Why is the loop not bypassing the shutoff valve?

So I've set up a cooling loop for my base. I have it set to not send it through the shut off valve if it is under 20c. because of adding in a new portion of cooling, I want it to constantly flow, so I set up a pipe that goes through the shut off valve's entrance.

To my understanding if the shutoff valve is off, it should still continue past the input of the shut off valve and go into the piping above, but it does not. Is it because of the other flow of water? (which is coming from a Sieve that is pumping water from a slush geyser.

8f4e35fb68.jpg

db7c3387f9.jpg

As I understand it, that other flow (from the sieve) will also split and try to divert into the shutoff valve. If you want the flow from the bottom to be sent to the line above, you should move your value below the insulated tile, and put a bridge from the tile above the input on the valve to the line above, white on your lower line, green on your upper. That will only insert packets onto the line from the sieve if there is capacity, and keep the sieve line from trying to feed into the shutoff valve below.

The flow calculation ONI uses is not complete. There are solvable cases (like yours) that is just cannot solve. Usually, putting in a few bridges as flow-diodes forcing an one-way flow does the trick.

Thank you Cable and Gurgle, I actually did the couple of bridges in order to force the flow one way. I tried deleting a pipe from the sieve to see if the loss of that flow would make it work correctly and it did, so I did a work around with bridges.

Yes bridges usually solve these mixups.  The screen itself looks fine but you might have a connection offscreen that is doing something like two ins to two outs.

From my experience you can have any number of ins or outs paired to a single in or out.  But once there is more than 1 of each it breaks.

It seems like you've figured it out and fixed it... but I'd like to point out the specific issue here.

The problem is that liquid pipes are intrinsically one-way, and the way the game determines flow direction is by trying to connect inputs with outputs. In this case, that small arrow in the center shows that flow is toward the valve intake, which means that packets from below can enter the valve intake if there's room, but cannot proceed to the upper pipe. The fix is (as mentioned previously) to use bridges to restrict the flow in the center segment to the correct direction... though this takes a bit more space.
image.png.faee0a7f18223ae2c1e20b4e4334a774.png

It's also worth mentioning that if you want the lower incoming pipe to take priority over the upper input, you'd actually need two bridges.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.32cc43dd9f6ea5ca2d0ad79b52c2dd05.png

Above, the yellow pipe has priority. The white pipe (upper left) will only pass fluid onto the line if there is space. As a rule, bridges *always* take any fluid they can hold, and only deposit whatever there's space for.

Archived