rev 416097: string issues

krop

The french localization looks nice so far, not many outstanding issue. A couple typo issues I spotted after 2 hours:

UI.FIGHT_SCREEN.TUTORIAL_BODY and UI.NEGOTIATION_PANEL.TUTORIAL_BODY
« Tu es sûr le point... » →« Tu es sur le point... »

CONVO.SAL_STORY_DAY_1.STATE_QUESTIONS.DIALOG_4

« T’es du genre influent, non ? » → « T’es du genre influente, non ? »

UI.OPTIONS_SCREEN.STREAMER_MODE_ENABLED_DESC_*

« pour une positionner une webcam » → « pour y positionner une webcam »

CARD.THREATEN_PLUS2C.DESC

« Attaque deux fois avec carte. » → « Attaque deux fois avec cette carte. »

CONVO.FLEAD_FIGHT.STATE_CONFRONT.DIALOG_INTRO

If I understand the markups logic, I'd say « * {baron.HeShe} a l’air craintif » shall be « * {baron.HeShe} a l’air {baron.gender:craintif|craintive} »

QUIPS.priest.greeting.2

« Cheches-tu à me rapprocher... » → « Cherches-tu à me rapprocher... »

CONVO.SIDE_FREE_PRIEST_2.DIALOG_COMPLETE

I couldn't find an english reference close to « Hesh's tendrils truly quiver where you walk » and the literal translation also doesn't make much sense.

and one last issue about the string length:

Screenshot_20200615_160557.png.f1399c85bb65174da484a94cfa39c6fc.png

Other ones not fitting:

Screenshot_20200615_171330.png.6a5ab78a58a1e8b5e829e30060d92241.png

Screenshot_20200615_185307.png.fba068bec801bda50dbafa6a69206596.png

Agreeing with most of those, except for 2 of them:

"I'd say « * {baron.HeShe} a l’air craintif" is right. "craintif" refers to "air", not to the baron, that's an official grammatical rule, which means you have to use the masculine form there, no matter the baron's gender.

As for "T’es du genre influent", while there is no actual consensus, I (and a lot of other people) tend to use the same rule, meaning "influent" would refer to "genre" and the masculine form would be right, although there's nothing official about that and your proposition would be acceptable too by most.

11 hours ago, TheOwl said:

Agreeing with most of those, except for 2 of them:

"I'd say « * {baron.HeShe} a l’air craintif" is right. "craintif" refers to "air", not to the baron, that's an official grammatical rule, which means you have to use the masculine form there, no matter the baron's gender.

Well, would you write « Sophie a l'air gentil » or « Sophie a l'air gentille » ?

masculine would be justified in another context, eg: « Sophie, à l'air gentil, [continue sentence] »

1 hour ago, krop said:

Well, would you write « Sophie a l'air gentil » or « Sophie a l'air gentille » ?

masculine would be justified in another context, eg: « Sophie, à l'air gentil, [continue sentence] »

https://bescherelle.ca/laccord-de-lexpression-avoir-lair/

You would write "Sophie a l'air gentil", although it seems I might have been a bit too adamant about it, since "Sophie a l'air gentille" doesn't seem like it would be a mistake either. In any case, the current translation still follows an existing rule.

33 minutes ago, TheOwl said:

https://bescherelle.ca/laccord-de-lexpression-avoir-lair/

You would write "Sophie a l'air gentil", although it seems I might have been a bit too adamant about it, since "Sophie a l'air gentille" doesn't seem like it would be a mistake either. In any case, the current translation still follows an existing rule.

http://www.academie-francaise.fr/avoir-lair gives hints about cases where masculine would be justified. I read it like that:

If it's a 'natural' trait, the adjective follows the subject gender (so "{baron.HeShe} a l’air craintif" should be "craintive" depending on the NPC gender)

If the trait is something the subject tries to attain, then the adjective following "a l'air" shall be masculine. (like in the example "Elle a l'air gracieux" == "elle prend des airs gracieux"

Continuing with issues found in rev. 416527:

CONVO.SIDE_SCOUT_OUT_PATROL_SPOT.DIALOG_DONE

« Uh. Sure. » is translated with « Euh… entendu » but that doesn't fit well here:

Screenshot_20200616_145053.png.180a2a0fd7d7040bc036c78a5da9b0d6.png

In the same string, "marde" is fine in fr_CA and easy to understand, but I don't think it's used in other french speaking countries.

CONVO.HANDLER_SPREE_SHAKE_DOWN.STATE_AMBUSH_INTRO.DIALOG_INTRO
« Tu trouves la route dnt a parlé » → « Tu trouves la route dont a parlé »

I'm joining krop for discussion above. I would use feminine gender, in this context, as the gender is feminine. Using masculine gender doesn't fit at all in my ears, even I can understand the arguments.

CONVO.ROOK_STORY_DAY_1_9.STATE_TALK.DIALOG_DESCRIBE_JOB
« L’alcool délit les langues » → « L’alcool délie les langues »

CONVO.ROOK_STORY_DAY_1_9.STATE_QUESTIONS.ASK_ABOUT_DIALOG_2
« pourquoi tu ne l’a fait pas tout simplement éliminer ? » → « pourquoi tu ne la fais pas tout simplement éliminer ? »

One more misuse of "a l'air":
CONVO.DROP_BANDIT_BABYSITTER_2.STATE.DIALOG_FAILURE
« Ton offre a l’air intéressant »
« "Presque <i>Trop</> intéressant. »

Archived