Morb Farm - slime production

I couldn't find anything very recent on the forums, so posting on this...

I am running out of slime for a mushroom farm, so I was thinking I would try to create a morb / puft farm... 

Questions:

1. Outhouse toilet, to create morbs, do you basically need to leave it unserviced (out of order?) in order for morbs to start appearing?

2. Is it better to have morbs on top or under pufts or does it not matter?

3. Do you need to have pufts proliferate in a 96 large area or leave it open?

This is what I started so far:

image.thumb.png.832929cf88c12174564f751f40896446.png

Thanks!

51 minutes ago, PhoenixGaming69 said:

1. Outhouse toilet, to create morbs, do you basically need to leave it unserviced (out of order?) in order for morbs to start appearing?

Yes. Here is a reference to some more info. But be warned, this does not really work, the efficiency is abysmally bad.

8 hours ago, PhoenixGaming69 said:

i read that already... What I'm not clear on, is does the outhouse need to be set to a very low priority so it never gets serviced or do you block dupes from getting to it?

You block dupes from getting to it after it is full. 

As stated, the returns are abysmal, but you can make it work.  Just realize you'll need a ton of pufts and morbs to keep it running.

On 10/24/2020 at 9:22 PM, PhoenixGaming69 said:

Yes.  Once out of order, after a few cycles, a morb will appear.  Ideally, you want to get your outhouses out of order and then lock them away from dupes.  Even if you set them to priority 1, some dupe will come by and clean it, so lock it away to keep it safe.

2. Is it better to have morbs on top or under pufts or does it not matter?

I don't believe this really matters which is where.  What I recommend is pulling the polluted O2 away from the morbs as they over pressure at a certain point and stop producing.  You can either do this with a standard pump or use some automated doors that act like a pump and just connect either to an atmosensor so it stops when the pressure is too low.  This might seem like a small issue, but morbs don't produce much to begin with, and if you have 30 morbs running around, the gas one produces can prevent the other 4 nearby from producing any for a bit, so keeping the pressure down is imperative to get close to that expected output.

3. Do you need to have pufts proliferate in a 96 large area or leave it open?

From what I remember, you want to keep your pufts tame to maximize their output.  You could just have a bunch of non-tamed ones around, but I believe they produce less than their tame counterparts.  What you can do though is stack multiple ranches though and use pneumatic doors to separate them.  The slime and eggs that are produced will drop through the doors where you can gather up the materials else where, which is easier than having multiple sweeper arms per ranch.

If you have a source of Polluted oxygen (like a vent) and keep getting puft eggs from the printing pod, then there's no harm letting those eggs sit outside of your ranch and generate some slime for free.  Again, it's not going to be a lot, but it's something.

---

There is an older post where we were using algae terrariums to run a puft ranch.  My post specifically is a little convoluted as I was trying to automate as much of the process as I could, but you could simplify that a bit.  The concept itself works well and only requires a bit of dupe interaction to empty the terrariums as the rest is all automated.  Instead of running the ranches inside the design, it's actually better to keep the terrariums and cleanup system together and put the ranches just off to the side using airflow tiles (or pneumatic doors) to separate them.  That way dupes don't need to go into the bottle room and risk sweeping them up.

---

Alternatively, you can run a pipe of polluted water to a bridge with one pipe at the other end of the bridge, then just set that pipe to be emptied.  A dupe will come by and empty it continuously, generating you plenty of bottle of polluted water to offgas into polluted oxygen.  Again, if you set this up so the bottle drops into an area the dupes can't reach, then you can set up a system that opens a door once your puft area is low pressure which allows a dupe in to start emptying the pipe.  After so much time and assuming no dupe in emptying the pipe, lock the door again.

---

You will probably want more space to house this idea as slime production is slow in general, so if you need the slime for mushrooms, you'll probably want it produced decently fast.  I don't know how much of your colony is living off mushrooms but I'd probably start with 2 or 3 ranches and go from there.  You can always mix and match polluted o2 generating ideas until you find something you like.  Additionally, you'll get a ton of eggs off this idea as well, which you can either turn into omelettes or get some meat as well if you need more food.

Wow, that's a lot of good information there DemainaMyx!  it seems like a lot of work indeed for poor returns.

So for morbs to 'fall' down from the outhouses, I've seen some farm suggestions to use a mechanised door set on a daily timer to have them dropped in a holding pen (7 characters wide seeming to be the optimal walking distance), 1k PO2 pressure max.  

In a simulation, the morbs I had dropped down (I didnt actually wait for the outhouses to generate some) wouldn't drop down and seemed to stay happy right on top of the doors. Any ideas on that?

Thanks !

3 hours ago, PhoenixGaming69 said:

In a simulation, the morbs I had dropped down (I didnt actually wait for the outhouses to generate some) wouldn't drop down and seemed to stay happy right on top of the doors. Any ideas on that?

the mecahnics for doors have since changed since many studies on morbs were made. In order to drop them (and any other grounded critter) down doors, you must close a pneumatic door while they are in it, while they are on top of another door.  

OxygenNotIncluded_1U720LuWoa.png.799e39aff346a57c12a55260cbb6ced7.png

it is likely that you could get morbs to drop by doing this kind of mechanism where when a morb steps on the weight plate, it closes the door behind it and forces it to move forward onto the door on top of a door, which will subsequently close and send the morb down. 

However honestly, I'd just save myself the trouble and plant a trap down next to the morb generating outhouses and move the morbs to some sort of harvesting place where I can suck their gas and feed it to pufts. You don't need to generate morbs for more than maybe 40 of them, so why bother making an automated system?

OxygenNotIncluded_TQvTDPUd5g.png.f94c095bfb8f2e02ff15a916f003a32f.png

I am running out of slime for a mushroom farm

not trying to be "that guy" but if you are far enough in the game to be running out of slime, then why have you not moved on to higher quality food farming/productions?

even if you are trying to upgrade to mushroom wraps, you'll have to work on sustaining bleach stone too which means ranching squeaky pufts and a chlorine geyser

In my experience if you need to ranch critters to maintain crops, you are better off ranching critters for their meat

If you are dead set on mushroom farming, might I suggest using pips to plant wild dust caps?  You'll have to plant 4 times as many dust caps to maintain the same rate as your farms, but they will never need slime

Archived