Winona shouldn't be forgotten!

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Winona can consume quite a bunch of food if you craft "as need arises" and don't pay attention to your hunger. High hunger needs become a problem for new players.

If someone tells me they just installed DST, I'd recommend to try it out with Wilson, Willow or Wendy. If they tell me they are starting to be comfortable at playing, still not great at kiting, but want to start killing bosses alone, then I'd recommend Winona.

i guess as someone who plays wes i kind of forget sometimes how little starving some people are accustomed to, oops! i rescind my question

I agree she needs a re-work or something. And here is my take on what you suggest:

12 hours ago, UraniumXI said:

Winona's Purpose: [...]. To me, Winona should be a very powerful addition to a group, but at a cost. I like high resource high reward characters like Wurt and believe Winona is on that track. [...] I think instead of one resource being needed, rocks, it should be spread out to other resources; for catapults, maybe more twigs. And for other machines, spread those out as well. But not enough to make machines too easy to make. There is a delicate balance.

Here I have a huge problem. You mention to make Winona a high-risk high-reward (HR-HR) type of character, but you are asking to shift the ingredients of the catapults (that are good enough as they are) so that it costs less "expensive" items (rocks) but more "cheap" items (twigs). I know you mention to "not make it too easy to make", but is still counter-intuitive.

In any case, I don't think any of the 2 ideas are good. The first because she does not fit (to me) a HR-HR playstyle, the second simply because catapults are already good enough, making them easier to make, even if just a bit, is unnecessary.

New Toys: [...]

I dislike that the "handywoman" and "industrial worker" was given the inventor archetype. Even worse is that just a month after her re-work they added Wagstaff, a character that fits a million times better the inventor archetype (you could say he is DS exclusive, but you could have said the same about Warly, and to some extent Wormwood). But oh well, the mistake (in my eyes) has been made...

I agree with you. She needs new machines, just 3 and a half doesn't cut it. But I would go a step further and say instead that she doesn't need 2 generators that do the exact same thing. So, I propose that instead, the basic generator works as it currently does (but can last as long as the GEMerator currently does), and make the GEMerator into an attachable upgrade for the generator (a la upgrades for masts from Troubled Waters) that changes machines around it based on the gem it is currently taking energy from. So, for example, if you socket a blue gem into the GEMerator the spotlights would cool down players; and catapults can freeze enemies. This way we would get up to 12 new machines without having to make too many new art assets; plus 7 (original + gem influenced) new machines for every machine added if they ever decide to do so.

She also needs to be able to manage her machines better; having to waste fuel because she somehow forgot to add an on/off function is silly. A few quick suggestions:

• She can turn on/off all her machines, including generators.
  • She can take out unused gems from the GEMerator.

A Downside: [...].

Winona does not need another downside really. Otherwise you might get a Warly, that people avoid playing because it is annoying to manage. But right now Winona is mostly fine downside-wise. If anything instead of adding a downside, I would take away her "free hit from Charlie" as it is mostly pointless and ridiculous.

8 hours ago, Nooahz said:

What i think is that Winona should be the only one to use her catapults. I mean, nobody is able to use walter SLINGSHOT but everybody can use a Fuc*** complex machine (????). That`s no sense. Thats actually what winona is, just a toy used to build her machines then switch back to previously character. 

I think something like this would be cool.

An idea I have is have any character be able to refuel the basic generator, and only Winona can charge the GEMerator. Have a strong catapult that can only be charged by the GEMerator, and a weaker one for the basic. Maybe have different lights for both as well, similar to how Walter can use gems and thelucite as his personal thing.

Archived