Make the game not try to draw the entire map while not off camera

I've recently noticed that there is not much difference between zooming way in and zooming way out (recently found out about alt + s allowing extreme zoom). This makes me think that the game is designed to attempt to draw everything going on in the game regardless if its in the camera view or not to a single canvas. This is a extremely bad thing for this game if that is the case. The game should only be drawing what is visible (+ a certain range if necessary to prevent weird graphics glithces from moving the camera around).

This also would alleviate issues with large amounts of critters since I'm very convinced that the game based on performance is doing.

On 5/6/2020 at 9:35 PM, meepmoop said:

What makes you think drawing is what makes the game's preformece be so bad? My impression is that the heat and gas/liquid spread are what makes for most of the calculations.

The drawing part of the game is bad for its visual performance. I get the same FPS when zoomed way out as i do when zoomed way in. That means that the game is doing extra work drawing parts of the game that you, the user, can't even see at the time.

I personally think that some of the other game performance issues are tied to bad code in storage bins, UI, as well as the game how it handles the asteroid overall (I think the game doesn't split the world map into "chunks" but rather handles everything in one big data structure for all the tiles). 

Drawing is not the issue. You can run this game on a 10 year old GPU just fine. And the base calculations for this have to done all the way, because the world lives even if you dont look at it. The reason, you dont gain more fps if you zoom in is not because of what you thing. FPS in this game is not just the visual part. 

Archived