Feeling stuck without access to reed fiber

I've got a colony running on the first two asteroids, and want to start building in space on the first asteroid and also work on harnessing the oil biome in the second asteroid, but I'm not sure how to approach either without atmo suits. I tried the new oxygen mask station to start working on the space biome and getting a rocket up, but the 'one-time use' nature of the oxygen masks (along with other issues with it) has me avoiding them and looking for any alternatives. I'm also guessing that oxygen masks won't be viable for the oil biome due to constant scaldings.

How have other people been progressing without atmo suits? Are oxygen masks the only way to go for getting a rocket up to explore more planets in the search for reed fiber?

I'm at a similar impasse, as in I've gotten about as far as I can without reed fiber.  They're located on an asteroid that is in range of my rockets, I just haven't gotten a foothold on it yet.  

In my next session I plan on landing a single dupe on the reed fiber asteroid and having them build up a landing platform.  Then I'll fly out another rocket, land it, load in as many reed seeds as possible and fly it back home.  The "difficulty" of that step definitely feels higher than in the pre-DLC game, but it's new and I'm enjoying it, so no complaints!

37 minutes ago, hapatchi said:

I'm at a similar impasse, as in I've gotten about as far as I can without reed fiber.  They're located on an asteroid that is in range of my rockets, I just haven't gotten a foothold on it yet.  

In my next session I plan on landing a single dupe on the reed fiber asteroid and having them build up a landing platform.  Then I'll fly out another rocket, land it, load in as many reed seeds as possible and fly it back home.  The "difficulty" of that step definitely feels higher than in the pre-DLC game, but it's new and I'm enjoying it, so no complaints!

Are you using the oxygen masks to construct the rockets, or do you have a sort of rocket silo with oxygen inside?

You don't need oxygen masks to make rockets. They can hold their breath just fine in the vacuum of space, it worked for me both when making rockets and when building solar panels.

Also at the moment it seems masks don't get picked up by dupes after they get dropped, so they are kind of a waste of resources, especially oxygen.

I believe this was the point of taking reed fiber away from us early on. This a) forces the testing of the new buildings to check their balance and b) increases the difficulty...kinda like picking charmander in pokemon red, it's the hard way to do it.

Now that being said here are the steps i took (i discourage the dupe count I have it is about to crumble in on itself)

1. Print a bunch of dupes (a reasonable number like 6...not the 21 i have)

2. Start making a base on the oil asteroid (mine out the area above the oil, get a power system in place, food, facilities)

3. Once everything is stable enough (not needing micromanagement, whatever point you decide that is) shoot a dupe at the slimy asteroid, from here dig down into an oxygen pocket and start setting up. I sent my digger, then a builder...and so on until I hit 5, started using the rock crusher (quicker than setting up a refinery just for atmosuits), started pumping the excess pee and the polluted water from algae distiller to get reed fiber, once I had 5 atmosuits, launched the rocket back to the first planet to ship them to the oil while building the docks, pump, pipes and such.

As for the gas masks, I see a lot of complaints about it but truthfully they make sense. It's an early game form of the atmosuits, having them be disposable feels reasonable, as for the wasted oxygen, if they do, again early stuff is generally wasteful in games, but i assumed they leaked into the surrounding atmosphere

The masks don't waste oxygen - they release it into the surrounding area. It's a problem, actually, since you get a pile of masks in front of the checkpoint, and they can rapidly over-pressure the area if you have enough of them.

They'd be more usable if dupes returned the masks to the checkpoints, I think.

11 hours ago, camelot said:

This is the answer. Send a rancher to the second asteroid and have 2 reed fibers right away for 1 Atmo Suit

Exactly. I quickly set up a basic ranch, and within a cycle I had 2 reed fiber. After another 2 cycles I had a drecko egg. Shipped it all back to my main colony along with some meal lice for feeding.

I wonder if you're guaranteed to find a drecko or if I was just lucky.

32 minutes ago, Milliways said:

Exactly. I quickly set up a basic ranch, and within a cycle I had 2 reed fiber. After another 2 cycles I had a drecko egg. Shipped it all back to my main colony along with some meal lice for feeding.

I wonder if you're guaranteed to find a drecko or if I was just lucky.

One map I looked at had no dreco, my second had a dreco.

I ended up building the rocket/telescope with the dupes just holding their breath as other people suggested. I was able to discover a 3rd asteroid, sent a dupe over, had them quickly dig down into an O2 pocket and get life support running, and found some reed fiber pretty quick. Next I'll be working on getting a rocket platform built on the new asteroid to be able to send it back.

It's feeling pretty frantic now that I have basically 3 colonies running (along with the additional rocket management), but I'm really digging it. 

50 minutes ago, traybourne said:

I ended up building the rocket/telescope with the dupes just holding their breath as other people suggested. I was able to discover a 3rd asteroid, sent a dupe over, had them quickly dig down into an O2 pocket and get life support running, and found some reed fiber pretty quick. Next I'll be working on getting a rocket platform built on the new asteroid to be able to send it back.

It's feeling pretty frantic now that I have basically 3 colonies running (along with the additional rocket management), but I'm really digging it. 

One thing with the telescope is you can build a single tile above the seat. The operator still has to hold their breath but at least avoids sunburn.

Archived