Cactus flower for final hermit material?

Wondering what people think about having to get cactus flowers to finish the tier 3 hermit home. I personally don't like it only because it means that you're required to wait until summer, day 56, to even obtain the pearl. It makes the pearl inserted Crab King boss exclusive to the 1st summer and beyond, and so the hermit's story line can't be completed until then. 

I would change the required material to flower petals or lunar blossoms. It fits the flower thematic that the hermit wants. They're also a bit easier to obtain, and this little change would mean that you can have fun rushing to complete Pearl's missions as early as late autumn or winter, and defeat the Pearl Crab King before summer. Since you currently can't finish the story line or obtain the celestial tribute until summer, It's kind of a bummer for me. 

Of course the big prize celestial tribute doesn't seem to do anything yet, but it's all being worked out.

1 hour ago, YouKnowWho said:

People are always going on about how they want content to be unlocked over time, so I think it's actually not bad. I personally don't see the problem in not being able to do things all at once, yeah?

Private servers might be ok with that, but public servers which do in most cases regenerate during first winter or Speedrunners who want to obtain the pearl as soon as possible will suffer from that. And "unlocked over time" in terms of "just wait till summer begins" instead of "it takes alot of time to prepare yourself" feels kinda boring.

I'd be fine with an alternative which allows us to get Cactus Flowers (e.g. Fishes which turn into Cactus Flowers), or to make that upgrade not necessary for progress. Speedrunners will be able to take the hard way, while others who aren't good enough to take the hard way can also just wait till summer arrives.

1 hour ago, YouKnowWho said:

People are always going on about how they want content to be unlocked over time, so I think it's actually not bad. I personally don't see the problem in not being able to do things all at once, yeah?

I don't see a problem if the story line and Celestial Tribute were accessed earlier if one chooses to work on those things. Removing cactus flower would simply mean more choices are available earlier on for the player. I do have a little problem with seeming lackluster reasons to go to the ocean right now. Less time locked content could be a good start towards improvement.

When Malbatross was first worked on, they only spawned in winter around day 25~30 or something. It was good that Malbatross was later on moved to spawn on day 1. People can obtain a great sail and oar early on because of that change.

1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

Don't see the problem. To get the Lunar Moth critter you also have to wait till 1st summer

The critters are all vanity at this point and in no way a game changer. I don't have a problem with making the lunar moth accessible earlier anyway, but it's not important to me. The upcoming new content locked to the first summer is probably going to be a significant portion of the game, or at least the Celestial Tribute will have great crafts. Very different from just vanity and recreation.

Perhaps it's totally intentional to keep the new content inaccessible until the first summer and beyond, but I don't know why. 

Archived