Some stuffs in beta seems to need adjustments

The first one is tillweed salve. Compare to other general healing items such as healing salve, honey poultice and jellybeans, tillweed salve does spoil within 10 days and even cannot be put in the fridge, make it hard to preserve.

Moreover, tillweed salve requires as many as 8 tillweeds to make one. In current gameplay it's quite a hassle to collect 8 tillweeds without using bundling wrap since tillweeds spoil in 6 days and ususally people don't prefer to grow weeds which have a negative effect on other crops. Oh, and the petals, they're also relatively expensive to duplicate and hard to mass-produce.

And all you got after those bothersome tasks is just 28 hp healing item (while soothing tea require only 1 forget-me-lots to restore 45 sanity) that spoils after 10 days. If you're Wormwood tillweed salve might be another considerable option to heal yourself but still 8 tillweeds and 4 petals are too much for mere 28 health points.

The second one is Lord of the fruit flies. Friendly fruit fly fruit is very useful for helping gardening tasks, but after killing the boss for the first time there's no single advantage to fight with this boss. If your friendly fruit fly is still alive, everything you can get from killing this boss is just 1 leafy meat. At least a grass gecko give better loots (cut grass, actually) than this boss. 1 leafy meat is almost nothing as a loot of a boss that has 3000 health , attack rapidly and summoning annoying minions (spread everywhere else, outside of the player's sight easily) constantly.

Also, disease mechanic was removed, but since there's no way to actively avoid spawning this boss except stop farming crops, situations could be worse than when disease was in the game. If you farm a bit intensively more than certain degree (more than 10 crops within 2 tiles) the boss will spawn every 20 days, giving just 1 leafy meat on death and leave those annoying little minions around the farm. The reason why disease was removed is that disease was not so rewarding and fun mechanism, and this one feels the same, sometimes feels even more troublesome than disease. Almost every other 20-days-to-respawn bosses are much more passive than this boss, they won't harm you or interrupt your survival this much.

Other bothersome seasonal bosses are still somehow more manageable. Deerclops comes just once a year, Bearger won't spawn if there's already one somewhere, antlion's combat and earthquake could be avoided. Of course their loots are useful, too. But this whole Reap what you sow update made crop farming easier to access which means players farms often will see this boss more frequently than any other bosses.

So here's the conclusion of my opinion :

Tillweed salve is too expensive considering its poor healing effect and bad preservability. And basically it's hardly motivative to keep weed in your farm.

When friendly fruit fly is still alive the lord of the fruit flies just drop 1 leafy meat which is almost nothing for a boss drop.

Also the lord of the fruit flies' spawn precondition is too low in comparison with the increased accessibility to farm after this update.

Oh, and one more thing. Is durian kinda Wes position among the crops right now? Only grows well in spring and consume the same amount of manure as dragonfruit and pepper... Seems like a joke (like "Wes' favorite food is crepe" one, really) rather than viable trait to me. Heheh...

48 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:

8 tillweeds and 4 petals are too much for mere 28 health points.

100% agree. The tillweeds at least can be mass produced... eventually. Though I'm not sure how useful the salve would be by that point in the game. But petals cannot, which arguably makes them the more expensive of the two ingredients.

On the subject of weeds, I am also somewhat uncertain about the usefulness of Fire Nettles. Their ability to overheat you via their toxin seems extremely niche, not to mention Wormwood can't even use that (he can eat the nettles to drain his sanity, but he already has better ways to do that). I understand weeds are meant to be mostly undesirable, but it seems a shame to have such an actively harmful food. Hope it gets some use down the line.

51 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:

The second one is Lord of the fruit flies.

This one I disagree. I thought he spawned way too often too, but I discovered today, that there can only be 1 Lord of the Fruit Flies per shard (aka 1 on the surface, 1 in the caves). And also that the Lord is very very territorial, meaning he won't go more than a few turfs (5-8, not sure) from his spawn point; if he goes further than that, he'll immediately drop aggro and return to his spawn point.

What this means is that once you have the Friendly Fruit Fly, next time you spawn the Lord of the Fruit Flies, you can intentionally spawn him at a somewhat remote location and leave him there. He has a shorter aggro range than his deaggro/leash range, so you can use him and his fruit flies to create and maintain your very own weed farm (fruit flies plant weeds in empty tilled soil), while ensuring that he will never again attack your normal crops.

21 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

This one I disagree. I thought he spawned way too often too, but I discovered today, that there can only be 1 Lord of the Fruit Flies per shard (aka 1 on the surface, 1 in the caves). And also that the Lord is very very territorial, meaning he won't go more than a few turfs (5-8, not sure) from his spawn point; if he goes further than that, he'll immediately drop aggro and return to his spawn point.

What this means is that once you have the Friendly Fruit Fly, next time you spawn the Lord of the Fruit Flies, you can intentionally spawn him at a somewhat remote location and leave him there. He has a shorter aggro range than his deaggro/leash range, so you can use him and his fruit flies to create and maintain your very own weed farm (fruit flies plant weeds in empty tilled soil), while ensuring that he will never again attack your normal crops.

Didn't know that! So basically Lord of the fruit fly is bearger-type boss.

But don't you agree that 1 leafy meat for a boss drop isn't enough?

1 minute ago, HeatAndRun said:

Didn't know that! So basically Lord of the fruit fly is bearger-type boss.

But don't you agree that 1 leafy meat for a boss drop isn't enough?

His main drop is the Fruit Fly Fruit and you want to stop killing him after he spawns for the second time.

Also, he has less health and damage than most Treeguards, so he's a mini-boss at best.

5 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

His main drop is the Fruit Fly Fruit and you want to stop killing him after he spawns for the second time.

Also, he has less health and damage than most Treeguards, so he's a mini-boss at best.

Well if so, that's interesting concept for a boss in DST.. Spawn in the remote place and never touch again. :sure:

Reminds me of this video.

Spoiler

How can be the lord of flies worst than a mechanic that destroys non renewable like berry bushes. But is true that his secondary loot is bad

Till weed poultice should be made with 4 or 6 or increase the healing. Isnt worth the trouble

14 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

To have one in the caves you need to spawn lord of the flies in the cave or can the friendly fruitfly travel throw shards?

Archived