Reasons for 64Bit

I know Klei might have heared this a lot already, but here is my take on this as a Software Developer:

Sooner or later this game will need to switch to 64Bit for a few reasons - 

1. Support for 32 bit is going to drop sooner than later. Apple already did and Windows is also starting now. 

2. This game could be soooo much more without this bottleneck of 32 bit. We could play on much larger Maps so content is not so extremely stuffed together, it also gives space for a lot more content.

3. You already gave 64bit support for apple after beeing forced to...

There were a few arguments against it that i want to swat:

I have read in a different thread, that one cant change the min specs of a game after release. This is false, as some other popular games showed(Rimworld, Stellaris). Both these games have only gotten positive feedback for switching and dropping 32 bit support entirely. You could still keep a legacy version of DST, this will motivate people to upgrade instead of complain. 

Another aspect would be the "risk". IMHO there is no risk involved, it can only get a lot better with 64 bit, the only thing that increases is the workload needed to update to 64 bit. 

Also: "64 bit wont increase performance", yes but it also wont decrease performance. I can play on a map 5x the size of regular Huge maps in DST without any kind of performance loss compared to smaller maps, yet the only issue im facing is OOM crashes.

I dont demand you guys from Klei updating your game, but it is a step that would benefit everyone. DST is a massively popular game with so extremely high potential that is somewhat wasted by a outdated architecture and its sad. I would really love to develope content for this game, but the game already hits its limit with just the mod tropical experience added. 

This is just a cry for attention from a fan of this game to finally overcome this 32 bit wall, believe me it will only get better after this step has been done. I have worked on 32 bit software before and constantly having to watch out for memory spikes and limiting functionallity is frustrating to say the least.

Sorry for the amateur english

28 minutes ago, deathawaits said:

I would really love to develope content for this game, but the game already hits its limit with just the mod tropical experience added. 

Slightly off-topic but you very well can develop your own content and mods for the game despite it being 32-bit. Tropical Experience is a mod that several assets, maybe even hundreds of assets as it has all of the assets from the two singleplayer DLC's, and other mods assets.

I really highly doubt you're gonna reach the limit like Tropical Experience has.

Other than that, it would be pretty awesome for DST to be 64 bit.

11 hours ago, --- -.- said:

I can't even play DST properly anymore because of the 32-bit crashes the game "Out of memory" when going through caves with no mods at all even though my PC can handle much more powerful games with 60fps and no lag...

How much... ram do you have?... That is very abnormal and shouldn't be happening. I don't think DST's 32 bit system is at fault here.

12 hours ago, --- -.- said:

I can't even play DST properly anymore because of the 32-bit crashes the game "Out of memory" when going through caves with no mods at all even though my PC can handle much more powerful games with 60fps and no lag...

are you maxing your mobs and terrain features when you play? i've found that things like beefalo and bees really causes my computer to chug when they are in their spring phase if i have them set to lots. it might help if you lowered some of your configs to 'default' to see if that helps

7 hours ago, Hornete said:

How much... ram do you have?... That is very abnormal and shouldn't be happening. I don't think DST's 32 bit system is at fault here.

I have 8GB of ram and to be fair it only happens when I'm playing with a friend while hosting the server.. if they go in caves everything is fine they load into it like 20 seconds but when I go inside it takes not only 1-2 minutes of loading screen it then at the ends says "out of memory" and crashes but if I rejoin the world I will be in the caves but it's still very inconvenient and annoying as hell. If I use a big mod like a shipwrecked mod it just instantly goes out of memory in like 10 seconds when going into a cave lol

this also only started happening after the latest update of lunar caves

klei keeps adding more great things like ocean and lunar caves but the game is still weak 32-bit game and these new things keep pushing the game further and further, if there was 64-bit then i wouldnt be getting out of memory crashes its also why tmodloader kinda sucks atm cause it's at 32-bit too waiting on 64-bit for that too :(

one of my worst experiences was when i played dst with 3 friends they all went through to the caves with no problem then i went through a cave and got out of memory crash and my character was deleted as i was back at the character select screen and not even rollback fixed it... after that i just quit dst until 64-bit comes

6 hours ago, gaymime said:

are you maxing your mobs and terrain features when you play?

yeah i play on a huge world and huge cave world before the latest dst update those always worked fine i could even use mods like superhuge world that is 2x bigger than huge world with no problems now im lucky if the cave doesnt crash while i play with friends on a small caves world :-(

20 minutes ago, --- -.- said:

I have 8GB of ram and to be fair it only happens when I'm playing with a friend while hosting the server.. if they go in caves everything is fine they load into it like 20 seconds but when I go inside it takes not only 1-2 minutes of loading screen it then at the ends says "out of memory" and crashes but if I rejoin the world I will be in the caves but it's still very inconvenient and annoying as hell. If I use a big mod like a shipwrecked mod it just instantly goes out of memory in like 10 seconds when going into a cave lol

klei keeps adding more great things like ocean and lunar caves but the game is still weak 32-bit game and these new things keep pushing the game further and further, if there was 64-bit then i wouldnt be getting out of memory crashes its also why tmodloader kinda sucks atm cause it's at 32-bit too waiting on 64-bit for that too :(

one of my worst experiences was when i played dst with 3 friends they all went through to the caves with no problem then i went through a cave and got out of memory crash and my character was deleted as i was back at the character select screen and not even rollback fixed it... after that i just quit dst until 64-bit comes

yeah i play on a huge world and huge cave world before the latest dst update those always worked fine i could even use mods like superhuge world that is 2x bigger than huge world with no problems now im lucky if the cave doesnt crash while i play with friends on a small caves world :-(

yeah, i have to play on small worlds if i want to invite anyone in and i don't go above a medium sized world even solo. the update added two full biomes to caves and so you are looknig at a couple dozen mob beasts, a handful of nest spawns, several dozen trees, anywhere from a half to a dozen perpetually moving setpieces, a good dozen stone, a few hundred wall pieces and who even knows how many random floor items. you are probably going to have to scale back some things to keep your worlds large or else you'll have to commit to small worlds like i do. i have almost a terabyte of space on my computer but that doesnt mean much when the game hard caps at 4 gigs while playing

i did find that reducing light bulbs and spiders helped since lightbulbs have their short grow cycle and spider creep takes up a lot of tiles

1 hour ago, gaymime said:

i have almost a terabyte of space on my computer but that doesnt mean much when the game hard caps at 4 gigs while playing

yeah, all i can hope for is 64-bit now cause i get kinda sad when i have to put things on less or make the world super small just to be able to play with friends ruins the whole survival exploration feeling for us and even with default or huge world the world feels really empty already putting stuff on less makes it like travelling the flatlands in minecraft almost but without villages :(

4 minutes ago, --- -.- said:

yeah, all i can hope for is 64-bit now cause i get kinda sad when i have to put things on less or make the world super small just to be able to play with friends ruins the whole survival exploration feeling for us and even with default or huge world the world feels really empty already putting stuff on less makes it like travelling the flatlands in minecraft almost but without villages :(

i'm not sure if that is helpful or just a lateral restriction. only being able to play with friends who can do 64bit games isnt a great prospect and since a month ago i would have been one of the ones that were left in the dust i can really empathize with not doing it

20 hours ago, --- -.- said:

i have 8 aswell and a lot of crap open and it doesnt happend to me

maybe there is a problem with the installation or another component isnt strong enough

9 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

maybe there is a problem with the installation or another component isnt strong enough

well i'm not very computer tech savvy so idk if my pc is the best, but all I know is it can run games like ARK: Survival Evolved, Skyrim, Monster Hunter World, Rust, Dark Souls, ect. just fine at medium-high graphics with stable 60fps the only problems I ever had with games is recently DST with the new update gets out of memory crashes when travelling between caves when 1+ player is on my server and tmodloader with big mods like calamity and both similarities between DST and tmodloader is they are both 32-bit games which leads me to believe 32-bit just ain't good too unstable just 1 second your program goes higher than 4GB and bam everything falls apart :(...

1 minute ago, --- -.- said:

well i'm not very computer tech savvy so idk if my pc is the best, but all I know is it can run games like ARK: Survival Evolved, Skyrim, Monster Hunter World, Rust, Dark Souls, ect. just fine at medium-high graphics with stable 60fps the only problems I ever had with games is recently DST with the new update gets out of memory crashes when travelling between caves when 1+ player is on my server and tmodloader with big mods like calamity and both similarities between DST and tmodloader is they are both 32-bit games which leads me to believe 32-bit just ain't good too unstable just 1 second your program goes higher than 4GB and bam everything falls apart :(...

The game should run fine

I have played with 3gb ram and a core2duo

That sound like a particular problem (maybe mods) with the game

That doesnt mean that it will not be better with modern engine. Just trying help you

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

The game should run fine

I have played with 3gb ram and a core2duo

That sound like a particular problem (maybe mods) with the game

That doesnt mean that it will not be better with modern engine. Just trying help you

ya, thanks! All I know is the problem caused from the latest DST update since before it was fine and in my thousands of hours of playtime i never experienced an out of memory crash till the latest update so there's probably no way to fix it unless i could revert to the previous version (which i dont want to do) or there was a 64bit then out of memory crashes dont occur since there is no limits.. since its something to do with the core game and my pc probably. it wouldnt be the first time a new update caused weird problems with my pc like when the new ocean was added dst's animations will frequently become very choppy looking  every several seconds or so for several seconds.. i guess im just cursed:wilson_ecstatic:

Archived