Character Name Selection Screen Issue

It's been ages and I'm trying to update an old mod of mine, Winifred the Witch, up on the steam workshop, and things are going pretty smoothly up until I try to get Winnie's name to appear on the selection screen. 

Now, I've seen this issue around, and apparently it was a compiler error, and the fix is to add your images, compile them, and then edit the XML documents to reflect the correct compiling script. 

Which I did. 

I've tried every feasible combination of edits. I've provided my own pngs for the grey and gold names. I've changed either and both of the element name tags in the XML documents for her name. I even made sure that the png is scaled to a power of 2, at 1024x512. Nothing is working. The game works fine, and nothing crashes, but hovering over the selection icon for my mod character has no result on the name. It will just linger on whatever the last canon character you hovered over was. 

I've seen threads around that detailed how the fix this, but they all seem out of date, since Klei keeps updating this game and all the threads I looked at were from early 2019 at the LATEST had an entirely different selection screen all together. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I mean. 

image.thumb.png.4757f6b85e478b6c3e0ffc8eae5434cb.png

image.thumb.png.ee36634353e264b096c87642a0283c01.png

By all accounts, according to the tutorials I found, it SHOULD be working, but it just isn't. 

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? 

1 hour ago, penguin0616 said:

So mousing over your character does nothing? No changed stats, no description change, no name change? Or is just the name not working?

It's only the name that isn't working. Thankfully I was able to sort the rest out between the existing mod and the updated template file, but nothing I do to the images folder containing the name files works. 

4 minutes ago, penguin0616 said:

Did you properly link your asset?

If I understand correctly (and I probably don't, let's be real here) then yes, how I fixed the nomenclature in the compiler files SHOULD have linked the assets. All of her files and assets use the same name, winifred. 

The autocompiler links the assets automatically, but there seems to be a hiccup in how it happens. Changing the autocompiled "names_winifred" and "names_gold_winifred" to just "winifred" on each under the element tag, should have fixed it, but did not. 

I don't know how the compiling/animation stuff works, but I know you need to load them in with Asset()

Assuming you've done that, then I'm not sure what your problem is. Probably you not providing the name asset to the character screen.

Edited by penguin0616
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, penguin0616 said:

I don't know how the compiling/animation stuff works, but I know you need to load them in with Asset()

Assuming you've done that, then I'm not sure what your problem is. Probably you not providing the name asset to the character screen.

AH! Yep, that was it!!! Because I'm updating and existing mod, I'm using an older version of the character template, so it didn't have the right asset lines loaded into the modmain.lua. GOD you wouldn't believe the circles I went in for hours trying to figure that out, thank you so much!! 

image.png