized for other early game projects.

The bigger problem at this stage is that the pioneer module will drop the duplicate without an atmosuit, even if it was on. The duplicate is vulnerable to aggressive environments and temperatures. This is really a problem that it is desirable to solve in the next updates. Or make a drone scout able to build a take-off module for a rocket.

There is no point in an atmosuit if the duplicate is not using it when landing on another planetoid. This is the problem. And fiber is a profitable business, as I wrote.

I do not see a problem. The natural progression should be to send a rover, send resources, and THEN send a duplicant with low skill/morale demands (all a duplicant needs is one skill for rocket piloting).

Deviating from this is no different than placing batteries and generators under your farms, you shouldn’t do it or else there will be bad consequences.

I skipped these steps as well and lost a duplicant, but then I learned and improved for the next visit.

I believe Klei did this to draw out progression in the game, rather than allowing people to simple rush certain technologies and skip things. This just makes skipping those steps more challenging, but not impossible, so I am for the changes they introduced.

You probably did not colonize distant asteroids where there is no oxygen on the surface, the surface consists of materials that the scout drone does not dig and the temperature is 1000 degrees. Show how to land and build something. 10 missiles to send in order to build one missile launch module. And rockets with the current development of rocket technology are only capable of reaching such an asteroid. But they won't come back. I will be happy to hear your suggestions. I think the developers conceived the game as an exciting sandbox, not a graveyard in space

Archived