Suggestion PVC.

Being kinda tired of how useless chlorine seems to be in this game, I decided to google uses for chlorine. To my surprise PVC came up as almost the top thing.Here are some interesting things.

-uses chlorine

-uses ethylene

-is a great thermal insulator.

-melts at lower temperatures than ceramics.

So I was thinking it may be an idea to change the polymer press to one intake for ethanol and one for chlorine(gas or liquid as i am unsure the actual process), and have the co2 off gas like like in the petroleum boiler. petroleum already has a few uses, whereas chlorine is still lacking imho.

Late game uses like ladders and tiles, for speed boost made from PVC, and also piping for low temperature uses to avoid melting pipes. The piping is where it could be most useful, and I would think for lower under 200C would be a good alternative to ceramic with I think better thermal resistance.

This is just a post to see if anybody else feels the same about chlorine as i do, and if this is actually a workable idea.

Thanks for reading.

@goetzjam

The games progression, for this type, is pretty standard. Except when it comes to chlorine, sure it is used for disinfection, but the material is not actually used. So you start getting chlorine early game with no use until end game it seems counter intuitive to me. Polyvinyl chloride, or PVC, would be alternative mid game uses for both ethanol and chlorine, and as I said in my original post petroleum already has multiple uses.

I think it would both balance the material, and offer new ideas for base building. And with the DLC and the new mechanics of multiple bases it would offer more to the asteroid colony diversity.

4 hours ago, Demalis said:

@goetzjam

The games progression, for this type, is pretty standard. Except when it comes to chlorine, sure it is used for disinfection, but the material is not actually used. So you start getting chlorine early game with no use until end game it seems counter intuitive to me. Polyvinyl chloride, or PVC, would be alternative mid game uses for both ethanol and chlorine, and as I said in my original post petroleum already has multiple uses.

I think it would both balance the material, and offer new ideas for base building. And with the DLC and the new mechanics of multiple bases it would offer more to the asteroid colony diversity.

Sounds good.  I was opposed to more uses for it, but it does ahve a number of uses, just mostly ones that dont consume it constantly.

21 hours ago, Demalis said:

Being kinda tired of how useless chlorine seems to be in this game, I decided to google uses for chlorine. To my surprise PVC came up

As much as I like PVC idea, it feels very lategame-ish, leaving chlorine with little usecases in early game as before, and doesn't really solve the issue.

By design, chlorine should be used early game in germ fighting and medicine production. Currently it is useless along with all medinice branch, because germs are not dangerous enough to make players care. If diseases could kill or at least make dupe un-usable for few cycles, players would care more and chlorine would not only be used, but desired. I believe this is the way of dealing with the useless early/mid game chlorine - adding germ severity in the options, allowing them to be more dangerous or even lethal in highest difficulty if players opted to play such game mode.

And the PVC - yeah, sure, why not? :)

8 hours ago, Demalis said:

Polyvinyl chloride, or PVC, would be alternative mid game uses for both ethanol and chlorine, and as I said in my original post petroleum already has multiple uses.

I like the idea of using ethanol for an alternative plastic type. Would probably make more sense for it to be PVA (poly vinyl alcohol) but lets not get too technical. I`d imagine you could use the polymer press to make this one from ethanol just like you use it for petrol.

As for chlorine usage it could be used for plastic modification for better properties but i prefer if there was an semi earlygmae building that kills germs in air around iteslf and needs to be manually supplied with bottles chlorine. Maybe also a variant for water iether put inside water pools or piped through so that we don`t have to rely on the weird water reservoir mechanics.

@pether

Yeah I forgot about the ore scrubber, I never use it.you're right though that germs are easy to work around on the odd occasion I make hand sanitizer when I don't want to plumb. I use mostly heat and cold to deal with germs, because it doesn't take up dupes time.

You are right about it seeming late game, but through balancing it could be easier to get certain things earlier.

@Sasza22 when I was looking into the information online I was happy to see it made with ethylene, I thought great another use for ethanol.

On 12/5/2020 at 10:57 AM, Demalis said:

@goetzjam

It might be a bug but I haven't seen chlorine cleaning polluted oxygen any more as a use in the alpha. It would be fun to have new uses for it though.

Archived