steam generator vanishing steam

I also have a lovely case of disappearing steam.

So might be relevant to this... gaming environment:

Pop!_OS 20.04

ryzen 3600 stock on ROG CH VI (BIOS 7803 - up to date at time of writing)

16 gb ecc ram (yes, ecc)

Mods

• bigger camera zoom out
  • pliers
  • fan tiles

Current steam turbine config to check is single gas with petro layer in steam chamber. Heat source is pumped magma so the generator block is focused.

Had this happen once before some very many cycles back. But it wouldn't reoccur so I couldn't chase this one at the time. Now it happened right in front of my slo-mo build style... (i.e.: right next to the "action")

Searching for a convenient place to upload save file atm.

Player.log

53 minutes ago, JRup said:

single gas with petro layer in steam chamber

This is also known to delete mass. Petro had become a common place suggestion, as it helped mitigate a heat deletion bug (that was fixed very recently). The best suggestion now is to NOT drop your liquid into petroleum. You can still leave petro over your aquatuner, but just make sure the incoming water does not drip into the petro.  

1 minute ago, mathmanican said:

This is also known to delete mass. Petro had become a common place suggestion, as it helped mitigate a heat deletion bug (that was fixed very recently). The best suggestion now is to NOT drop your liquid into petroleum. You can still leave petro over your aquatuner, but just make sure the incoming water does not drip into the petro.  

So I take it this will happen randomly any time this kind of drip is done...

Just now, JRup said:

this will happen randomly any time this kind of drip is done

I have not been able to reliably reproduce the bug. It happens in differing amounts. It sometimes doesn't happen.  For me, the bug happens at, or near, the loading of a world (so save/load). My best guess, at this point, is that it has to do with initialization of the world. But that's really just a guess. The bug has been reported, and several saves have been attached.  I'll make sure to link this thread to the bug report

Spoiler

Something like what you have below will suffer from this bug. 

image.thumb.png.25fd6751402fd634490789ecafc6b1c5.png

You might be able to salvage it by putting a mesh tile under the vents, forcing the liquid to enter the world in "bead" form rather than "drip" form. I have not tested that fix yet. 

20 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

I have not been able to reliably reproduce the bug. It happens in differing amounts. It sometimes doesn't happen.  For me, the bug happens at, or near, the loading of a world (so save/load). My best guess, at this point, is that it has to do with initialization of the world. But that's really just a guess. The bug has been reported, and several saves have been attached.  I'll make sure to link this thread to the bug report

Reveal hidden contents

Something like what you have below will suffer from this bug. 

image.thumb.png.25fd6751402fd634490789ecafc6b1c5.png

You might be able to salvage it by putting a mesh tile under the vents, forcing the liquid to enter the world in "bead" form rather than "drip" form. I have not tested that fix yet. 

The savefile I have also has one other steam turbine setup cooling the main base that has a petro layer and has been stable throughout the gameplay with no hiccups that I recall.

Also, vanishing steam chamber started with 200kg of water, then vanished once, refilled to 200kg then upped to 300kg "total" since remnants were not accounted for. (Yes, I counted the packets/blobs in the pipe before filling the chamber...)

Hope this helps.

Edit: removed repeat and will test suggestion.

4 minutes ago, JRup said:

with no hiccups that I recall. Hope that info helps.

I hope it helps the devs too.  I have essentially given up on tracking this bug down. :( Since it appears random, on the exact same save when you reopen it various times, and doesn't even always trigger, then without decompiling the code and tracing the algorithm, I don't really know how to continue debugging this one without breaking the Terms of Service. As such, I gave up.

Maybe I misread the terms of service, but "You will not access, use, distribute, copy, display, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble or decompile..." seemed pretty clear. If Klei wants to change this stance, or give me authorization, I think decompiling and bug chasing would be a blast. 

1 minute ago, mathmanican said:

I hope it helps the devs too.  I have essentially given up on tracking this bug down. :( Since it appears random, on the exact same save when you reopen it various times, and doesn't even always trigger, then without decompiling the code and tracing the algorithm, I don't really know how to continue debugging this one without breaking the Terms of Service. As such, I gave up.

Maybe I misread the terms of service, but "You will not access, use, distribute, copy, display, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble or decompile..." seemed pretty clear. If Klei wants to change this stance, or give me authorization, I think decompiling and bug chasing would be a blast. 

I guess one could argue "right to repair" could extend to something like right to debug... There may be some guy in NYC fixing fruity phones fighting that one...

The TOS argument is ongoing and it is something some people may not care about. I recall the days seeing fixes for some other games floating out and about on abandonware games long after it has hit that final mothball riddled destiny.

Back on topic, I was actually planning on shifting power setup to the right and separating the aquatuner with one metal or airflow tile when I saw your suggestion... However, I'm afraid that if for some Murphy-ordained reason there is some condensation event then water will mingle with the petro and end up beading on top of an airflow tile directly beneath the liquid vents. However, at that point I'd have to consider some other workaround to the puzzle... Will still feed the igneous to hatches though... Why mine "cold" rocks and lose 50% mass when you can cool the goopy magma and get lots in return...
You may have also seen some evil intent with a metal refinery there too...

Regards.

Got it back up and running again. Cracked 'er open and mopped the "unneeded" petro.

Inverted radiant and insulated pipes to actually touch the water and kickstart the machine again. Found out the melty-your-pipes way. Changed the top rock shipper to actuate on a weight plate. Niceley enough, there is momentary temp exchange between the magma/igneous rock and the weight plate gaining some temp on the drip... so serendipity actually exists.

Hopefully this should do it... Also the lead blob in the previously pristine magma was due to the automation wire bugging out and not allowing construction on its own will (Built the tiles later on).  The autosweeper also may have issues with its animation. All that wouldn't belong on this thread.

Now on to figuring out that metal refinery and how to manage the "coolant"...

20200720161249_1.thumb.jpg.bd0e4141023055bcbe4c6a999c26a536.jpg

Archived