A new affliction: parasites

Hey Klei,

It would be great (read: terrifying) if there was a parasite mechanic in the game.

A food (such as meat) or waste systems could get infected with eggs from a parasitic organism. Those eggs enter the dupe's system and will hatch inside the dupe, sapping their calorie intake, or stamina. The dupe would need to be diagnosed, and treated. If not, the dupe runs the risk of spreading more of the parasite's eggs into the waste system. Contact with such a system could cause new infections.

Here in Madagascar, is the ever present threat of Bilharzia or Schistosomiasis, its life cycle is incredible. Some natural inspiration for hostile alien environments :)

-nd

On 8/26/2020 at 4:06 PM, ndorfin said:

Hey Klei,

It would be great (read: terrifying) if there was a parasite mechanic in the game.

A food (such as meat) or waste systems could get infected with eggs from a parasitic organism. Those eggs enter the dupe's system and will hatch inside the dupe, sapping their calorie intake, or stamina. The dupe would need to be diagnosed, and treated. If not, the dupe runs the risk of spreading more of the parasite's eggs into the waste system. Contact with such a system could cause new infections.

Here in Madagascar, is the ever present threat of Bilharzia or Schistosomiasis, its life cycle is incredible. Some natural inspiration for hostile alien environments :)

-nd

I doubt that we`ll see any disease mechanic in ONI that would improve the gameplay.
Dealing with parasites will probably be done with Chlorine, so basically the same machines we use to disinfect will remain unchanged.
Adding parasites adds nothing new to the game.
Adding a new feature should enhance the gameplay with either presenting a new problem to solve in a unique way or introducing a new unique way to solve an existing problem.
Otherwise, whats the point of adding new things if the gameplay remains unchanged?

13 hours ago, alexkuzmov said:

I doubt that we`ll see any disease mechanic in ONI that would improve the gameplay.
Dealing with parasites will probably be done with Chlorine, so basically the same machines we use to disinfect will remain unchanged.
Adding parasites adds nothing new to the game.
Adding a new feature should enhance the gameplay with either presenting a new problem to solve in a unique way or introducing a new unique way to solve an existing problem.
Otherwise, whats the point of adding new things if the gameplay remains unchanged?

It could require cooking instead of chlorine. So feeding dupes with uncooked meat would be unsafe. But is there anybody who let dupes eat raw, when they already have grill?

On 9/24/2020 at 7:57 AM, Notecja said:

It could require cooking instead of chlorine. So feeding dupes with uncooked meat would be unsafe. But is there anybody who let dupes eat raw, when they already have grill?

Me. With my shitty power system, they mostly eat raw stuff. If this is implemented,i have to quickly fix that problem. GIves me another resson to fix it( not like there 6thosand other resson)

Archived