How effective of a strategy is tanking for bosses?

I skipped everyone's posts to just reply my thoughts on this, so I'm probably going to repeat some people - 

tanking and trading is a solid strat for some bosses, especially if you have 3 people (or 2 people if one is Wolfgang)

Deerclops - light a fire pit and stand over it while fighting.  This keeps you from getting frozen.  Killing Deerclops this way is pretty good because the fight gets done with quickly so her sanity drain doesn't become much of an issue.  Because the fire is there you don't need to worry about winter gear either.  I usually kite this one out myself, or deal with it your dad's way (walk her through trees until treeguards spawn and fight her for me) but tank and trade is a solid strat for her.

Moose/Goose - tank and trade is very good here.  She is single target so only 1 player will take damage.  Just count her attacks and be ready to grab your weapon when she honk's it out of your hand.  I wouldn't recommend tanking the mosslings though lol.

Bearger is tough because every hit knocks your weapon out of your hand, and this boss can easily clear monsters away so you can't always lure it anywhere...  BUT since Bearger's loot is very niche you can just lure it somewhere that it won't bother you.  I like to boat out to the lunar islands and build a teleport focus on one of the small ones.  Then I teleport Bearger out there and I never need to worry about where it is.

Antlion is tricky to tank / trade through because you can be pushed out of combat range and take serious damage if you just stand still, so I recommend dodging around for this fight.  You can also just not fight it and deal with sinkholes or cave ins neither of which are a serious problem for prepared players.

------------------------

Dragonfly is a great one to tank / trade with.  Like moose/goose she is single target damage only, so a group gets a lot more out of trading then she does.  Just have someone be ready to play the pan flute when she rages, and build a wall to block the lavae.  If you have 3 people you'll probably get 2 stuns on her and the fight will be over super quick.

Bee Queen - trading with her is probably the only way to fight her, but with multiple people you can have some focus on distracting the grumbles while others focus on the tank/trade with her.  You'll need a bit of coordination but its WAY better than solo lol.

Klaus - This is a boss that you probably want to kite to fight.  His spells, deer, and attack patterns make it hard to fight him directly.  Unless you wanna cheese him with a lureplant or stagehand and some wall/sign setup.

-----------------------

Ancient Guardian is an okay enemy to tank/trade with in a group.  Just surround him from different sides and swing away.  There aren't any special considerations for this fight, just don't corner him at the edge of the terrain or he might drop loot off the edge.  Super easy, great tank/trade target.

Toadstool - like Klaus you kinda have to play Toadstool's game of dodging and chopping.  You can't really tank/trade through this fight.  Like Klaus there are some cheese strats that can make him a lot easier to deal with, but tank/trade just won't work.

AFW - provided someone goes after the shadow hands to end his shield spell tank/trade is very useful.  Just rush him with hambats, armor and healing while someone goes insane to deal with shadow hands.  3 players is plenty.

----------------------

Malbatross - you really only have the option to tank/trade this boss.  On a boat you can't really kite around her attacks, so grab your armor and healing items and hold F till she drops lol.

Crab King - same thing, you don't really "dodge" in this fight...  Unless you count dodging his freeze spell.  3 people should make this fight easy.  Have one kill the claws, another on ice staff duty to stop his geyser spell, and they all hold F on him when they aren't needed for those tasks.  Nothing to it.

7 hours ago, SnowdropPax said:

I only play as Wormwood, and my mom plays as Wickerbottom. My Dad interchanges between Woodie and Webber.

Technically all of the methods below can be seen as "cheesing", if you plan to play the game without using these, you can but i don't see a reason on why not to. If it exists in the game, i don't see it as cheating even if it can feel a bit like an exploit using lureplants to trap a boss for example, but still no reason not to use it.

Once you have all the gear and royal honey from these methods you will be able to spend them to actually learn fighting these bosses and their kiting patterns if that is your goal but after you learn you can still go back to using these. I know how to kill every boss in the game without using them but i use them because it is easier and more efficient, i don't need to waste resources on regeneration or armor and weapons.

I still can't see anyone mentioning Wickerbottom setup with tentacles.

I can basically kill beequeen,dragonfly while using one hand and letting my tentacles do all the work, i just need to put dragonfly to sleep when it is enraged. Just search "dragonfly vs tentacles" on youtube and help your mom set it up, you'll still be able to feel excitement of getting these items without frustration and dying. This works for bee queen as well and its really good to have it made there too. I suggest using 5-6 on tentacle books on dragonfly and 6-7 on bee queen. In general the more tentacles you have the less they'll die and you'll be able to kill the bosses multiple times.

For next method you need to explore moon island, but you should probably do that earlier in the game for stone fruit bushes.You just dig them and plant them in your base, will take a long process to obtain sprouting stone fruit as it has 1% chance to drop from them, you'll need to fertilize them for a long time until you can get enough of these, once they are planted they don't need to be fertilized and won't get disease, but you should have disease turned off in the game if you plan to play on a long term world. This basically helps you have unlimited stone quite easily without destroying rocks that will make your world barren or caves.

Ancient guardian can easily be killed, just go to the location he is standing at, make him charge at you and then run to his spawn spot he was before he charged, place Anenemy(that's why i mentioned moon island) and leave. If you come a couple of ingame days later, he'll be dead as it seems that anenemy resets on top of him and keeps dealing damage even if you are not near.

It is also very easy to kill fuelweaver really hard boss to fight in the game by placing lureplants around his skeleton and building houndius shootius outside of his arena, since he can't destroy lureplants he won't be able to walk out of the  range if you build his skeleton close enough and wall one side off with it, you just need to use lazy explorer to escape his cage/arena and then use a ranged weapon or anything that can be used from range to deal damage to aggro the shootius onto the boss. Takes a really long time to kill with one, but after you kill him once you'll be able to reset caves and get another one there.

These are not the only ones you can use, i just mentioned the ones for important and harder bosses that give good loot like unlimited gems from bee queen and dragonfly and royal honey, so you can actually have unlimited thulecite without even resetting caves or bothering with gathering it after each reset, all you need is construction amulet and deconstruction staff and keep crafting thulecite armor with construction amulet and then deconstructing it later and you get more thulecite back, the only issue are green gems that you can easily get if you use these methods to farm them.

Some other comments talked about easier bosses and how to kill them, so i didn't want to go into that. I still find it weird how they are saying just dodge or learn patterns for your mother. I know for sure that my mother would not be able to learn or have reflexes to do that, its not as easy for people who are not into games that much and then you give them don't starve together and expect them to actually learn fast or even have the reflexes for it.

10 hours ago, Articestone said:

U all could do indirect fighting, webber with spiders, woodie have increases companionship, wicker got tentacles and wormwood have.... Lure plants and Sea Weed? 

That's something we are trying to do...we tried to kill Bee Queen, with bramble traps, bramble husks, marble suits, football helmets and bee bonnets. It would have worked, too, if we would of remembered that bramble traps don't work on bees. But we still almost killed her!

7 hours ago, SnowdropPax said:

That's something we are trying to do...we tried to kill Bee Queen, with bramble traps, bramble husks, marble suits, football helmets and bee bonnets. It would have worked, too, if we would of remembered that bramble traps don't work on bees. But we still almost killed her!

Just spam bunnymen houses

23 hours ago, SnowdropPax said:

If you like indirect this is my fav method for bee queen:

Spoiler

Archived