Climatic and Natural Influences on the Ocean

One of the things that have not yet been implemented in RoT was natural external factors of the ocean or climate interacting with the boats and players. What natural mechanisms would adapt well to DST boats? In my previous post I got into the waves topic, but obviously the boats from Don't Starve Together are not made for that system. Thinking about it and talking to friends we talked about other ways that would fit well. Natural ocean obstacles or weather that could be used for or against the player.

Ocean currents:
Paths randomly defined by the sea where it has a flow of water in one direction. That if in favor of the boat, it would influence its path and speed, and against, would slow down the speed and path of the boat. 

1504711922_SemTtulo-1.thumb.png.555720da8e1e11d69d21a80e1a501987.png

Winds

The mechanics of the winds. That would be implemented globally around the world, where it would have interactions with most seasons. But the main focus would be events at sea. It would have great influence on the boats sails . (Helping or Making It Difficult). 

Lightning storms and rough seas. 
This event would be implemented during some season (Spring Maybe?). In this event the sea would not be susceptible to navigation. Where winds would be common (which would harm or favor players), lightning, peaceful sea creatures hiding and aggressive mobs popping up. 

There's also the freezing of some parts of the ocean during the winter.

I'm still clinging onto the hope that Icebergs out at sea will get implemented soon, considering the references to them in the characters' speech files have not been removed yet.

Archived