DLC should be stand-alone game

35 minutes ago, oosyrag said:

It does seem strange to have a toggle to turn on and off the DLC, considering the format that base and DLC worlds/games are incompatible.

Seems like it would be less confusing to just specify which world/mode you want to create upon starting a new game, with the DLC option disabled if you don't own it. Hopefully we would be able to load either type of world without having to restart the game eventually.

And possibly a early access and mods not currently available disclaimer upon creation of a DLC world, because some people...

My guess is that they are doing it this way because they are making lots of changes to the core engine for Spaced Out (the right hand resource pane, pre-built lamps being destructable, polluted oxygen not giving you slimelung, etc.), which would change the base game while they are in the midst of tweaking/changing things for the DLC.

From an engineering perspective it is far easier to have these engines exist as separate branches (and thus this annoying requirement to re-download when adding/removing the DLC) rather than having conditional logic in place based on which mode was started.

Personally, I expect this will all be sorted out into a unified experience as you suggest once the DLC gets close to being done.

I agree.

If I would have known that the core game is being reworked, I would have not recently spent over a hundred hours on a base game save, I would have revisited the game in the middle or end of 2021.

For me it would have been nice to know about the significant map changes as they started working on it in this year, it is no wonder that Cairath mentioned that a lot of modders are upset.

Archived