Savefile expansion knowledge needed

32 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Do not mess with things for a marginal gain

Correct! Falls into the "if it aint broke don't fix it" category. I'm not saying the compression solution that was chosen is bad on its own, its "good enough" and that's ok too. If they let us use a compression program of our own it would become "build your own ONI", or "frankenONI" Software integration problems would arise and we'd add up to the calamities of 2020

Getting back to the post, I'd started to suspect this component as the one slowing down gameplay for me. The save event numbers I gave are from after loading the game (load, then save with & without "save mod") save times vary wildly from pc to pc.

12 minutes ago, Cipupec2 said:

ONI is past production, so any changes to how the engine works are unlikely, that assuming that they are actual viable and there robust multi-platform package to implement it.

A lot of neat stuff does come from mods and it's not uncommon to see some things pop up as official parts of an update. I've heard about some games taking their time in being "complete" while they receive updates and patches. *cough* terra **wheeze** ria

The whole point of this thread was to find out about some performance numbers and if anybody knew of an already existing functionality that may have been there for devs but buried away on account of it being irrelevant for most people. "Enabling" it would have been something in the order of adding a variable to a config file or summoning a mystery file like the one for debug mode.

I'll leave this baby of a thread to you guys & gals, I'm already happy with the results. Any more and I think I'd have to start programming a mod on my own. I know the devs are also watching like the tooth fairy, they must be having a blast.

4 hours ago, MinhPham said:

One important thing to notice though .... most hard drives now ARE SSD, which have limited write counts before they're dead.

Yeah terabytes of data. They will be replaced with bigger ones long before they die. And they are just certified for that write count. Most of them will survive double or tripple the amount. There is no counter that kills the cell after X writes. It will just burn out over time, and if its not valid anymore it gets blocked by the firmware, reducing effective disk-capacity. The rest of the drive works normal.

1 hour ago, SharraShimada said:

Yeah terabytes of data. They will be replaced with bigger ones long before they die. And they are just certified for that write count. Most of them will survive double or tripple the amount. There is no counter that kills the cell after X writes. It will just burn out over time, and if its not valid anymore it gets blocked by the firmware, reducing effective disk-capacity. The rest of the drive works normal.

Unfortunately, quite a few will die when they reach their real limits. The promise made back then by some vendors ("the drive will go read-only") were pretty much a lie. However, ONI saves are unlikely to kill even a cheap SSD.

Archived