Meat effigies taking the appearance of their owner

Meat effigies should take on the appearance of the one that is bound to it. To me, it makes no sense that, for example, a Wilson statue revives a Wickerbottom in my opinion. Also, this would of fitted very well in the QoL update, it's not too late to add this though.

I saw this idea being suggested a long time ago. I really like it and hope it becomes true.

Just now, Owlrus98 said:

I wouldn't mind if they added a different head base on who made it, but I'm not sure that could be avoided unless Klei were to remove the current head design entirely however.

The current head design would be "Wilson's head". What they would need to add is a head for every other official character (and any future official character) plus a "generic head" for when it is not linked to anyone or when it is linked to a mod character without a "meat effigy" head.

The problem is that Klei'd need to add specific quotes for every effigy. Because right now some characters notice that effigy looks like Wilson and not them. That's a lot of quotes to add for the same structure 

4 hours ago, ConvexCaribou23 said:

Actually, I think the head would be the one of the character who built it and could be changed if someone binds themselves to it, no need for a "generic head".

I guess that could work as well. Mod characters can use Wilson's head as default to be fair.

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

The problem is that Klei'd need to add specific quotes for every effigy. Because right now some characters notice that effigy looks like Wilson and not them. That's a lot of quotes to add for the same structure 

A few of the quotes for the meat effigy are a bit weird anyway:

• Wilson implies it looks like himself, which is not all that surprising.
  • Winona and Wurt straight up say it looks like Wilson but they refer to him as egghead and funny-hair man, respectively.
  • WX, Webber, and Woodlegs all imply or directly say that the effigies do not look like them. We assume that in their eyes it looks like Wilson because at the time this quotes were made, DST was not a thing (so they never met Wilson). I will also add Wormwood in here as he only says "regrowing friends", which I guess implies it does not look like him? But is a bit weird.
  • And then you have Woodie that claims "he looks good in wood". Either the effigy "looks" like Woodie, or he thinks the effigy looks like him for some odd reason? Or maybe is sarcasm?
  • There is also Warly that says part of his "soul is within". Which could very vaguely mean the effigy has a likeness to him, but most likely he means it metaphorically, in a similar fashion to how "an artist puts their soul in their art".
  • The rest just simply mention how it is a "life insurance" or how "wrong it is".

In any case, they could add the many quotes you mention, but they really don't need to (and I honestly consider it highly unnecessary). At best they would simply have to change many quotes to be more "generic" (e.g.: Wendy's "I'm just putting off the inevitable" would be changed to "Just putting off the inevitable"). At worst they would have quotes for when an effigy is bound to the player (most characters will keep using the quotes they currently have, but the few quotes that imply it looks like Wilson/not like them will have to be changed, except for Wilson's), and add some generic quotes for when it is bound to another character (e.g.: "this effigy is bound to <player>").

They should just make the meat effigy like building a Scarecrow, it no longer has a characters body shape.. they can round off the head- because I would imagine giving each and every single character their own would be a hell of a lot of work to program & code, then as @Szczuku said they would ALSO have to give them all unique quotes per character per effigy.

(for example if a Wendy player makes a Wendy shaped one, and a Wilson examines it- He wouldn’t have the same quote as examining his own.)

Turning them ALL into a faceless Crash Dummy style rounded out thing however... means they all look the same regardless of the character your playing as.

Though I will admit that a server full of Character shaped Effigys would have been cool for something like a Hallowed Nights photo. #MeLikeyDaSpooky.

The TL:DR- it just seems like development time better spent elsewhere like adding more biomes, mobs or simply just more server toggle options like they did with Mays QoL update where you can now set your season and season length to truly being Random without needing to use mods.

51 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

giving each and every single character their own would be a hell of a lot of work to program & code

Well, not necessarily, I think that it would just be copy/paste the code with a couple name tweaks for each character plus doing the sprites.

51 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

they would ALSO have to give them all unique quotes per character per effigy

They don't need to, they could be more generic (although kinda boring).

Archived