Cold Biome in Rime- is it removed?

From my experience, there is exactly one and it has exactly one Sleet Wheat seed in it. I think I had that situation in 3 of 3 Rime maps.

I just looked at a few Rime maps in sandbox, and it seems there can be more than one. The exactly one Sleet Wheat grain seems to be a constant, although you can be unlucky and it rots too fast for you to get to it. Not all of Rime starts cold. 

Anyone interested in the actual reason for the scarcity of frozen biomes on Rime should take a look at \OxygenNotIncluded\OxygenNotIncluded_Data\StreamingAssets\worldgen\worlds\SandstoneFrozen.yaml.

The game seemingly generates biomes in rings progressively further from the start. On Rime, the frozen biome (subworlds/frozen/CO2Lakes) can only be generated at the greatest distance. And it has to compete with 7 other biomes. So a small number of chances to spawn and each chance is low.

Contrast with the default asteroid, Terra (SandstoneDefault.yaml). On Terra, the frozen biome (subworlds/frozen/Frozen) can be generated at 3 of the 5 distances and only competes with 3/3/4 other biomes respectively. So more chances to spawn and each chance is greater.

Furthermore, compare CO2Lakes to Frozen and it looks like the Rime biome does not allow for growing sleet wheat to spawn, only seeds.

In any event, anyone who finds this setup dumb can edit the Rime yaml and place the frozen biome at all distances. This ought to make them spawn more.

Note: I am not an expert in worldgen. These are educated musings based on the files and some screwing around with them. Real experts or people who have a greater breadth of screwing around are welcome to chime in with corrections or finer details.

RNG makes us see patterns that aren't always there.

The first three maps of a TNI search (buried oil / irregular oil / subsurface ocean) have two, zero and four cold biome nodes.

Irregular oil, subsurface ocean and volcanoes overwrite biome nodes, making a zero even more likely to happen.

4 hours ago, nakomaru said:

RNG makes us see patterns that aren't always there.

It does. A whole generation of Physicists went chasing effects from bad random number generation in simulations last century, thinking they had found something new.

2 hours ago, suicide commando said:

Ohh sounds like an interesting read. Care to elaborate?

Sorry, I do not actually remember where I know this from. Probably something the professor told us when we were studying random number generation in a cryptology lecture 30 years ago or so. There may not be a systematic text on this, publishing failures and negative result is notoriously difficult. I do agree this would probably make for fascinating reading.

Archived