i was thinking about oni developers are too kind, ever a time that I this they will start to develop a DLC the just add a new free update. so to make them have better feedback about what kind of DLC is more profitable maybe the would make one that googles forms questionary. behind that considering, they like to do minor design updates for free it`s better to do something that changes the gameplay. so, for example, a DLC about a space station. so the will lot have any land suppose to need another source to survive. or maybe land on that broke planet. and the will need to dig down to survive. anyway it need to be something that changes gameplay but not everything. so someone should add new ideas?

21 hours ago, augustinoi said:

i was thinking about oni developers are too kind, ever a time that I this they will start to develop a DLC the just add a new free update. so to make them have better feedback about what kind of DLC is more profitable maybe the would make one that googles forms questionary. behind that considering, they like to do minor design updates for free it`s better to do something that changes the gameplay. so, for example, a DLC about a space station. so the will lot have any land suppose to need another source to survive. or maybe land on that broke planet. and the will need to dig down to survive. anyway it need to be something that changes gameplay but not everything. so someone should add new ideas?

shouldnt they be the ones deciding when and how to release a DLC? why are you in a hurry? thats how you get crappy games/expansions, by rushing things, just let them organize themselfs and when they decide they have a good DLC rdy they will release it and we will all enjoy it.

I know of at least 3 people who have purchased this game on steam simply for the fact that there is no paid additional content  (rather than the soundtrack, but that's pretty much steam-standard)

The idea that you're investing into an evolving game is a lot more appealing than the idea that you're purchasing what would come to feel like a demo version without the extras.  In that regard, I think Klei has been very smart with this game, focusing on quality and community.
Expanding the reach of the game is likely more profitable overall, expanding the size of the community, rather than extracting profit and shrinking the community.  People also tend to say nicer things about games that don't have paid DLC, allowing Oxygen Not Included to keep its "overwhelmingly positive" rating which probably helps game sales.  If I see a game has "overwhelmingly positive", if I'm interested, I won't hesitate to buy it.  I'm not saying a paid DLC would change the rating of the game, but you never know.

Personally, I won't consider purchasing games that have paid DLCs, though I'm sure there are some out there with a solid enough core, but I just can't be bothered with it.  It makes the full game seem more expensive, and there's no way I'd want to invest my time in a partial game.
It'd feel like buying a demo.

When a developer chooses to release a paid DLC, to me it's as they've betrayed the core of their game. It's like saying "This isn't good enough anymore".

I have a lot of respect for Klei for keeping their DLCs for this game free.  It also keeps money in my wallet, and keeps the game inexpensive enough to allow me to purchase it for others. which to me is a far better investment to me than purchasing some DLC.  I'll get to talk about the game with them, share ideas, and will probably stay interested in the game for a very long time because of that, and they will probably suggest the game to others too.  Make sense?

I kind of lost motivation to play don't starve after their hamlet DLC.  I know it changes the core of the game, so it's kind of like it's own thing, but even still, I just can't be bothered with it.  I also can't play both versions at the same time, and don't really want to make the choice between getting my moneys worth, or enjoying the game as it was originally intended.  I liked the game and even bought it for a couple friends, but now I won't be buying the game for anyone, and I just don't feel the same gravitation to it.  I also learned and got used to the game as it was, and don't really feel the desire to pay in order to relearn new mechanics for what might amount to essentially the same experience but tweaked.  I'm not saying their release of hamlet should have been free, or was a bad idea, or the wrong move.  I'm sure a lot of people bought it, enjoyed it, and have no regrets in their purchase.  However, it's inevitable that there will be people like me who prefer to invest in a game that remains true to its core.

I'm sure a lot of people feel similar about DLCs, I do like supporting Klei, but I like supporting them while sharing the experience with others, rather than hoarding the experience and augmenting it.  I also won't suggest a game if it's too expensive, and I won't suggest a game with DLCs, as I'd worry the price of the full game will just keep increasing every update.  Quite a dreadful thought.

There's a game that I saw on youtube, I won't mention the name, but it's about cities and lines, and sky and such.  and became very interested in it, I was ready to purchase the game, then I saw the paid DLC list and decided against it completely.  I'll never play that game, even if I had the core game gifted to me, I'd see no point in it, as it wouldn't be the full game.  Maybe that's some ocd thing I have?  I'm the kind of person that likes to play a game to 100% completion, rather than pay to 100% completion.

Well, that's how I feel about paid DLCs.  As an indie game developer myself, I will never release a paid DLC perhaps out of principal, though I do admit I've put a lot of thought into the pros and cons.  I'm sure the pros and cons might shift for a large company, but there's still a lot of room for community growth, and I think that's the best investment a game company or even an indie developer like myself can make, but what do I know? :p

I understand the flip-side as well.  A lot of work goes into DLCs, and people don't like to work for free.
I don't feel it'd be working for free personally, as each free DLC adds polish to the product, making it more enticing for those on the fence about the purchase of the game, whereas a paid DLC would add tarnish to it, probably making people decide against the purchase of the game.

Sorry for writing an essay.  I just wanted to express my feelings on the matter of DLCs, and why I'm ultimately against paid ones.
Your idea about landing on a planet and digging down for survival feels like it could be an asteroid selection, and I wouldn't buy it.
I am in no rush to encourage Klei to develop a paid DLC for this game.

Is there anything I left out?  Anything I didn't consider?  How do you feel about paid DLCs and their influence?
Let me know!

5 hours ago, Astrologic said:

When a developer chooses to release a paid DLC, to me it's as they've betrayed the core of their game. It's like saying "This isn't good enough anymore".

I feel more like "this is good and we like it. but if you wish, there is more content". It never says the initial version was bad. Of course, it is really nice PR move to provide free updates, but you must remember that food is not free and developers need eat something too. 

My approach to the topic is that I like the game so much and I respect KLEI for their free content packs that I want to say "thank you" with my money and buy something more from them, just so they had founds for more of great content!

By the way, they said that they are planning DLC around summer (IIRC). Hope this will not spoil the game for you.

11 hours ago, PIRATE D KING said:

shouldnt they be the ones deciding when and how to release a DLC? why are you in a hurry? thats how you get crappy games/expansions, by rushing things

I totally agree, there is no need to rush and better late content than bad one. I believe OP's intention was to gather community wishlists, so we provided devs with some ideas what we want. Because only thing better than good new content is good new content that everybody was waiting for :) Look at last Bhani's pack - they added what people wanted and this made me so excited that I started playing again after some break. So why not to do this again?

1 hour ago, pether said:

I totally agree, there is no need to rush and better late content than bad one. I believe OP's intention was to gather community wishlists, so we provided devs with some ideas what we want. Because only thing better than good new content is good new content that everybody was waiting for :) Look at last Bhani's pack - they added what people wanted and this made me so excited that I started playing again after some break. So why not to do this again?

i believe he was kind of giving another impression, and having an industry where low quality rushed products are already becoming more and more common i kinda get worried that the devs might ever be tempted to go down the same path specially if by player's suggestion, so i just wanted to clarify that one of the strongest ONI points is precisely that even tho it still can be improved the hard work and dedication put into it can be felt while playing it. :)

19 hours ago, Astrologic said:

Is there anything I left out?  Anything I didn't consider?  How do you feel about paid DLCs and their influence?

So there`s a good and a bad way to make dlc.

You can make things like the updates we got lately dlc. This means some players are left out from the improvements unless they pay. It`s not a good way to handle it.

But you can make dlc that alters the game significantly. This way players that got the base play a different game than the dlc players. That`s the case with DS. You don`t have to buy Hamlet. It doesn`t affect the base game except maybe the travel between maps mechanic. It`s like an expansion pack. And even the base Don`t Starve got some new characters and the beffalo taming mechanic for free.

I think the proper way to make a dlc for ONI would be something that changes how you play singnificantly. The base game is great for making clean base designs and optimising stuff. It`s not as much of a survival challenge after you beat the first 100 or so cycles. They could add a lot more dangers and make the game more about managing problems in a growning colony, maybe with random events (kinda like giants appearing in DS) or even space trade eventually. Then people that don`t enjoy their base being destroyed by random stuff would stick to the base game and people looking for a different midgame challenge would go for the dlc.

IMO there is one more acceptable form of DLC - skins and visuals. If you don't buy it, you lose literaly nothing from the game - balance is still the same, all buildings are there. But if you are great fun of the series, you can pay a little more to unlock some insigificant stuff. In ONI I'd see something like this with pack of furnitures, that provide no bonuses, but looks nice and you can make your base pretty. Along with it, there could be some fancy tiles, ladders, doors, etc, that change nothing but allow you to build something more than usual. If you played 1000+ hours so far and you want to change something - here you are. If you don't like the idea of additional costs - you don't need to buy it and your game will work the same

20 hours ago, pether said:

IMO there is one more acceptable form of DLC - skins and visuals.

From the other games Klei made (except DST) they rather make dlcs as expansion packs. Basically a "part 2" of the game. It doesn`t affect the first part but has the same base mechanics in a completely different enviroment. I expect they will make a dlc that alters something about the game so much that it fundamentally changes how you play while still leave you with mostly the same tools.

Archived