Thoughts on this as a boss mechanic? What are its chances?

So as Return of Them gets more fleshed out, and after having read ADM's theory on what may come next, it makes me wonder if there will be a boss like this.

I'm sure eventually in RoT's storyline that the celestial entities and shadows will even out in power, imagine an entity of some sort that managed to tap into both side, and intertwine them somehow.

This entity(possibly one of them?), at least within the confines of what area it is isolated to(I'd guess confined similarly to the fuelweaver), would be able to effectively render its area either like the mainland, where sanity plays, or like the lunar island where lunacy/enlightenment plays.

Basically this boss' main mechanic would be it could periodically change between shadow form and celestial form which would switch all players nearby between sanity and lunacy/enlightenment. This would not be instantaneous or sudden, it would be telegraphed by a unique animation the boss would perform, showing a firey effect on it based on what it is switching to. Shadowy flames indicate a switch from Enlightenment to Sanity, whereas Celestial flames(like gestalts) would indicate Sanity to Enlightenment.

The point of the fight would be that the player would have to play around the periodic switches in the fight, bringing items to both drain and gain sanity reliably.
It could have either a sanity aura of 400/min or insanity aura of -400/min, based on whether it is in shadow form, or celestial form.

This boss' attacks would also vary based on form, and could mess with players with low sanity or high enlightenment, based on form, similarly to how the fuelweaver mind controls low sanity players.

I came up with these thoughts after reading ADM's theories, I'm not posting this as a suggestion but moreso as my own theory, but this is moreso a gameplay theory whereas ADM was speaking about lore specifically. What are your thoughts on a mechanic like this? Discuss.

I'm wondering if an entity made of both essences is theoretically possible since they are chasing each other and one can't exist on the opponent's territory... :wilson_curious:

Return of Them is apparently focusing on the Celestial corner and I don't remind of anything new related with Shadows, so I'd be very surprised to see this concept released for RoT, I'd expect something like the fuels fusion for another chapter of DST once the current one is finished.

(if "chapter" is an okay appellation)

Whatever, a boss playing with our sanity after its rules sounds interesting ! That's the kind of fight that will requires a very important installation for the various combat phases, that's what I like. I just hope devs will consider some of the game equipments for this one like Bee Queen Crown, Bone Armor/Helm to make them adapted in this situation (not breaking the fight...), not required but heavily recommended if you want to overcome the boss attacks on your mental... something very crazy... and completely sane at the same time ! :D

So good concept, not was I'm expecting for RoT but it should generate interest in the future.

14 minutes ago, ADM said:

I'm wondering if an entity made of both essences is theoretically possible since they are chasing each other and one can't exist on the opponent's territory... :wilson_curious:

Part of me had a thought that somewhere on the constant perhaps there is an area that is somehow a neutral zone, where one such a fusion could possibly occur? Ingame the ocean is kinda a no mans land, since shadow creatures only spawn on land and gestalts cant really spawn far from the moon island.

If we think about Charlie, when she sent back Wilson to the constant, she was fighting herself. If we had to fight her, this theory could match.

Because in all the recent theories we read, where is Charlie ? Maybe we could fight her. Before Them, ou after Them. Not in order to kill her, but just for a battle, where we would have to fight one specific form she would take. A kind of form very "fragile", don't have the good word, but she could switch between two forms to match this theory. 

13 hours ago, Moonatik said:

If we think about Charlie, when she sent back Wilson to the constant, she was fighting herself. If we had to fight her, this theory could match.

Because in all the recent theories we read, where is Charlie ? Maybe we could fight her. Before Them, ou after Them. Not in order to kill her, but just for a battle, where we would have to fight one specific form she would take. A kind of form very "fragile", don't have the good word, but she could switch between two forms to match this theory. 

Honestly this is part of what made me think this is possible.

The whole concept of a boss that changes between a Celestial form and a Shadow form would be really interesting... for Charlie. She already seems to be gaining some "white" power from the Gateway that allowed her to summon down from the skies the Moon itself. Maybe, before we get a boss that uses both sides, like ADM said:

On 4/29/2020 at 12:36 PM, ADM said:

Return of Them is apparently focusing on the Celestial corner and I don't remind of anything new related with Shadows, so I'd be very surprised to see this concept released for RoT, I'd expect something like the fuels fusion for another chapter of DST once the current one is finished.

Maybe They are a mix of both worlds, and only with both worlds combined They can return. The next boss wouldn't be Them, but the next step for Their return, a exclusively Celestial Being, because, at least for now, the Shadows are nowhere in sight. This boss could be like another side of the Fuelweaver coin (shameless plug to this thread).

Archived