High Capacity Water Pipes and Gas Ducts

High Capacity Water Pipes and Gas Ducts  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should High Capacity Water Pipes and Gas Ducts be added?

• Yes
    • No

Hi,

since we already have high capacity electrical lines and "high bandwidth" (4-bit) cables, I propose/request adding a high capacity variant for water pipes and gas ducts as well.

50 liters and 5 kg per packet of liquid or gas respectively seems reasonable. Obviously with some disadvantages, probably the same as in the case of high capacity electrical lines (no crossings, special tile required for routing through walls).

i dont dislike the idea but the fact that you could not pass them through walls doesnt feel very engaging, i would most likely want to pass a gass/liquid spine trough the same spot that i pass my eletric spine wich could prove to be kinda annoying, but the overall idea i think it makes sense.

8 hours ago, PIRATE D KING said:

i dont dislike the idea but the fact that you could not pass them through walls doesnt feel very engaging

I just feel that there should be disadvantages to a more powerful infrastructure for gas/water (if ever implemented). Personally, I think having to plan for a gas/liquid spine next to the electrical spine makes things more interesting. Obviously, there would be no disadvantage to the status quo because using high capacity infrastructure for gas/water is optional.

4 hours ago, pether said:

But I don't think this is the most important think do include right now and I would easily understand dev's decision to focus on something else right now

True. Imo, balancing and performance have higher priority. But then again the devs can probably handle several tasks at once. I also believe it would be rather easy to implement, since the mechanics are already there and the only major workload is presumably the artwork. 

Personally, I'd really like to see this addition of infrastructure. Because in my base design I usually pump large amounts of "waste" liquids/gasses into a general seperation/storage facility where they are seperated and stored or rerouted into their respective productive cycles.

I believe there are tons of other applications where larger capacity would come in handy and would make a nice addition to the gameplay. For example large capacity heating or cooling cycles for lava or ice biomes or for waste heat of hypothetical nuclear reactors.

I agree, but to cool said nuclear reactor one must be implemented first ;) That's why I'm saing there are other things that should be focused first - like the reactor itself.

On the other hand, implementation of high-flow pipes looks much more easier than whole nuclear program and could be done faster

On 3/16/2020 at 11:50 AM, Tayphil said:

50 liters and 5 kg per packet of liquid or gas respectively seems reasonable.

It is possible to liquify your gas  to gain more throughput (1kg/s to 10kg/s). And it is also possible to freeze the liquid to gain even more throughout (10kg/s to 20kg/s).

Of course doing this does complicate things more than just having a building that merges and separates (ie, something like the transformer).

On 3/18/2020 at 12:00 AM, pether said:

I agree, but to cool said nuclear reactor one must be implemented first ;) That's why I'm saing there are other things that should be focused first - like the reactor itself.

I was only half serious with the nuclear reactor cooling. ;) 

On a more serious note: Ice and Lava biomes offer plenty of use cases where mass-cooling and heating is required. Also, as soon as I hit 15+ dupes and have heavy industry which needs cooling I usually need to build several fresh water pipes to satisfy demand.

I believe I'm by far not the only one who would be glad to have high-flow pipes/ducts. It might not have the glamour factor of adding new features but it would imo add substantially to the basic game mechanic.

I agree that high-flow pipes/ducts would be relatively easy to implement. It would add little complexity to the game, but add (imho) a substantial amount of depth to the gameplay, by allowing designs e.g., similar to the backbone/sub-grid design of power networks.

On 3/18/2020 at 5:16 PM, yoakenashi said:

It is possible to liquify your gas  to gain more throughput (1kg/s to 10kg/s). And it is also possible to freeze the liquid to gain even more throughout (10kg/s to 20kg/s).

Sure but that is awfully complicated and takes incredible effort. I believe the more reasonable alternative is to have bigger pipes (it has precedence in reality).

Archived