My first tamed volcano

I was getting very low on metals, my only source was from meteorites. Luckily I stumbled across a copper volcano! It won't get me iron for steel, but it's more than enough for any less heat-sensitive buildings.

I hadn't tried to tame a volcano of any sort before because I had no idea how I'd deal with the heat, but I think I got pretty lucky with the positioning of this one; there's a salt water geyser and anti-entropy thermo-nulifier within easy reach.

image.thumb.jpeg.d20da40abc5b6f3fb182cb6bba9fecdf.jpeg

The salt water is pumped into the volcano chamber for cooling. They geyser erupts at 95°C so it's around usually above 93 when it hits the volcano, where it's instantly vaporised filling the chamber with steam and dropping a little salt in the process. The steam is then picked up by the steam turbine giving me clean water at a slightly more reasonable temperature, which is fed into some electrolysers. Some saltwater also runs through a desalinator to feed the electrolysers during downtime.

The steam room is mostly lined with diamond tempshift plates so the temperature stays roughly equal throughout the whole room.

image.thumb.png.815454f7c41f8ad19046d247b4f53c1c.png

The electroylsers are entirely for the hydrogen, I already overproduced oxygen by a wide margin so it's a waste product and ejected into space. Not worth the cooling.

The hydrogen is used to power the nullifier and a cooling loop for the steam turbine. I wasn't sure how much cooling I'd need, but the turbine seems to be cold enough so this is probably overkill. The turbine is backed with granite tempshift plates, I wasn't sure it'd need diamond.

image.thumb.png.4b0d4e6f563d0f205d299b9e4bf112e8.png

As for the materials themselves, the conveyor belts are pretty basic. A sweeper picks up anything in the room, if it's too hot it's run through metal tiles which transfers heat into the steam then the item is dropped off in the room. When it's cool enough (under 200°C) its run through an apparently very overkill series of worts and comes out well below 0. That's way too many worts.

The wort room is lined with diamond tempshift plates and filled with hydrogen. It hit -60 while the volcano was dormant, but this is -46°C ~20% into the volcano's activity cycle so I doubt it'll climb above 0.

Salt has a separate conveyor loader at a lower priority because for some reason by default salt is more important to sweepers than metal. It just wouldn't touch the copper with the constant stream of salt coming in. Because it's left to sit for a while the salt can leave the room anywhere from 150° to just under 200°, before the worts.

image.thumb.png.4521fb834753b2c9c1f8b61f970d4c3e.png

There's nothing too extraordinary about the automation setup. There's a thermal sensor on the conveyor to ensure the metal only leaves at a reasonable temperature, a second thermal sensor to enable the sweeper when the room is cool enough (It can handle hot materials for a short time if the steam can keep it cool), and a third temperature sensor which controls when water is sent into the room. There's one atmo sensor to shut off the steam turbine when the room is too low pressure, if the steam pressure is too low the sweeper can overheat too easily, it takes a few seconds for water to start pouring into the room when the volcano erupts.

image.thumb.png.4227b54eba61e9535f4ac4ef68d9f6a8.png

And finally, here's the temperature overlay of the whole system:

image.thumb.png.d1d96ef99b4b91329770b22a40888643.png

I know there's a lot of inefficiencies, but it was a good learning experience dealing with high temperatures in pretty much ideal conditions. Less worts next time, I think.

Could have been better to do not drop off swept materials, because if the room is cold enough but not debris (it doesn't transmit heat very efficiently when just in the open air), those will be swept more than once. A closed rail loop would have been more power saving. But that's a detail.

Indeed there's probably too much WW. You could have build them atop mechanized doors (using farming pots) ; and using a temp sensor you would have been able to disable them when this room is cold enough. I hope this zone isn't afraid of beeing too cold, because not isolated and not automated you've WWs + AETN that are cooling the whole area. It's a detail as it's quite easy to solve. (as a side note, AETN, like WW, works better when used in Hydrogen).

The biggest thing I see here for me is tempshift plates touching isolated tiles. By the way tempshifts speed up heat transfer, you're breaking a part of your isolation. Also, there's way too many, a simple quartering would be almost as effective. But this, is also a detail, especially as you're in Vacuum. Mostly, you're just loosing minerals actually (except with those TS in the turbine room. You're heating up more quickly the turbine base, which is touching steam chamber)

Cool first geothermal build by the way.

Archived