Steam deletion in turbine room

I have a pretty simple steam room/steam turbine setup that's been running 800 or so cycles now.  Its completely sealed.  I have many across my base of all sorts, but this particular steam turbine/room setup is slowly losing water.  Every 100 cycles or so I have to pump another few hundred kgs or so into it to keep it from running dry.  I have no idea why, anyone want to hazard a guess as to why?

Also 3x now, the steel doors have opened, but still continued to transfer heat (while open) and required a save/reload.

*edit: its the steam room in the middle, with two turbines on it, without any aquatuners in the room.

20201004152734_1.jpg

20201004152745_1.jpg

I've been chasing some steam deletion of my own for a while...  Mine happens in a high-ish pressure steam chamber and is pretty much random for all that matters. I also have a different low pressure setup on the same map/play-through and has never once given a problem since it was put to work.

So right now I'm guessing the automation for the doors in that particular room is around 357ºC for two inlets on each turbine...

As far as I can see no weird stuff is going on build-wise... so I blame gremlins atm. (In my case I slapped an atmo sensor and a liquid shutoff to refill automatically and decided to forget the holy water.)

It is really odd that the heat conduction does continue after the doors are opened, the vacuum is there for all to see...

My only guess is perhaps it has something to do with the restricted inlets.  When the battery turns the turbines on, the 1st water packet is rarely 800g.  So I'm wondering if a little bit of water is delete'd on startup every time?  But I have dozens of steam turbines/steam rooms, all with varying levels of pressure, and all are fine except for this one.  So I'm sort of at a loss...

This is completely unrelated, but I'm curious. Why are you using blocked inlets on the turbines, instead just setting the thermal injector to a lower temperature? You could be drawing full power from all 3 turbines and have the AT in one big steam room.

@Crimsontide

This could be an issue of materials teleporting upwards into your steam room (probably not, but might be).  I can't see what the first open tile is below your turbine (all I see is the boulder underneath it). Both liquids and gasses can teleport upwards any number of tiles, which could be the issue (based on what lies below your boulder). Maybe this will help diagnose the issue, maybe not.

On 10/4/2020 at 8:01 PM, ghkbrew said:

This is completely unrelated, but I'm curious. Why are you using blocked inlets on the turbines, instead just setting the thermal injector to a lower temperature? You could be drawing full power from all 3 turbines and have the AT in one big steam room.

Since the doors weren't powered, I didn't trust them to open/close fast enough to not cook the AT.  The AT was added a bit later as well (if I remember correctly) as I set that up pretty early.

1 hour ago, mathmanican said:

@Crimsontide

This could be an issue of materials teleporting upwards into your steam room (probably not, but might be).  I can't see what the first open tile is below your turbine (all I see is the boulder underneath it). Both liquids and gasses can teleport upwards any number of tiles, which could be the issue (based on what lies below your boulder). Maybe this will help diagnose the issue, maybe not.

I'm confused as to what you are asking.

3 hours ago, r4tch3t said:

Could it be the location of the liquid vent? I usually place them lower down, but not sure if that would cause issues.

I have numerous steam rooms with vents at both the top and bottom.  Only this one was affected.  The only thing that is different (as far as I can tell) was that I was restricting the turbines to 2 inlets (all the others in my base are 4 or 5 inlets).

1 minute ago, Crimsontide said:

Since the doors weren't powered, I didn't trust them to open/close fast enough to not cook the AT.  The AT was added a bit later as well (if I remember correctly) as I set that up pretty early

The easy solution for this is just setting a lower cutoff temperature that takes into account the speed of the doors. So turbines with 5 vents will usually do the 850W at about 202ºC then you could set it to 196ºC or so. But still, the way you've built it kind of saves 2 columns of space. Hey, as long as it works...!

3 hours ago, Crimsontide said:

I'm confused as to what you are asking.

Provide a screenshot of what lies below the boulder powering your turbines. If there is an open block 40 tiles below the turbine, that could be an issue. I can't rule it out because I can't see everything below (no matter how far) your turbine.

9 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Provide a screenshot of what lies below the boulder powering your turbines. If there is an open block 40 tiles below the turbine, that could be an issue. I can't rule it out because I can't see everything below (no matter how far) your turbine.

Ahh ok.  Umm, sorry but the saved game has since been overwritten, and it is now fully replaced by a proper volcano tamer.

Archived