Why new content will feel underwhelming untill Klei does something about the farms

Sorry if this is just a tad bit off-topic, but I never really liked the way bunnymen farms or pig farms provided you with everything you could possibly need at all times. Meat, armor, carrots for filler. Endless meatballs n' pierogis and free football helmets + umbrellas to boot. 

I'm not asking for a complete removal of these farming tools, since I know alot of people are used to them by now because of how dependable they are, but I also don't like how you can make pigs mindlessly  walk into a fence for 18750 days using powdercake.

The only things I can really think of is: 

1. A rework to how pig houses and their respective pigs work, like perhaps, as thanks for building their homes, they could start their own projects such as building farms (with enough space similar to an ice flingomatic's range) or fishing (provided ponds or ocean is nearby) while still being recruit-able. (Honestly, I'd just love to see pigs/merms progress on their own over-time.)

2. Tweaks to the pig's A.I to prevent them from attacking each other in a loop. (i.e: how spiders will attack this spider for attacking that spider for attacking this spider, etc.) This way, they'll kill the only attacking pig and be done with it.

Though I'm sure you guys can come up with much betters than me, I agree with the notion that these completely automated farms need to be tuned down just a little without completely removing the feature, or have new methods buffed to compete. :?

1 hour ago, Toros said:

My counter argument is that stonefruits were added as a clear incentive to go to the lunar island, as well as bull kelp stalks which can be translocated back for highly effective farms.  Stonefruits from what I’ve heard rival bunnyfarms in effectiveness, which I’d argue means another problem was created.

Not sure how that is a counter argument. Perhaps "ocean resources" was more vague than I intended. I was just trying to avoid typing the words "cookie cutter cap" and "ocean fishing" over and over again. 

Anyhow, I don't consider any of the lunar island stuff to be ocean resources, because 1) they are not, technically, in the ocean and 2) they typically take very little sailing to find, since you can guess the island's location from the shape of the mainland.

Not sure I get the bit about the bunnymen either... 

1 hour ago, Toros said:

I don’t think the math favors the extra wetness protection though, and I don’t see any sea-nario where buffing the cookie caps would make them too good relative to other options.

(Yeah, they're not amazing by any means. But when most sea mobs deal damage in the 7-20 range, the difference between 70% and 80% damage reduction is fairly negligible.)

2 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Not sure how that is a counter argument. Perhaps "ocean resources" was more vague than I intended. I was just trying to avoid typing the words "cookie cutter cap" and "ocean fishing" over and over again. 

Anyhow, I don't consider any of the lunar island stuff to be ocean resources, because 1) they are not, technically, in the ocean and 2) they typically take very little sailing to find, since you can guess the island's location from the shape of the mainland.

Not sure I get the bit about the bunnymen either... 

(Yeah, they're not amazing by any means. But when most sea mobs deal damage in the 7-20 range, the difference between 70% and 80% damage reduction is fairly negligible.)

Well the counter argument is that Klei understands how to make incentives because they want us to visit lunar island to take the stonefruit, but then a lot of the other island resources are pretty niche.

Farms that don’t require sailing are relevant to the discussion based on the premise that if you can solve something easier without sailing it reduces the motivation to go sailing to solve that problem.

Lunar island is kind of obvious for veterans which makes it a low effort find with substantial benefit, which really isn’t that helpful if you’re considering the cost/benefit of other ocean resources.

For what it’s worth I hope you’re right and future updates will make some of the under appreciated ocean resources more prominent.

Archived