I've done a bit of digging. Considering rushing for a Empty Bottle early in the game is a bit hard (need loads of board for a boat and time to venture into the sea), I think plants that *produces* Growth Formula nutrient is most preferable in early-mid game. This illustrated table lists plants in ascending order based on their Growth Formula production, and when that is equal, the need for Compost then Manure. Note that to get huge harvests, you also need to keep your farm clean of junk and weed, and keep at least 3 of the same type in a tile (according to the wiki, anyway). I might dig into the .lua to check later.

latest-screenshot.thumb.png.7fd6293eff9cf78ba55479148914f34d.png

Now, you can see Garlic is available all year around, and provides growth formula quite well. In any way, avoid Carrot since it isn't really worth it (well, unless you are doing random seeds).

Now the same data ordered according to Seasonal Availability, sorted from Autumn through Winter until Summer.

latest-screenshot.thumb.png.f10a7c12654244205088f64728a1e544.png

Yellow just means it provides a +2 nutrient; not too large but better than absorbing it :D

I've tested with Toma Root during Autumn; you pretty much need to water it at each of its growth stage to get the Huge harvest. When in doubt, Asses the plant.

Archived