Just some oversized LOX production.

I finally combined the liquid locked electrolyzers, to prevent overpressure and separate the gasses, into a pumpless LOX production. While it has 10 electrolyzers, the O2 production speed is limited by the two aquatuners able to cool only 8500 grams per second from 75C down to -200C. Right now I am pumping hydrogen, but I left space to do a pumpless Liquid Hydrogen as well.

Just as a comparison, pumping 8500 g/s of O2 would be about 4000 W, while turning that much O2 into liquid would be about 2400 W. Avoiding the gas pumps is the key to efficiency.

LOX Production.jpg

Yes, there are two continuous supercoolant loops through the metal tiles. If the supercoolant is above -200C when it arrives at the aquatuner, it is cooled. Tempshift plates do not directly conduct heat to other tempshift plates, or to pipes, only gasses liquids and solids as displayed in the materials overlay basically. Oxygen has a pretty low thermal conductivity, so I use a lot of metal tiles to provide a very high conductivity path to more evenly distribute the temperature across the room. Many of the tempshift plates and metal tiles are made of lead, although the metal tiles on the inside are made of aluminum with diamond tempshift plates joining them.

The LOX output pump bridges onto a O2 loop to feed the rockets, the loop has radiant piping to recool the returning LOX. I had originally imagined perhaps having 2 to 4 liquid pumps with separate loops to fuel multiple returning rockets but I ended up only building one so far due to a shortage of ceramic.

Archived