[Suggestion] Sanity check: Dupes should not start tasks that they can not reach in their current shift

I cant count the times that i have seen dupes take up a task at the end of their shift, that sends them halfway across the asteroid only to realize shortly before arriving on location that they have a lunch break.

Please try to tweak this a bit. There surely must be better tasks to do before the workshift ends.

I doubt it will be ever done. Fixing this would require an accurate estimation of the time required to fulfill the task. Which is non trivial and in some cases even impossible. Also adding such check would increase task planning time, causing even more dupe lag in large colonies.

They even take task in the area that they don't have permission to, like "generate power" in a room that they are not permited. These things will become noticeable once the colony size big enough, some dupes are standstill and when click on them you can see the task they are about to take.

14 hours ago, MinhPham said:

They even take task in the area that they don't have permission to, like "generate power" in a room that they are not permited. These things will become noticeable once the colony size big enough, some dupes are standstill and when click on them you can see the task they are about to take.

Hm, i never noticed that. How do you manage your permissions?

Locking doors? Door permissions? Duplicant check points? Automated doors?

2 hours ago, blash365 said:

Hm, i never noticed that. How do you manage your permissions?

Locking doors? Door permissions? Duplicant check points? Automated doors?

Using door permission ... i locked ~60 dupes inside a big gym to train for rocket pilot, some operating dupe outside trying to "generate power" in the area which they don't have access. Took a while for them to realize they can't do that errand ..

sss.thumb.png.f50f43fc97e0453d2fec6cc0a3f701ab.png

57 minutes ago, MinhPham said:

Using door permission ... i locked ~60 dupes inside a big gym to train for rocket pilot, some operating dupe outside trying to "generate power" in the area which they don't have access. Took a while for them to realize they can't do that errand ..

sss.thumb.png.f50f43fc97e0453d2fec6cc0a3f701ab.png

But that image is from vanilla.

While the bug might as well be present in the DLC, the small map might not make it as noticable at the moment.

Or do you have a DLC example as well?

On 11/28/2020 at 2:58 AM, Cybeon said:

I doubt it will be ever done. Fixing this would require an accurate estimation of the time required to fulfill the task. Which is non trivial and in some cases even impossible. Also adding such check would increase task planning time, causing even more dupe lag in large colonies.

No need to make it this complex. The game would improve a lot if the dupes continue to finish the current task after the lunch break. I literaly saw once a dupe drop 500 kg of steel meant for a bunker door 1 meter before delivering and  then a metor shower made the steel fly across the map.

If a dupe finish the current task before going to eat the game would improve drasticaly.

Archived