Dont Starve Platformer?

The lore, art, and overall design is just too good not to keep going. I would love if the game became a franchise and tried other stuff. I was just thinking about what if Dont Starve and Wilson became a 3D Platformer game? Youd have little collectibles around the map, and have to free the other survivors who have been kidnapped (Wilbur, Winfred, Willow, etc.) and it could be a little like DK64 or something where finding and unlocking those characters grants you special abilities. Maybe you get their signature item, the special thing they usually start the base Dont Starve with, as your own for Wilson to help you on your quest to defeat Maxwell.

What I wish is that Wilson could be added to Super Smash Bros. His fighting style could work around needing a second to craft weapons with limited durability, maybe taking more time to craft them into even stronger weapons. At high damage, perhaps he could go insane, and shadow monsters could appear that would attack anyone on screen indiscriminately, including Wilson himself.

I understand what you're going for, but the trouble is, Klei already tested this quest-objective style of the game back in the Alpha/Beta days of 2012. What they found is that people played just long enough to complete the missions, and then stopped and waited for direction. And that's not what they envisioned for the game.   

Check out the attachment I've shared, it's an article in PDF form ... it wasn't archived on the web, unfortunately. Jamie (Klei CEO) and Kevin (Don't Starve creator) share their insights with developing the game.     

The closest we have to what you're describing is Adventure Mode, which is a pretty fun challenge. But it's meant to be a singular side-quest, not the way the base game is designed or played. 

Don't Starve Together (DST) has branched out a bit more into quest-objectives, although not exactly in the way you're looking for. You might find that more appealing than the original single-player DS.  

Intrinsic vs. Extrinsic rewards in Klei’s latest game; Don’t Starve.pdf

Archived