Sea Weeds VS Crab King

Hey guys! So with this new update we've gotten Sea Weeds! They're plant pals who shoot 68 damage dealing projectiles if attacked. And you're able to replant them on whichever sea stacks you'd like once you get a sea weed sprouter.

So I had the brilliant idea to replant Sea Weeds around the Crab King, and they made some real good work of him!

Some Notes:
       The Sea Weeds won't be able to help you until they get "attacked" by the Crab King, The freezing ability of the Crab King is the only attack that will be able to agro the Sea Weeds to attack him.

Here I used a pearl + 5 blue gems, which equals 8 blue gems worth of buffs to him, in some of my tests any lower than that and the freezing ability wouldnt be able to reach the Sea Weeds to freeze/attack them. If you're extremely lucky you can get a seastack to spawn right by him and you won't need to use that many blue gems if you don't want to.

I have not done this in a legitimate run yet, however this setup and fight is possible to replicate, you might not be able to reach some sea stacks to plant a sprouter on but you should be able to get all of the inner ones planted.

"Why are your boat patches not getting consumed sometimes?" 
      To be honest im not sure, I believe it's a bug, so once this bug gets fixed you'll need a lot more patches than I used in this fight.

I did a quick count and I should of used up around 80-90 patches, so once the bug gets fixed and you'd like to attempt this strategy that might be the amount of patches you need.

Wow, nice run, good job!

I suppose you could telepoof or row outside from the Crab King's casting radius, but not too far to abort the fight, so that you don't have to use any more patches once the Sea Weeds start attacking it?

Btw, I hope Klei will change their attack sounds. I'm a bit annoyed that they used that of the Shootius, hopefully it's just a placeholder?

5 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

can the geiser spell hurt them? could be a way to aggro them

Nope, That was the first thing I tried. Geysers do not attack/hurt them.

5 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

I suppose you could telepoof or row outside from the Crab King's casting radius, but not too far to abort the fight, so that you don't have to use any more patches once the Sea Weeds start attacking it?

That might work! Is that possible though? To be able to be far away enough that he doesnt target your boat and doesnt despawn? I have to try that! Thank you for the idea.

Yeah I think the sea weeds sounds are placeholder for now, I'm excited to hear there real sounds.

3 minutes ago, Hornete said:

That might work! Is that possible though? To be able to be far away enough that he doesnt target your boat and doesnt despawn? I have to try that! Thank you for the idea.

Definitely, I used that while cheesing him with bees. Roughly a screen away from it (which is 2 poofs with the lazy explorer, so that a player could just see you on the one side and the king on the other side of their screen) is enough in my experience.

Another note to add,

The Yellow sea weeds attack twice as fast, so if you really wanted to. You can try killing all the non yellow sea weeds and keep replanting until you get all yellow, this will make the fight even faster.

Really cool! @Hornete would you consider this cheese in a legit playthrough of the game? I'm not sure myself considering the time and effort required to harvest the stalks, plant the Sea Weeds on the Sea Stacks, and wait for a full moon to spawn them; I could see an argument for either side truthfully but I would (in my own opinion of course) probably liken this to a Bee Queen fight with Bunnymen in terms of resemblance.

3 minutes ago, Owlrus98 said:

Really cool! @Hornete would you consider this cheese in a legit playthrough of the game? I'm not sure myself considering the time and effort required to harvest the stalks, plant the Sea Weeds on the Sea Stacks, and wait for a full moon to spawn them; I could see an argument for either side truthfully but I would (in my own opinion of course) probably liken this to a Bee Queen fight with Bunnymen in terms of resemblance.

Personally I wouldnt consider it cheese, itll take some time to get all the sprouts you need. 

Yeah I would think of it being similar to getting bunnymen for the bee queen fight!

Nice use of the seaweeds! I would think whether or not you call it cheese doesn’t matter. I love doing the fight the intended way - sailing around it with someone trying to fight it without ice staves, bees or anything - but if this becomes a boss with farmable loot, after a certain point it is nice to have something setup like a catapult farm for bee queen.

Archived