Boats and Hounds

I have a new question for any boating friends - What do you think could be built onto a boat to help manage hound waves?

Right now I can only really think of doing a flingo and burning things to trigger freeze lock downs allowing me to single out a few to fight.

What other options might be good mobile hound security?

(Died to a hound wave on Pearl's island) thx ~

Thankfully right now as an anti-frustration feature (I hope, and not a bug) hounds don’t  spawn for you if you’re on your raft already when the hound warnings start for other players, whenever it is they’re triggered to start. 

When you’re on land (or Pearl’s island in your case) standard rules apply - armour and weapons, focus one hound at a time. A flingo on your boat is definitely recommend, you can fight on the land around your raft with it on, but you may have to tank a few hits to keep them in flingo distance. You have the right idea there, just bear in mind the collision of the flingo is larger than most structures and can make your raft feel cramped. If you like, you can put down some tooth traps on board if you have space (traps can be placed close to other structures and don’t block movement) just to whittle them down, as long as you have some way of dealing with red hound fires.

Bring a good amount of armor (one log suit and one football helmet do the trick for me) and a dark sword and just fight the hounds as they come. As long as you stand away from important flammable things, you shouldn't have an issue with fire hounds. An ice staff and luxury fan are good to bring in case something important does catch fire. 

The elemental hounds are more or less the main thing making hound waves doable alone after 100+ days. You'll have a much higher chance of surviving them if you kill blue hounds to freeze regular ones and use the fire left behind by red hounds to distract regular hounds.

If you want advice on how to beat the hounds.....I got nothin'. But if you would like some advice on how to "get away" from the hounds, you could wear a bush hat before they spawn in, and then hide with it after you set course in a sailing direction without obstacles in the path (this way you're leaving the area they're in and not drawing aggro as you make your escape).

this has only happened to me once, but hounds spawned right as i was leaving pearls island. And because of this, i had a swarm chasing me as my boat was going full speed...
But because of this, i was able to pick them all off just using a trident and its ranged attack

So maybe you could try it, as you hear hounds spawning, just get up and leave, and try to use your trident to fend them off if you have one

Archived