Arbor Seed Harvesting

Has anyone worked out the specifics of arbor seed harvesting post AP-417040? I understand pips must be used for harvesting arbor seeds now from arbor trees. Are these tame pips we're talking about and/or wild pips? What about harvesting from arbor trees in farming tiles (domesticated) vs. wild trees?

In quite a number of cycles, I've only seen a tame pip harvest from a domesticated tree. I had been waiting for tame pips to do this with wild arbor trees (my primary ranches), but it wasn't happening. Shortly after setting up a ranch with one domesticate arbor tree, the pip harvested almost instantly, but hasn't since. I have three pips in the "harvesting" ranch now with one domestic tree and still nothing.

If a tree has a seed, a pip will be along shortly to harvest and replant it somewhere annoying.

If a tree does not have a seed, harvesting its branches has a small chance of generating one.

As a demonstration of the above two posts, here's two acorns in about 10 seconds.

5LRU4MOldK.gif.0446614b37df755de6d5d40a1d5a526b.gif

By the way, nothing was changed about pips harvesting in that patch, just a confusing tooltip was removed. Also, there's no need to toggle auto harvesting.

36 minutes ago, Lurve said:

If a tree has a seed, a pip will be along shortly to harvest and replant it somewhere annoying.

If a tree does not have a seed, harvesting its branches has a small chance of generating one.

Are you saying you can see the seed on the tree? I thought only pips can actually acquire the seed, but you're saying there's still a small chance?

29 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

best way to farm for seeds is to keep pips enclosed with the trees (wild or tamed doesn't matter)

turn off auto harvest

harvest branches manually if pips don't harvest any seeds

Are pips harvesting the seed when they eat the branches, or is harvesting the seed a different process? I'd assume it's a percentage chance everytime a pip feeds on a branch, with a lower chance if a dup harvests the branch?

19 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

As a demonstration of the above two posts, here's two acorns in about 10 seconds.

5LRU4MOldK.gif.0446614b37df755de6d5d40a1d5a526b.gif

By the way, nothing was changed about pips harvesting in that patch, just a confusing tooltip was removed. Also, there's no need to toggle auto harvesting.

I'm not following what you're trying to show here. You're constantly harvesting one of the branches?

Just now, _alphaBeta_ said:

Are pips harvesting the seed when they eat the branches, or is harvesting the seed a different process? I'd assume it's a percentage chance everytime a pip feeds on a branch, with a lower chance if a dup harvests the branch?

They will shake the whole tree to drop the seed, it's the same animation when they spill the contents of Storage Bins

30 minutes ago, _alphaBeta_ said:

Are you saying you can see the seed on the tree? I thought only pips can actually acquire the seed, but you're saying there's still a small chance?

I'm not following what you're trying to show here. You're constantly harvesting one of the branches?

1. You cannot see acorns on the tree. But the tree has one or it does not. If it has one, any nearby pip will randomly go to the tree and generate an acorn and remove it from the tree.

2. No, acorns do not generate from branches directly. Eating branches does not generate acorns. Harvesting/digging a branch has a 5% chance to generate an acorn within the tree. (More precisely, when a new branch is generated this happens - new trees which start with 5 branches can have acorns.)

3. Yes. Each time I dig a branch in this image, there is a 5% chance that the tree will generate an acorn, which can then be retrieved by a pip (this can be seen twice in the image).

* 5% chance based on my recollection of someone who said they looked at the code a long time ago.

So what ultimately generates an acorn? Sounds like it's only the act of dups harvesting branches. In the event that an acorn is "created" inside the tree (not shown), you still need a pip to retrieve it. Do I have that right?

I'm currently waiting for more acorns with a combination of wild and domestic trees in three pip ranches, and nothing is happening. If my summary above is correct, my issue is that I have auto-harvest off for all these trees. Sounds like at least some of these ranches should have at least one farm plot tree that is set to be constantly harvested. Wild would be less desirable given the slower growth rate and subsequent less often harvesting of branches.

I think we established that wild or tame pips have the same behavior. In that case, a wild pip or two in a tree farm would seem the way to go for maximum acorns.

23 minutes ago, _alphaBeta_ said:

So what ultimately generates an acorn? Sounds like it's only the act of dups harvesting branches. In the event that an acorn is "created" inside the tree (not shown), you still need a pip to retrieve it. Do I have that right?

This is very close, but dupes don't have to be involved. Precisely, it is actually the growth of a new branch which generates an acorn in the tree. So even without auto harvesting, the branches will harvest themselves (very slowly) and eventually generate acorns. You can even harvest branches by creating a waterfall over your branches with no dupes. And yes, pips are always required to retrieve it.

But as shown, you can just repeatedly dig branches over and over, without waiting for them to mature, in order to respawn branches and rapidly generate acorns. You can keep your farm however you like and make a specialized tree for this (or not).

Below are two specialized rooms to rapidly break branches from the above link:

2.jpg.426cb2eb0ae096f8d9838aafb954d88c.j

Thanks this has been very helpful. Just now I had an acorn that was finally generated in one of my pip ranches without any harvesting of branches. I was about to say that perhaps pips eating branches triggers this same "branch growth" behavior, but it also could have been an uneaten branch that lingered too long at "ready to harvest" and harvested itself, just as you point out. Of course there were then plenty of pips to extract the acorn.

You're saying an acorn has a chance to be triggered when a new branch starts growing hence these setups that aim to kill off the branches. I probably got my initial acorn just as a new tree starting growing branches for the first time, so that checks out.

It would seem a setup to avoid would be an underfed ranch with too few trees and too many pips. If none of the branches ever have a chance to reach maturity due to eating, there wouldn't be any branches starting over and therefore no acorns.

3 minutes ago, _alphaBeta_ said:

It would seem a setup to avoid would be an underfed ranch with too few trees and too many pips. If none of the branches ever have a chance to reach maturity due to eating, there wouldn't be any branches starting over and therefore no acorns.

The best setup would be a greenhouse of trees, with a single wild pip

I wild critter's metabolism is slow so it will eat less allowing the branches to grow

one pip is enough to spot any acorn on all trees

Archived