[DEPRECATED] [Tutorial] Making Custom Skins for Modded Characters!

Hornete

Hey Hornete! I'm back to bug you! I impromptu decided to make a skin for my K_K mod, and after EVEN MORE trial and error, I got it to work without crashing the game... but now he's taken over as the default (which is eerily similar to the comic he's based off of hehe). You can probably tell that the character icon and the portrait do not look the same, hahah.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

On the bright side, everything works when I select the actual Hallowed Nights SWAP_ICON, but the default skin just doesn't show up. I'm just gonna upload my whole mod folder because at this point I have no idea where I could have messed up, if that's okay. Thank you for the tutorial!

K_K.zip

• Like 1

Sorry, my issue has been resolved thanks to -t- ! It was my own dumb mistake of accidentally replacing the default _none's anim .ZIP with the Hallowed Nights one. That is why only certain pieces of the alternate skin showed up. Sorry for the useless post!

• Like 1

Hi everyone, thank you all very much for creating your wonderful skins. I've enjoyed seeing every one of them and it brings me joy to see modders create such wonderful, fantastical and whimsical skins for the community to adore and use.

Tommorrow(hopefully), this tutorial will become deprecated as me and others release a revamped 'Modded Skins API' on the workshop for modders to enable and use along with their own mods. I'll be creating a new tutorial to cover creating skins for this API.

This new API come's with making the skin creation process simpler, the ability to mod in skins for your custom items, and even custom art just to spruce it up all that much(In the form of new frames and rarities). Plus a nifty custom unlock system of it's own for modded skins. :)

Edited by Hornete
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Hornete said:

Hi everyone, thank you all very much for creating your wonderful skins. I've enjoyed seeing every one of them and it brings me joy to see modders create such wonderful, fantastical and whimsical skins for the community to adore and use.

Tommorrow(hopefully), this tutorial will become deprecated as me and others release a revamped 'Modded Skins API' on the workshop for modders to enable and use along with their own mods. I'll be creating a new tutorial to cover creating skins for this API.

This new API come's with making the skin creation process simpler, the ability to mod in skins for your custom items, and even custom art just to spruce it up all that much(In the form of new frames and rarities). Plus a nifty custom unlock system of it's own for modded skins. :)

Great to hear! That will make things a lot easier, I ended up writing my own patch for the old item skins api to make it work with the new crafting ui, but I didn't release it anywhere due to the original not being mine. Can't wait for something more proper!

• Health 1

I am sorry to trouble you. I know that you have deprecated this way to add skin. But I really want to know the answer to a question that I meet. I renamed the esctemplate in the Extended Character Template to esctemplate_fox and put it into another mod's  anim as a skin. I use your code in modmain and character_none so that I see the option corresponding to esctemplate_fox when I choose skin. But after I enter the game world, I find that the character have the original skin instead of escplate_fox.

Edited by doyle_sherry

Hello to anyone still using this in their mod!
You should probably check for a crash when picking Wilson with your mod enabled!

You might want to update to using the newer Modded Skins [Api] on the workshop! Documentation can be found in this thread.

If you want to continue using this version for whatever reason, I believe I have found a fix...

Spoiler

The function "_G.SpawnNewPlayerOnServerFromSim" looks to be outdated, it doesn't call necessary variables, leaving them nil.
Luckily there is an easy solution:

Open your skins api file, it's most likely in the scripts folder if you forgot where you put it.

Search for a line that looks something like:
function _G.SpawnNewPlayerOnServerFromSim(player_guid, skin_base, clothing_body, clothing_hand, clothing_legs, clothing_feet)
There should be two relatively close to each other. (My first one was at line number 281)

Change the end of those two lines to include ellipsis.

So that you might go from:
function _G.SpawnNewPlayerOnServerFromSim(player_guid, skin_base, clothing_body, clothing_hand, clothing_legs, clothing_feet, starting_item_skins)
and
        _SpawnNewPlayerOnServerFromSim(player_guid, skin_base, clothing_body, clothing_hand, clothing_legs, clothing_feet, starting_item_skins)

to

function _G.SpawnNewPlayerOnServerFromSim(player_guid, skin_base, clothing_body, clothing_hand, clothing_legs, clothing_feet, starting_item_skins, ...)
and
        _SpawnNewPlayerOnServerFromSim(player_guid, skin_base, clothing_body, clothing_hand, clothing_legs, clothing_feet, starting_item_skins, ...)

I am not 100% sure this is the complete and total solution, but it seems to work.

Edited by Digi_056
formatting
  • Big Ups 1