New starting biome is too easy even with hard difficulty

I really hope that you can select other starting asteroids because the current asteroid is way too easy even if all settings are cranked up. The only initial problem is the lack of food but with a farmer or a cook it's way too easy to go past that problem. After that the map provides you with so easy oxygen, food and power that it gives way too much time to prepare for future challenges before running out of resources.

I understand perfectly that it lacks certain materials which make it harder MUCH MUCH LATER but the problem is the initial difficulty and midterm difficulty. Without DLC we can currently select multiple starting asteroids with varying initial and midterm problems: Too cold, too hot, slimelung nightmare or almost no metals. Is Klei going to take all that away and force us to keep 1 huge base?

Bog buckets take 6.6 cycles to harvest and require 70kg/cycle of polluted water

Mealwood take 3 cycles to harvest and require 10kg/cycle of dirt 

with this information it is easier for me to start max difficulty on Badlands or Oasisse 

than it is to start in Swamp

I would also say that Swamp is harder than any of the base game starts.  Oxygen is a fairly easy problem to solve in the base game, even on hard difficulty settings, whereas food on Swamp is challenging, even if you carefully pick your starting dupes.

2 hours ago, misotoma said:

Bog buckets take 6.6 cycles to harvest and require 70kg/cycle of polluted water

Mealwood take 3 cycles to harvest and require 10kg/cycle of dirt 

with this information it is easier for me to start max difficulty on Badlands or Oasisse 

than it is to start in Swamp

Like I wrote it's only the initial difficulty spike with food. With farmer you can multiply those seeds really fast and usually there are so many swamp chards around that they can sustain your dupes long enough until you have enough seeds. Midterm difficulty doesn't exist in swamp biome. Of course late game difficulty is still there but it probably takes hundreds of cycles before you run out of resources.

2 hours ago, jlarner said:

I would also say that Swamp is harder than any of the base game starts.  Oxygen is a fairly easy problem to solve in the base game, even on hard difficulty settings, whereas food on Swamp is challenging, even if you carefully pick your starting dupes.

Swamp is like one-trick pony. It only has a single initial problem: food. Oasisse/Aridio are much harder overall. Swamp biome difficulty is probably comparable with Rime/Verdante.

i have had no problems with food. some is going to waste, even. :)

I must admit, it has been easier than I anticipated. Just avoiding the persistent yucky lungs, was a major point for me. It's only marginally as difficult to manage so far. But, I have learned to undercut alot of the game grief, with the Iron Gut troop squad. That in, and of itself has made the game an order of magnitude easier. Which I do not mind, it allows me to concentrate on doing the actual building, and engineering. As opposed to watching tiny pixels cry, and sulk, and wander around aimlessly. Eliminating that single vector has changed the game for entirely, tbh. A lot less headache, and alot more game, imho. I will never look back after choosing the iron gut starting line-up.

6 hours ago, Masarius said:

Swamp is like one-trick pony. It only has a single initial problem: food. Oasisse/Aridio are much harder overall. Swamp biome difficulty is probably comparable with Rime/Verdante.

Thank you for replying. I personally haven't played in max difficulty yet since I wanted to "play the new game". Which I should've just done in sandbox

But it's good to see your perspective. Soon enough I'll play max difficulty and see how it goes. I've seen others mention it's hard but didn't use mush bars.. which is.. forgivable since I never use it either.. but if I have to then that means swamp is just that much more difficult. What I want to try and do is rush a rancher since these new critters are really comfortable for producing food/eggshells

3 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Just upgrade your bathrooms by cycle 4 and never empty your initial ones. The germs never enter your world. Problem solved in a different way.

some of the other good ways it has manifested, is food can be eaten all the way down to 1-2%, I was able to disable disinfection colony wide, to concentrate on other stuff. they can share food with no worries. Food with pollution exposure is also not an issue.

I think it is suppose to be easy.  They need us testing out the new stuff, not struggling to stay alive.  The easy access of food, water, power, and mountains of glass with no meteors is all on purpose.

The new rockets are a hot mess right now, they need as many people as possible sending in the crash reports and bugs related to using the new rockets.  That can only happen if they fudge the difficulty of the early game for a while right now.

10 hours ago, Tanmorik said:

The description of the swamp cluster said its ideal. So i assume that klei just gave us the easiest option for the alpha. I guess it is very well balanced with this perspective in mind. 

I really hope so. I have no complaints if Klei gives us more options for starting biome.

Archived