Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Memetan

My experience about Wurt, and why she needs changes.

Recommended Posts

I tried to play only Wurt for the last 3 months and I don’t get the point about what makes Wurt a good contribution to the team, and I’m going to explain his special skills and the problems I find.

She can see where are tentacle spots before they attack, ist cool but is only worth it in the swamp.

She can run faster in swamp, and that is cool too, but like the last skill is very situational. (I know she can make Marsh Turf) And anyone except Wurt wants a base that is in a swamp.

She can read Wickerbottom books, but they only give her sanity, or make loose (depending of the book) and it looks cute, but it is a waste of materials, in my opinion is better to give the books to Maxwell.

Fishes can give sanity to wurt, but dead fishes make her lose sanity and they rot slower when she has them.Also after the “Hook, line & Inker” update characters can not stack fish.

She doesn’t drop wet tools when is working with them, but is so dumb because she still loses sanity by wetness.Why should I work or fight under the rain without raincoat, or a hat or something like this?

For this reason,I think is better to obtain sanity by wetness and not fishes, I mean, she still loses sanity for dead fishes, but I think wetness is a better option. Making more useful tools like Fashion Melon, Ice cube, Water balloons among other; like Willow but with wetness.

She is vegan what isn’t a bad thing because she recovers a 33% more hunger by veggies/fruits, also she can eat kelp without penalties and durians give her 60% hunguer. So winter isn’t that bad really.

Wurt is a monster like Wortox and Webber (I know Webber is a kid inside a spider) but for some reason she is the only one who can’t trade with Pig King, and isn’t attacked by Bunnyman. Why? She is a merm and bunnymans still kill merms.

The best thing about Wurt is the fact that if she is on a boat and the boat crashes or you decide to abandon it, she only lose the item in her and she and gets wet.

 

Now let's talk about what can she do with the merms:

She is neutral with merms because she “is a merm” and can make a Craftsmerm House that is a house to the merms. Just like Webber and his spider dens.

She can make Clever Disguise a pair of glasses that makes the one who wear them be neutral to merms, like Wurt, so they can interact with merms and the King, but not with the merm guard; but anyone in all the servers asks me to make ones, and even if I make some and give them is like “ Now I look like a merm haha” and leave them on the ground. Of course it will spoil.

She can make a Royal Tapestry an expensive structure to make a merm the King Merm. If there is a King Merm on the world all merms increase their stats even Wurt, anyway Wurt initial stats are pretty nice already.

Merm King trades fish for nothing in special, and he can spawn the merm guards from Flort-tifications they are literally the same as a regular merm but with better stats, more damage and are immune to the epic screeching. Webber has spider with different attacks, so why merms don't have a variant? (instead of a slightly stronger reskin)

The best thing is that with the King all merms are neutrals to all players, “oh god yes!!!” The bad thing is that the Merm King is a black hole of veggies/fruit (yes I know the fact that I can just leave him starve and feed another one) merms are neutra, NOT friends, if something is attacking you, the merms just ignore you, because you need to feed their king and them too. But Wurt “is a merm” too, so why? (I think Webber needs this too) the Merm King is immovable because is a structure. So no one wants one in base, that means going to the King, going back to base for resources, back and forth until you are done.

And of course if you want the king’s buff in the caves you need to make another Royal Tapestry in the caves.

All of this is very tedious and time consuming, making Wurt repeat a continuous chore to be able to play.

 

All of this makes Wurt the worst DLC character because Wortox is the best healer and Wormwood is the easiest farmer for fruit/veggies. I think that she deserve a little change like I said before about wetness or deleting the hunger system on the Merm King. And if this sounds too OP making bunnymans offensive to her or deleting the fish trade system with the King merm...

At the end Wurt is a character with a lot of skills, some are just situational other are just bad implemented but is safe choice for sailing and to get resources in the swamp. If you want to use merms is better use normal ones.

I already know some people love to play Wurt and I don’t want to offend them but I can’t see a real goal to play Wurt.

 

 

 

USELESS.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t think there’s supposed to BE a goal to play as anyone.. as long as a character feels unique, different & fun to play as I believe they do their job.

and Wurt certainly does her job.

Not sure I'd encourage adding characters just the sake of "feeling different", and even if it's only that people choose them (also I remember the devs saying they won't overdo it), but I think each of the characters had a role, healer, books, magic, fighting, cooking, to make the team as a whole and to survive, like in most multiplayers... I haven't ever tried Wurt though, personally doesn't seem interesting to me, all the others have been fine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Nikolaso said:

Not sure I'd encourage adding characters just the sake of "feeling different", and even if it's only that people choose them (also I remember the devs saying they won't overdo it), but I think each of the characters had a role, healer, books, magic, fighting, cooking, to make the team as a whole and to survive, like in most multiplayers... I haven't ever tried Wurt though, personally doesn't seem interesting to me, all the others have been fine. 

Wurt can build her own Merm Civilization and then governor said civilization by choosing who she trusts with a Merm Disguise & Who She doesn’t want anywhere near her base.

However keep in mind that there are TWO very important ways of playing Wurt- 

option One- You can build the Royal Tapestry and Elect a Merm King Which spawns slightly more powerful Merms.. But now makes all Merms Neutral to all players.

OR Option Two- You can forget about electing a Merm King or ever building the Tapestry, Find a nice swamp with pre-built Merm shacks, start building your own Merm Shacks near it and then laugh like a mad maniac as anything that even dares to step foot into your territory is gang banged like that 1 person in a WWE Royal Rumble that EVERYONE targets to throw out of the Ring.. 

Honestly? option Two is broken and incredibly overpowered.. but that’s why I love Wurt :D 

Also you can feed Merm Carrots or give them a pet fish to have them follow Wurt and mine trees and rocks for her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to give my honest opinion on each of your topics prior to...

16 hours ago, Memetan said:

Now let's talk about what can she do with the merms

-if that's ok.

  1. When it comes to tentacles in the swamp I agree that the ability to see them is quite mediocre in some situations, however this is a small part of her kit and it is very useful to have the ability to mark tentacle locations (with say rot or poop) on a slow day for other players to see.
  2. Swamp turf for Wurt  is very much like cobblestones for other players, of which the latter is not cheap to make in bulk when in comparison to swamp turf which is everywhere in the swamp (cobblestone of which is usually rare enough naturally in the world that you would need to make them yourself). What I will say one her best uses for swamp turf is comes in the utility of being able to take turf from the swamp and place it anywhere you want it very easily with a pitchfork (I prefer to connect it to natural roads in places that don't have any for a faster trek whenever you need to go somewhere, and that's not something anyone else can "easily" do in comparison).
  3. True you do not get the effect that you normally would from Wurt reading those books, but there is some great utility in making a book or two for her every so often to regain sanity from (which can be seen as a trade off for having Wurt make faster trips to the swamp for the team). Depending on the book she reads, Wurt can gain or lose sanity at a different rate; Birds of the World and On Tentacles give 50 sanity, Sleepytime Stories gives 33 sanity, and both The End is Nigh! and Applied Horticulture take away 33 sanity. It is most resource-friendly to make Birds of the World as it takes only 2 eggs and 2 papyrus to make (both of which are easy to aquire).
  4. Fishes rotting after awhile can be pretty beneficial for your team (especially if playing with a Warly) for bone shards, and it always helps to keep a fishing rod on you at all times (which is good for 9 uses, and one even spawns with world generation in the oasis as well) for when you need to quickly fish in a pond for a new one.
  5. This one I certainly agree on, it never made any sense to me that she loves the rain yet is penalized by it.
  6. I'm a bit iffy on this one. On the one hand, I think that wetness should not affect her as much as other players (mainly by sanity and temperature means), but on the other hand wetness is very easy to lose as well and could be quite annoying to constantly re-apply for the benefits. The Fashion Melon by default takes away sanity at a rate of -2/min and only lasts 3 days at most which would (unless you wanted to specifically rework the way this items works just for Wurt) be outclassed by the long lifespan of the fish. The only other item (aside from water balloons) that can give wetness is the Ice Cube, but that only lasts 8 days at most and can't even be sewn as it needs ice to refuel and that can, depending on how you play, take away from your crock-pot fillers quite often.
  7. Kelp in my opinion is the single best thing to eat as Wurt in any situation. She doesn't lose sanity from it no matter if it's cooked, raw, or dried, and you get an insane amount of these suckers if you make a trip to the lunar island (30-40 kelp every few days is nuts imo); furthermore, if you invest in some drying racks you'll never need to worry about sanity ever again (which is good if you hate using carrying the fish) since they give an additional 10 sanity per dried kelp.
  8.  Pigs and merms specifically have been in war with each other for a long time and there are setpieces in the world that have pig heads on sticks in the swamp (merm biome), and merm heads on sticks in the pig villages (not to mention you can actually run into them fighting the merms out in the middle of nowhere in a specific setpiece as well). Wurt herself hates pigs with a passion and refuses to trade with their kind (also the reason why pigs hate her); and bunnymen are neutral to her because of those very reasons (no war between those tribes) and is technically not considered a monster just an enemy of the pigmen.
  9. Very useful for oceanic traversal indeed, I agree.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2020 at 7:28 AM, Owlrus98 said:

I would like to give my honest opinion on each of your topics prior to...

-if that's ok.

  1. When it comes to tentacles in the swamp I agree that the ability to see them is quite mediocre in some situations, however this is a small part of her kit and it is very useful to have the ability to mark tentacle locations (with say rot or poop) on a slow day for other players to see.
  2. Swamp turf for Wurt  is very much like cobblestones for other players, of which the latter is not cheap to make in bulk when in comparison to swamp turf which is everywhere in the swamp (cobblestone of which is usually rare enough naturally in the world that you would need to make them yourself). What I will say one her best uses for swamp turf is comes in the utility of being able to take turf from the swamp and place it anywhere you want it very easily with a pitchfork (I prefer to connect it to natural roads in places that don't have any for a faster trek whenever you need to go somewhere, and that's not something anyone else can "easily" do in comparison).
  3. True you do not get the effect that you normally would from Wurt reading those books, but there is some great utility in making a book or two for her every so often to regain sanity from (which can be seen as a trade off for having Wurt make faster trips to the swamp for the team). Depending on the book she reads, Wurt can gain or lose sanity at a different rate; Birds of the World and On Tentacles give 50 sanity, Sleepytime Stories gives 33 sanity, and both The End is Nigh! and Applied Horticulture take away 33 sanity. It is most resource-friendly to make Birds of the World as it takes only 2 eggs and 2 papyrus to make (both of which are easy to aquire).
  4. Fishes rotting after awhile can be pretty beneficial for your team (especially if playing with a Warly) for bone shards, and it always helps to keep a fishing rod on you at all times (which is good for 9 uses, and one even spawns with world generation in the oasis as well) for when you need to quickly fish in a pond for a new one.
  5. This one I certainly agree on, it never made any sense to me that she loves the rain yet is penalized by it.
  6. I'm a bit iffy on this one. On the one hand, I think that wetness should not affect her as much as other players (mainly by sanity and temperature means), but on the other hand wetness is very easy to lose as well and could be quite annoying to constantly re-apply for the benefits. The Fashion Melon by default takes away sanity at a rate of -2/min and only lasts 3 days at most which would (unless you wanted to specifically rework the way this items works just for Wurt) be outclassed by the long lifespan of the fish. The only other item (aside from water balloons) that can give wetness is the Ice Cube, but that only lasts 8 days at most and can't even be sewn as it needs ice to refuel and that can, depending on how you play, take away from your crock-pot fillers quite often.
  7. Kelp in my opinion is the single best thing to eat as Wurt in any situation. She doesn't lose sanity from it no matter if it's cooked, raw, or dried, and you get an insane amount of these suckers if you make a trip to the lunar island (30-40 kelp every few days is nuts imo); furthermore, if you invest in some drying racks you'll never need to worry about sanity ever again (which is good if you hate using carrying the fish) since they give an additional 10 sanity per dried kelp.
  8.  Pigs and merms specifically have been in war with each other for a long time and there are setpieces in the world that have pig heads on sticks in the swamp (merm biome), and merm heads on sticks in the pig villages (not to mention you can actually run into them fighting the merms out in the middle of nowhere in a specific setpiece as well). Wurt herself hates pigs with a passion and refuses to trade with their kind (also the reason why pigs hate her); and bunnymen are neutral to her because of those very reasons (no war between those tribes) and is technically not considered a monster just an enemy of the pigmen.
  9. Very useful for oceanic traversal indeed, I agree.

I like your opinion, and about the rain, I think it is a good idea about losing less sanity and less temperature for being wet, not just because she loves rain if not because this can make her skills more efficient, due to the fact that she can’t lose her tools like I said before. Being a cool character for spring. But merms still suck. Thanks for your review. :)

On 5/8/2020 at 4:52 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Wurt can build her own Merm Civilization and then governor said civilization by choosing who she trusts with a Merm Disguise & Who She doesn’t want anywhere near her base.

However keep in mind that there are TWO very important ways of playing Wurt- 

option One- You can build the Royal Tapestry and Elect a Merm King Which spawns slightly more powerful Merms.. But now makes all Merms Neutral to all players.

OR Option Two- You can forget about electing a Merm King or ever building the Tapestry, Find a nice swamp with pre-built Merm shacks, start building your own Merm Shacks near it and then laugh like a mad maniac as anything that even dares to step foot into your territory is gang banged like that 1 person in a WWE Royal Rumble that EVERYONE targets to throw out of the Ring.. 

Honestly? option Two is broken and incredibly overpowered.. but that’s why I love Wurt :D 

Also you can feed Merm Carrots or give them a pet fish to have them follow Wurt and mine trees and rocks for her.

I don’t want you get mad but, I think, all options are horrible.

According with the first option if  I don't want to have problems with the merms, the best option is just to kill all of them, like before Wurt  was introduced onto the game, and is permanent, not like feeding  the King that looks like a black hole of veggies/fruit, and pigman-bunnyman already attack hostile monsters like spiders, hounds, clockworks, worms … not like merms with the king who look like they have become neutral to everything.

And about the second option… Why am I going to do this?! I think it can be funny but I don’t want to get  banned or kicked from servers (like Willow). That's the problem with her merms, if I want to use them I can only use them alone being apart of the group, or in a only Wurt server, that can be fun but I have never seen a server like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with a lot of your points in this. Needing a second king just for the caves is annoying, and it makes no sense that she loses sanity from being wet. 

I think sanity from holding a fish is cool, though. You can catch ocean fish for it, and with tin fishin' bins you can just swap between two fishes. The extra duration for fish is really useful, too: especially for the sunfish and ice bream. They let you almost completely forget freezing/overheating exists.

I also really like Merm guards the way they are now. Sure, they're just regular Merms with different stats, but their stats and mechanics are so good that it really makes them alone a good reason to pick Wurt. I've been using them for extra DPS on bosses, protection against hounds (bush hat lets you avoid aggro so hounds go straight for Merms) and a fully automatic silk/glands farm. It's also important to note that they're very easy to command: when my Maxwell friend goes chopping trees and spawns a bunch of treeguards, I can quickly take care of them using merms by giving one of them a seed, commanding it to attack the Treeguard and waiting until it gets hit so the rest of the guards go into combat. And if you don't have a Maxwell or Woodie doing the wood-chopping, you can do it yourself by hiring a bunch of guards (or just regular merms, though I don't make a lot of houses for those) and taking them to a large cluster of planted trees. I think merm guards are easily the most game-changing thing Wurt brings to the table.

The reason she's not attacked by Bunnymen or can't trade with the Pig King is that she's a Merm, not a monster. Merms and Pigs are enemies so the Pig King isn't going to help a Merm.

Why would people not want the King in base? He isn't aggressive unless he's attacked, and you don't have to build any Merm houses near him, since Merms will follow you to the tapestry if you give them food. I have a base with a lot of friends and the King is right in the middle of it, and we haven't had any issues at all. Having to walk back and forth between two far places is definitely a pain, but you don't have to do it in this scenario.

Also, as for feeding the King, I don't think it's a huge issue. You can cook Fistfuls of Jam with 1 berry, 2 honey and 1 egg, which is an easy and quick way to feed him if you have bee boxes and some excess meat. The seeds you get from giving him fish can also be used to grow crops, and since you don't have to use a bird cage, farms are actually really good with Wurt. The King in my world lives entirely off of jam, corn, asparagus and pumpkins. Feeding him isn't a chore, either, since I can wait about 5 days between feeding sessions or just give him some food while passing by in base.

Sorry for the self-promo, but: I made a bunch that turns a bunch of my own suggestions about Wurt into a reality, so feel free to check it out if you're interested: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2088617774

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2020 at 10:49 PM, Electroely said:

I agree with a lot of your points in this. Needing a second king just for the caves is annoying, and it makes no sense that she loses sanity from being wet. 

I think sanity from holding a fish is cool, though. You can catch ocean fish for it, and with tin fishin' bins you can just swap between two fishes. The extra duration for fish is really useful, too: especially for the sunfish and ice bream. They let you almost completely forget freezing/overheating exists.

I also really like Merm guards the way they are now. Sure, they're just regular Merms with different stats, but their stats and mechanics are so good that it really makes them alone a good reason to pick Wurt. I've been using them for extra DPS on bosses, protection against hounds (bush hat lets you avoid aggro so hounds go straight for Merms) and a fully automatic silk/glands farm. It's also important to note that they're very easy to command: when my Maxwell friend goes chopping trees and spawns a bunch of treeguards, I can quickly take care of them using merms by giving one of them a seed, commanding it to attack the Treeguard and waiting until it gets hit so the rest of the guards go into combat. And if you don't have a Maxwell or Woodie doing the wood-chopping, you can do it yourself by hiring a bunch of guards (or just regular merms, though I don't make a lot of houses for those) and taking them to a large cluster of planted trees. I think merm guards are easily the most game-changing thing Wurt brings to the table.

The reason she's not attacked by Bunnymen or can't trade with the Pig King is that she's a Merm, not a monster. Merms and Pigs are enemies so the Pig King isn't going to help a Merm.

Why would people not want the King in base? He isn't aggressive unless he's attacked, and you don't have to build any Merm houses near him, since Merms will follow you to the tapestry if you give them food. I have a base with a lot of friends and the King is right in the middle of it, and we haven't had any issues at all. Having to walk back and forth between two far places is definitely a pain, but you don't have to do it in this scenario.

Also, as for feeding the King, I don't think it's a huge issue. You can cook Fistfuls of Jam with 1 berry, 2 honey and 1 egg, which is an easy and quick way to feed him if you have bee boxes and some excess meat. The seeds you get from giving him fish can also be used to grow crops, and since you don't have to use a bird cage, farms are actually really good with Wurt. The King in my world lives entirely off of jam, corn, asparagus and pumpkins. Feeding him isn't a chore, either, since I can wait about 5 days between feeding sessions or just give him some food while passing by in base.

Sorry for the self-promo, but: I made a bunch that turns a bunch of my own suggestions about Wurt into a reality, so feel free to check it out if you're interested: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2088617774

 

First of all I’m a fan of your mods from DST and I already have your “Wurt Mod”.

Bunnymans still kill merms in the game but not Wurt, that is ,what I think is, a nonsense. In your mod I saw the Merm King can give you Gold and  Mosquito Sack , but in my opinion Pig Skin and Beefalo Wool can be a better reward (same chances as a Tentacle Spot or as a reward for big fishes) because you need some of them to make Royal Tapestry and if the King drops this it could be a good investment. Making merms that spawn from Craftsmerm House and Flort-ifications neutral to players in order not to be a pain in the ass because bunnymans only attack 2 characters, and pigmans 3, merms can be stronger but if they are your enemy is a big problem because they attack all characters except Wurt (Merms really need that). Can put Clever Disguise on a Tin Fishin’ Bin so it doesn't spoil like a fish. Make something different with the Merm Guards because for me they still are a reskinned merm that does exactly the same but with betters stats (only if the King is alive). Have the power of the King active in caves without another Royal Tapestry, like you made in the mod, and lose less sanity and less temperature for wetness like Owlrus said before. 

This are some things that I really want to see in normal game, but I don’t think developers will make any of this. 

In another post where you can vote for the worts new character/refresh Wurt is in the second place for reasons. 

And of course I see my Royal Tapestry and my merm houses burnt because no one wants merms, only Wurt.

Thanks for your opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2020 at 8:09 PM, Memetan said:

Bunnymans still kill merms in the game but not Wurt, that is ,what I think is, a nonsense.

Actually, it's the other way around, bunnymen only aggros on monsters, bosses and players holding meat items, and merms are neither of those, kingless merms on the other hand, aggros on anything non-merm that gets near their house, and if they don't have one, they'll attack non-merms on sight. (with the exception of bosses for some weird reason.)                                                 

Link to comment
Share on other sites