Very different experience so far

I've played on a few different seeds of the Swamp cluster and it feels very different.

On most maps the early game feels fairly similar when it comes to dealing with oxygen production and getting food.  But being surrounded by a completely new environment certainly forced me to read a lot of database entries to understand what I needed to do just to get the basics.

So kudos so far and I'm looking forward to seeing more once I get comfortable enough to expand to the other asteroids.

I'm only on cycle 15, I have to say it feels completely different for me. I have two geysers extremely close (cool slush and cool salty slush) which would be great in a normal game, and I'm sure will be great if I can make it far enough to use them. I'm also surrounded by ice biomes almost entirely, and my dupes are getting hypothermia very frequently. 

Having tons of polluted oxygen instead of clean oxygen is a weird experience for me, it makes me kind of uncomfortable to look at because I'm so used to eliminating it (and the colors don't look as nice as clean oxygen). The deoderizer requiring power now was a bit of a shock. I guess it makes sense from a balancing perspective, but I'm going to miss being able to spam them where I need them and forgetting about them. 

As far as oxygen goes, I haven't produced any yet, and I don't think I'll need to for a little while. There's so much polluted oxygen just offgassing from the polluted dirt tiles and the copious amounts of polluted water. 

It was also a weird experience to run out of dirt, as opposed to having tons of it almost immediately. I recently set up the building that converts mud into dirt and water, which is a cool idea. I'm not looking forward to having to put in a liquid filter for when I want to break down both polluted mud and clean mud, it would be convenient if it had different output pipes for the two liquids, but that might make it too easy.

Definitely.  Playing the base game for so long teaches you how to do things a certain way..  And all of a sudden a good portion of what you know is no longer applicable.

The swamp starting area feels so strange with all that mud and polluted oxygen.  I struggled a bit to adapt to this, but I am really looking forward to seeing more of the DLC.

8 hours ago, vinnv226 said:

I'm also surrounded by ice biomes almost entirely, and my dupes are getting hypothermia very frequently. 

That isn't just coming from the ice biomes. Just walking through water seems to leech the warmth out of dupes almost immediately now

As far as oxygen goes, I haven't produced any yet, and I don't think I'll need to for a little while. There's so much polluted oxygen just offgassing from the polluted dirt tiles and the copious amounts of polluted water. 

I did have problems with oxygen pressure. But there is a building that increases the off gassing rate of polluted dirt and can support a good number od dupes

That's what I was using instead of going down the usual route for oxygen production.  The Sublimation Station will generate 660g/s of polluted oxygen and even with the penalty your dudes get it's fairly easy to survive on that.  More so if you place a few Deodorizers the second you get your hands on them.

Archived